cricket growth

Jewel

How fast do crickets grow? They never last long enough here to find out. I wanted to buy a large quantity of crickets so I need to know how fast they grow, example like how long does it take to go to the next size like from a 1/8 to 1/8. I just don't want to buy to many of one size.

I order 1000 at a time from http://www.Reptilefood.com (I have been really happy with them you get 1000 for $10.00 + shipping) and as you know I only have Kitty.
I find if you keep them cooler (65 - 70 degrees) and feed them oatmeal and romaine lettuce they last at least a couple months.
If they are warmer they grow faster.
Of course I put a few in the gutload box every night for the next days breakfast. They really eat that gutload too, after only having lettuce and rolled oats.
You will have some die off over the two month period but not many and I figure $8 a month (I think I paid $16 - something with shipping) is not a bad budget for crickets.

-Brad

Last edited:
Thanks Brad, I wish I could get crickets that cheap. I bought some at the expo a few weeks ago and they only lasted a week with having so many mouths to feed. My local pet store charges me $22.87 for 500 crickets and that doesn't even last a week. I would order some from Brandy but no one is usually home in the day to receive it and with winter here they will die. I think I will look into trying to breed my own crickets. I can't wait for the next expo in a month. But meanwhile I need a local source that is a little cheaper.

Sorry didn't even think about you being in Canada.
If you have them shipped with heat packs I think they would be okay.
Do you have a neighbor who could collect them or could you have them shipped to your work?
I really think you get screwed if you don't buy them online.

-Brad

Brad, not as easy as that. If the package sits on the doorstep, it could be subjected to a layer of ice, snow, hail, -20 Degrees... etc. If the box is taken back to the post office and put in storage for pickup, then the contents could overheat, or starve, eat each other, etc.

I sometimes have them shipped to a workplace.

I order 1000 at a time from http://www.Reptilefood.com (I have been really happy with them you get 1000 for $10.00 + shipping) and as you know I only have Kitty.
I find if you keep them cooler (65 - 70 degrees) and feed them oatmeal and romaine lettuce they last at least a couple months.
If they are warmer they grow faster.
Of course I put a few in the gutload box every night for the next days breakfast. They really eat that gutload too, after only having lettuce and rolled oats.
You will have some die off over the two month period but not many and I figure $8 a month (I think I paid $16 - something with shipping) is not a bad budget for crickets.

-Brad

This seems like a great plan for me :) ..I pay $1.50 per dozen..What type of set up do you keep them in..I dont really want to set up a ten gallon tank
and have to deal with cleaning it out. How big of a cage to house 1000 crickets to keep them from stresing and killing each other..and do they make a lot of noise? I am used to just going to the local store to pick up a couple dozen..he eats about 5 or 6 per day.and at least 5 always die. So I would not mind buying in bulk and raising Olivers food. Some stores are very dirty and I see a lot of dead crickets in the cage. I am paranoid that some bacteria or a sick cricket could get him sick...makes sense right? Its like if we eat some bad chineese food...so if I raise nice good strong healthy crickets..then Oliver will be nice and strong:D ..(your are what you eat)..if I eat crap like Mcdonalds..I usally feel like crap. I feel good when I eat good...:D

I use a large rubbermaid tub with a window cut out of the side and aluminum screening ductaped over the window.
They are kept dark and cool in a closet in the basement.

-Brad

I would be so fired if I had them delivered to work, I work in the produce dept. of a major grocerie store. Bugs are not a thing my boss wants at work plus the health inspectors would have a field day with that one.

Hi there. Canadian Feeders is a great company for buggies. I just ordered 1000 crickets from them. If u are not home to take the crickets they will go right back to thepost office where it is nice and warm. They require a signature for pickup for the safety of the feeders. They are pretty reasonable in price. I pay $25 for 1000 crickets, which is a lot better than $12 for 100 at the pets unlimited. This company is located in Ontario but also does shipments out from Halifax,Ns. They have extremely good prices on mealworms too, which is good cux Mr.Bobbers is quite the little piggy.

Back
Top Bottom