Cricket Feeder Questions

ubhuti

So I built a cricket feeder out on orange juice bottle and will be getting my cham on Tuesday.

Question is how do you guys get the crickets out of the keeper, into a cup for dusting, and then into the feeder in the cage? Also, once in the feeder, how long can they possibly stay in there before they figure out how to escape?

So I built a cricket feeder out on orange juice bottle and will be getting my cham on Tuesday.

Question is how do you guys get the crickets out of the keeper, into a cup for dusting, and then into the feeder in the cage? Also, once in the feeder, how long can they possibly stay in there before they figure out how to escape?

I scoop them out by hand and into a Baggie where I dust them and dump them in the cage. I used black tape on all the edges of my cage, so the crickets can't get out in my apartment.

I keep crickets in a small bucket, and just reach in and pick up however many crickets I want from it.

Your bottle, if you can fit your hand in, seems an awkward choice. I suppose you could "pour" the crickets out, but you'll also end up with cricket poop.

crickets live about 5-7 weeks, so how long they will live in your container will depend on how old they are and how well you care for them / feed them. If teh container has slick sides, they should not be able to crawl out of it

Thanks! I guess it is pretty easy to just scoop them by hand. I figured they would just hop out of the feeder.

I was planning on mounting this thing in the cage and dropping the crickets inside:

D9NNhwh.jpg

oh! I totally missunderstood. I didnt realize you meant the juice container was for inside the cage for the cham to eat out of.

Yes, the hole in the side cuts too low - the crickets will jump out.

if you cut another bottle, put the slice out of the side higher up. Put screen on the back wall that remains uncut, and the crickets will climb up that - and be easy prey for the cham. better also to use a more opaque bottle so that the cham isnt inclined to try to shoot through the clear sides.

or just use a couple of big bowls suspended in the cage (whch is what I do) that are too deep for the crickets to easily jump out of, sides too slick to crawl up, and big enough that they move around alot (stimulates natural hunting)

Looks good but I don't see any mesh or cardboard inside the cricket cup / Feeder. Without it the crickets wont be able to climb up and will sit near the bottom of the feeding cup.

Here are some pics of mine. I usually leave a few crickets in the entire day. I have yet to have a cricket escape from the feeder cup. and I use a pvc tube that I leave in the cricket keeper. Shake the crickets off in a tuper container sprinkle with calcium, and then dump into the cricket feeder where they climb right up and the games begin!

cup2_zps6c355fa7.jpg

cup5_zps2b8834c6.jpg

freerange3_zps08f81365.jpg

Got it! Thanks for those pics Jayce.

I will be adding screening and switching out the bottle for an opaque milk carton or sunny d container. I love the idea of decorating around the feeder. Are those fake flowers?

Got it! Thanks for those pics Jayce.

I will be adding screening and switching out the bottle for an opaque milk carton or sunny d container. I love the idea of decorating around the feeder. Are those fake flowers?

Yup they are all fake and just used hot glue to put them on the bottle.
And if the cup ever gets too dirty just take off the cap and run it off in hot water. Most of the poop just naturally accumulates around the inside of the bottle cap anyway so super easy cleaning. I Liked how you put what looks like electrical tape around the edges. I assume to avoid hurting the cham but like I said same can be achieved with a lighter and just slowly melting down the sharp edges.

Best of luck let me know how it turned out!!!

My cricket feeder is mainly for looks now a days and it is not doing great in the looks department either.....LOL

For some reason mine won't stay in there long. I think it is mainly with dust build up on the edges they can get a good enough grip to escape. I clean it every other day but I cannot figure out how else they are getting out. Crickets aren't the smartest but leave It to me to have bought some with a degree escape artistry :rolleyes:

I still use it though just makes putting them in there a bit easier. I may try a cup too though. I sometimes put a few in the Dubia cup but I have to take one of their back legs off and even then I see a cricket missing one back leg crawling on the top of the screen. Go figure......

Sandra what kind of cup are you using for the crickets?

My cricket feeder is mainly for looks now a days and it is not doing great in the looks department either.....LOL

For some reason mine won't stay in there long. I think it is mainly with dust build up on the edges they can get a good enough grip to escape. I clean it every other day but I cannot figure out how else they are getting out. Crickets aren't the smartest but leave It to me to have bought some with a degree escape artistry :rolleyes:

I still use it though just makes putting them in there a bit easier. I may try a cup too though. I sometimes put a few in the Dubia cup but I have to take one of their back legs off and even then I see a cricket missing one back leg crawling on the top of the screen. Go figure......

Sandra what kind of cup are you using for the crickets?

Make sure the plastic on the inside of the bottle is smooth and won't allow them to climb on. And I also have my cricket cup near the heat lamp. I'm sure you have seen crickets loose in the cage climb right up to the heat lamp and hangout there. I wonder if this has anything to do with the crickets staying in the cup without trying to escape.
I placed 7 large crickets in the cup in the morning saw Soc eat 2 and there are 5 still in there. Hah invisible cricket shield.!

Thanks for the info guys.

Yes the electrical tape was to protect his tongue but melting would've worked too.

I ended up just using a plastic Solo cup. The crickets have yet to escape, but my cham hasn't been able to figure out to eat out of it - granted he did just arrive today!

I use a shallow feeder cup for my chams. nothing special, just a paper soup bowl from the grocery store that i hang to the side of the cage. I like it shallow so the crickets can escape so they can be hunted. some escape and some don't. I guess it's not a feeder cup but a "dumping cup". LOL.

Back
Top Bottom