cricket doubt...

armando

hi everyone!
Im having a little concern in here....
Im starting my colony of crickets, a month or so before getting my first cham...
(I want to get used to them, and know everything very well...).
So.... My big container its placed outside in a safe shaded place... (Its really warm where I live, so... theres no need of having them inside, or with heat pads)...
I keep the top uncover, because it is really high for them to escape, ... (maybe one or two makes it... but thats ok)....
I got the crickets from my backyard... (they are about 40 - 50 ) ...
all of them look like this:

http://api.ning.com/files/FPdBgJRJ0...Fo*2exxiWJ9vN28xT3Q17jzUULJHU0F8/crickets.jpg

everything seems to be going fine... but.. just a minute ago, i went outside to make sure they had enough water and everything
and I was freaked out because there was one that looks like this:

http://www.genomenewsnetwork.org/gnn_images/news_content/01_02/Crickets/Crickets.jpg

first, I tought one of them was sick or something, but when It moved, I could see that it was different. Just like the black ones above..

My question is.....
Is that like the "adult stage" or something like that?
Or is it another cricket kind that somehow got inside there?
if it is... would it be dangerous for my other ones?

thanks so muy for your attention :D

In the first pic it looks like you have the black cricket hybrids. I'm not sure what you're trying to point out in the second pic though.

The adults will have full wings. If the cricket is a different species, maybe something else fell in?

You got them from your backyard, not from a distributor? I know a lot of people will tell you that isn't a good idea because they can carry parasites which can then make your chameleon very sick.

Hello Armando, it does look like you could have 2 different types of crickets but that is ok also. More crickets are better right? You are wise to start the crickets before you get your chameleon that way you will not have to stress over no food for your cham.

I would gutload the crickets well starting now and they should be very healthy for your chameleon. Things I gutload, (gutload is just feeding) with are leafy greens like kale, collard greens, mustard greens, dandelion flower & leaves, sweet red or green peppers - not the hot ones, sweet potato, apples, carrots, pears, oranges. Anything you have questions if crickets can eat just ask us. Make sure the crickets have a water source, even a piece of potato will work, or a damp sponge - but they stink unless you change them every day.

Good luck, you are on the way. Can't wait to see pictures when you get your chameleon.

Back
Top Bottom