Cricket Breeding?

ShaunaLynnA

Has anyone had luck with breeding crickets? How have you done it if so. I was thinking about getting into it so I don't have to order all the time and with the shortage right now thought it would be a help. I am wondering if it would even save money and things. Any information and help is appreciated!

Has anyone had luck with breeding crickets? How have you done it if so. I was thinking about getting into it so I don't have to order all the time and with the shortage right now thought it would be a help. I am wondering if it would even save money and things. Any information and help is appreciated!

My friend Mike Bannon. has successfully bred crickets. he bought bulk and put them into a rubbermaid storage tub put egg crate cocohusk on the bottom so they can lay the egss and in two weeks he had some babies! hes got over 1000 now! also it was his first time breeding them. he used paper towels so they could drink. and fed it carrots cricket quencher, and other veggies and fruits :)

I have tried 3 times and the first 2 times the crickets laid the eggs..but the stupid ants came and started carrying the eggs away:eek::eek:

Anyways this is how i did it the last time. Put a deli cup, or some kind of container(cottage cheese container works well LOL) and fill it up with soil. Not from outside though. Then place it in with the adult crickets and leave it in for a day or 2. Maybe even 4 days if you wish. Then put the lid on, poke some holes, add water in the container EVERY DAY as they need to be moist and have high humidity, and incubate in a warm room. Maybe the basement or garage. I use the garage. The 12-14 days later you have babies hatching! WOO HOO

Thank you everyone for the thoughts and how to! I will be looking into it and hopefully all goes well!

jamncristian,
Thanks for the link on the way to look it over now!!

I have tried 3 times and the first 2 times the crickets laid the eggs..but the stupid ants came and started carrying the eggs away:eek::eek:

Anyways this is how i did it the last time. Put a deli cup, or some kind of container(cottage cheese container works well LOL) and fill it up with soil. Not from outside though. Then place it in with the adult crickets and leave it in for a day or 2. Maybe even 4 days if you wish. Then put the lid on, poke some holes, add water in the container EVERY DAY as they need to be moist and have high humidity, and incubate in a warm room. Maybe the basement or garage. I use the garage. The 12-14 days later you have babies hatching! WOO HOO

really?! I am horrible at it! I will try it again next week when i go and buy new crickets :) thanks for the idea :) I like dubias at first I was scared of them but now they are like rollie pollies :D

I did it by accident. I was feeding one of my tarantula's and the female laid eggs and a couple weeks later his cage was swarming with little baby crickets. So I guess all you have to do is have a cage filled with some coco fiber and let the females roam in there for a couple days and take them out, wait a few weeks and you'll have babies :) Also my room stays at 77-80 degrees usually if this helps.

i am planning on breeding crickets too, this was an excellent link, but because there were mo pics( & i am a visual person) i got lost in a coupls of aspects.
If anyone knows where some pics of the setup is, or have pics of there own, sharing would be greatly appreciated:D
When i put the egg flat in vertically, how much space is between them? do i glue the bottoms together so they are opposite directions? Or the same? They want me to put the egg flat until only 4" from the top, then put 2 pint sized containers on top for food & the breeding medium, will there be enough room? What exactly is quilt batting? is that an american term? Is it the same as cotton batting? Any & all answers would be appreciated! Thanks:D

i also meant to ask....the 4x4 holes i cut out on opposite sides for ventilation, should they be on the bottom, middle, or top of the side?

I used a small cup with potting soil and removed and put is in small fish tank. I now have little crickets I am trying to get to grow.

I forgot to mention that you must change the baby crickets food out every day and maybe add some water crystals in a small little dish. Keep them warm and they will grow pretty fast. I have tons of newly hatched crickets and pins from a member on here that sent me eggs to hatch out:)

Back
Top Bottom