cricket breeding age

nadine

hello everyone!

i thought about giving the do-it-yourself cricket supply a shot, since the number of the hungry mouth to feed is steadily increasing :D

i found plenty of information on the "how-to" on the internet, but i wondered in what age cricket are mature enouh to breed and lay eggs?

i usual order 500 to 100 1/2 grown cricket, with the last order a few days ago i put a little container with moist dirt in with them.

for this size of crickets - worthless yet? what is the minumum size for crickets to start laying eggs successfully?

thanks a lot
nadine

When they start chirping. This is around the 6 week mark or 3/4" mark. They then will live another 3-4 weeks and then die at the tongues of our masters or just smell up the cage with their corpses.

awesome!

this helps, thank you :) they are noisy already, so guess they are ready to start the party :D

nadine

What you should try next time so you know you have tons of healthy adults. Buy 4week old crickets and grow them in a warm room with food. in two weeks time they will mature chirp, and breed. By then they should be healthy well hydrated adults that are laying healthy eggs giving you larger amounts of babies.
Sometimes the adults people sell are expired dehydrated adults.

In about 40-50 days at about 80 to 85 degree temperature they will be ready to breed. You can tell the ones that are adults and ready to breed as they would of shed for the last time and have the hard exoskeleton with wings compared to the other crickets that are soft and squishy and do not have the wings yet.

How fast they grow all depends on the temperature you have them at. You can really slow the growth by keeping them cooler and they will grow like crazy if you keep them 80 degrees and higher and even faster if you have a heating pad underneath the bin. I did a test by having some of the pinheads in a bin at about 80 degrees with no heating pad and then other pinheads in a bin that was about 87 degrees with a heating pad. After about 3 weeks the ones in the bin with the heating pad grew to about 3 times the size of the ones in the 80 degree bin.

The first two pics are of an adult male and female ready to breed and lay eggs. The last 2 pics are of a sub adult male and female not with wings yet and are not ready.

Adult_Male.jpg

Adult_Female.jpg

Two Sub Adults

Sub_Adult_Male.jpg

Sub_Adult_Female.jpg

Back
Top Bottom