Crested Shield Fern?

TwiceVeiled

Avid Member
Hello everyone! I was on a walk in the wetlands/woods behind our place and noticed some lovely ferns growing. I looked them up and they seem to be Crested Shield Ferns. http://ontarioferns.com/main/species.php?id=4008 I am wondering if ferns in general are likely veiled safe (as our veiled is a pothos eating machine) and whether it is worth a go... or too riskly? I did try checking the cham safe listed but this fern specifically I did not see listed.

Thanks if anyone has some input. I would not want to jeopardize our cham's well being on a risk but if ferns are generally good then maybe I could try some in the enclosure.

Thanks for any advice!

I am sure there are exceptions, but at least most should be ok.

I have had fiddle heads ( the fern leaves before they uncurl). I was looking how to collect them, and nothing ever said “look out for this Fern”. They are for human consumption, and pretty tasty, like a green bean.

I am sure there are exceptions, but at least most should be ok.

I have had fiddle heads ( the fern leaves before they uncurl). I was looking how to collect them, and nothing ever said “look out for this Fern”. They are for human consumption, and pretty tasty, like a green bean.
Thank you for your input! I think I'll give them a go! I think they will also create some nice shady areas in the enclosure which would we welcome.

Thanks again!

Some bracken ferns produce allelopathic chemicals Which can effect other plants detrimentally. Also i know for fact (braken)a type of fern is carcinogenic if ingested.
They also spore like mushrooms and have strange effects on insects i would be cautious with fern type plants. It may only be braken (which is norse for fern) that us really bad news but i would definitely look the fern up, i only know these as i live near lake District which has lots of bracken. I avoid walking through bracken as ticks live in them too.

Some bracken ferns produce allelopathic chemicals Which can effect other plants detrimentally. Also i know for fact (braken)a type of fern is carcinogenic if ingested.
They also spore like mushrooms and have strange effects on insects i would be cautious with fern type plants. It may only be braken (which is norse for fern) that us really bad news but i would definitely look the fern up, i only know these as i live near lake District which has lots of bracken. I avoid walking through bracken as ticks live in them too.
Thank you for this. I was seeing if it might be bracken but I don't think so - but I am going to proceed with caution..... Thank you!

Personally I would not risk it but that is my opinion for my cham. Taking out the is it toxic or harmful. Ferns are less tolerant of weight on them as well so it is not going to support your chams weight should she try to climb on it.

Personally I would not risk it but that is my opinion for my cham. Taking out the is it toxic or harmful. Ferns are less tolerant of weight on them as well so it is not going to support your chams weight should she try to climb on it.
Thank you for your input. I will have to think about it. I don't want to endanger our cham in any way. I am preparing for a green wall in the enclosure and thought I might put small ferns in some of the pockets, but pothos and spider plants are great too... I'll do more research before moving ahead. Thanks so much!

Thank you for your input. I will have to think about it. I don't want to endanger our cham in any way. I am preparing for a green wall in the enclosure and thought I might put small ferns in some of the pockets, but pothos and spider plants are great too... I'll do more research before moving ahead. Thanks so much!
Here is a great link with plants... The ones that have been used with Veileds say Veiled tested https://chameleonacademy.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/Chameleon-Plants-122819.pdf

Back
Top Bottom