Crazy Chameleon Lady

sharlaxle

Ok so apparently I am now known to the various kids on the block as the chameleon lady.
There was a rare day of sun yesterday and so I hauled all of the cham cages in front of my wall of window. Floor to ceiling window covers the wall facing the backyard. So I get off early and come home about 3:30 and I walk in to find about 8 kids all standing with their eyes and noses pressed against the windows running from cage to cage to play the chameleon version of where's waldo.
Well needless to say after I picked myself back up from laughing, I gave in and walked over to the back door and opened it. One of the kids pipped up with, "We heard the lizard lady will let us see them if we ask nice, will you?"
Yeah I did. We had a 20 minutes show and tell session of Chameleons, care and husbandry, and ended it with opening my most outgoing females cage so she could climb all over her new "breathing free range". Although to tell you the truth I think they forgot to breathe. :rolleyes:
Then I chased the kids home, (after prying a very reluctant cham off of one, she hates to be put back in her cage) and fed everyone.
Yep I am now known as the crazy Chameleon lady..
So what kind of things have you all done to earn the name?
Sharl

i have not yet earned the crazy chameleon lady name but i have earned the snake lady name by taking my snakes into many classrooms and educating students on what they are and what they need :)

i also wanted to say that is just awesome that you had such a inspiring moment with the neighborhood kids, i guarantee that is something they will not forget for a very long time :) its an amazing feeling to make an impression on a childs life big or small and introducing them to this awesome creature is definitely one of those moments!!!

That is awesome! I hope to one day be as cool as you! (we only have 1 cham...not multiples!) I would LOVE to be the Crazy Cham Lady! :D

"Its the lizard house" the kids all shout every Halloween. Since 97 ive put lizards in the candy bowl. It gets interesting when the kids ive served start bringing their own kids. The new comers in the hood still call them iguanas, and the parents always tell the kids they are fake (most parents stay in the street). You just hear the kids saying "no they were real".

I'm cham-less at the moment, but I am rat girl. When I was little I used to rollerblade everywhere with my white rat on my shoulder nestled in my hair.

I'm thinking about getting a little cham-harness and going for walks with him where my little rat used to hang...lol Gotta soak up that sun when you have it in Cleveland!

How cool.. am a little overwhelmed w 3 at the moment am still thinking all these months later.. what was I thinking! I think am a one cham owner not sure why care is same. Think its the cleaning that gets me... w all the other animals plus them not needing to be out at the same time is a bit of rocket science for me at the moment. Will get it all figured out. It would be so cool to be one of those kids. What a privilege.

I've been the crazy snake lady in our neighborhood for 23+ years and in parts farther away for about 10--first, I taught my boys how to catch snakes safely, let them bring WC snakes home and keep them, etc. Their friends and the neighborhood kids would come over bringing new friends or cousins or whatever, telling the others, "This is the neatest mom on our block--she lets HER sons have SNAKES!!!"

Then their teachers began asking me to bring snakes to school and teach about them. More recently, after my boys grew up, I became involved with the local herp society and began going to schools and libraries in nearby cities with other herpers to provide such educational opportunities. This summer we have a summer youth camp scheduled at one of the libraries; I'm supposed to bring ball pythons up--not a hardship, believe me! I really enjoy helping people recognize the value and beauty in snakes and other herps.

My screen name, Chu'Wuti (your system won't let me spell it correctly, but oh, well) means Snake Woman in Hopi.

'Nuff said! Sandy

It's funny I'm known for something completely different around my local petstores and friends. I am known for hermit crabs, though I have several fish tanks and a Cham among other animals. Just the hermit crabs I think I take care of so well compared to the average person that they realize they have no idea what they are doing.

I have 13 hermit crabs in a 40 gallon long, and most of them have either been adopted or saved from bad situations. I do have one Strawberry hermie whom I love to death and is my largest about the size of my palm, he I saved from a local pet store where they kept him with fish gravel and no heat. It was sad.

So yes I have been known as the crazy crab girl around here and am proud to wear the title XD.

PS Each one has a name too XD

I have adopted the title of the chameleon girl.

Practically everyone at school hears that I had a chameleon, next thing you know I'm telling them everything about them.. And then chameleon girl.

"Oh you know SaintJimmy?"
"Yeah she's that girl with the cham" pretty much.x

It's funny I'm known for something completely different around my local petstores and friends. I am known for hermit crabs, though I have several fish tanks and a Cham among other animals. Just the hermit crabs I think I take care of so well compared to the average person that they realize they have no idea what they are doing.

I have 13 hermit crabs in a 40 gallon long, and most of them have either been adopted or saved from bad situations. I do have one Strawberry hermie whom I love to death and is my largest about the size of my palm, he I saved from a local pet store where they kept him with fish gravel and no heat. It was sad.

So yes I have been known as the crazy crab girl around here and am proud to wear the title XD.

PS Each one has a name too XD

Not to hijack the thread, but how long are hermit crabs supposed to live?

My brother and I had some and they were awesome, though not very active.
Lasted us 2 yrs.

In captivity I think the longest living ones have lived to be 40 years or so, but the average is like 20-30 years and during the entire time they DON'T stop growing, so they get pretty big. My strawberry will probably get to be softball size if he lives around the norm. The only species that is considered really small I think is the Ecuadorian which only grows to golf ball size. I will eventually upgrade to an 80 gallon for my hermits.

In captivity I think the longest living ones have lived to be 40 years or so, but the average is like 20-30 years and during the entire time they DON'T stop growing, so they get pretty big. My strawberry will probably get to be softball size if he lives around the norm. The only species that is considered really small I think is the Ecuadorian which only grows to golf ball size. I will eventually upgrade to an 80 gallon for my hermits.

Darrrnnn man that is a long time.

See now I feel bad, because our hermit crabs had no light either. Just sand and a coconut shell and a water dish really. I thought that's all they needed.

See now I'm interested in avenging my poor little 2 year old dead hermit crab by taking in another. :(

I sent you a message and I can help you figure out a good set up, that way we don't really screw up the thread XD

Nice story:D Sounds like we may have some future cham keepers on out hands:)

Oh, definitely! But I want to do it RIGHT by preparing everything in advance of obtaining the cham. That's always my preferred method of pet ownership, though sometimes I'm forced to get onto a high and super-fast learning curve if it's a rescue situation. Right now I have the luxury of taking the time to really learn and prepare thoroughly so the cham we get will be treated properly from the get-go.

At this rate, I may have to change Chu'Wuti to Herp'Wuti! (Too bad Hopi doesn't have a word for herp!)

I am so happy to see how many of you endeavor to share your love of chams and other herps with kids, help educate them, etc. That is soooo important nowadays--too many kids don't get to/don't interact with nature enough (either because nature is not very accessible or because they spend too much time watching TV and playing games on Wi, etc.), so they're losing touch with the natural world and don't understand its very real importance in relation to themselves and humanity.

Fun thread!

Sandy

Back
Top Bottom