craigslist chameleon.

Joann

There is someone wanting to sell their 2yo veiled on craigslist.I contacted them but want a pic.If I post it can you all tell if its healthy?
They dont mention anything but a cage(could be a tank I dont know) and food so Im worried about MBD.
Also they say the "kids" are scared of it so they are getting rid of it.
I dont mind it being aggressive but the fact that it belongs to kids is also worrying..

What do you think, should I just run away or try and play the hero and adopt this.I dont know what they are asking yet for a price..

RUN don't walk. My sis has veiled - healthy veilds- and she is in MO. Unless you can be sure of the condition, and I don't know how you could, don't get a sick chameleon for your first experience. jmo

RUN don't walk. My sis has veiled - healthy veilds- and she is in MO. Unless you can be sure of the condition, and I don't know how you could, don't get a sick chameleon for your first experience. jmo

really agree with this! I did the whole rescue a sick chameleon thing and its been so difficult not even knowing that "normal" is!

Okay, I just feel bad for it.But your right I dont know what normal is and I wouldnt know what to look for.I do know what MBD is but thats about it.
Thanks

No matter where you get it or what you get, go for a healthy captive breed one if you can. That is by far the best way to start. If you check out classified you can find good chams. also our sponsors have great chams for sale.

If you posted a pic we most likely could tell you if it had MBD but there might be underlying health issues also if it was not properly taken care of even if MBD was not present. Most individuals selling their chameleons on craigslist are not going to give you a healthy guarantee like the site sponsors will. You are much better off going with them.

They want 150 but the cage is only 18x18x24 so essentially useless.And first she told me UVB but the ad she updated says uva so who knows.He doesnt look that bad though.
She uses a fountain, not sure if that would work like a drip system or not though?

topeka.craigslist org/pet/2223276946.html

Last edited by a moderator:
need more pics of him. looks skinny and part of his casque has been damaged at one point. eyes are squinting this could be nothing but it also could be something. maybe dehydrated, lighting or ill.

I did get my veiled male, Saki, from Craig's list. I love him dearly, but in hindsight, I did not ask the correct questions, (my fault). He has a non-working tongue, that even with month's of correct lighting, supplements, proper gut-loading of feeders, has never improved. I was so eager to get him. Just make sure to ask lots of questions, if you do decide to check it out, don't feel obligated to make the purchase if it does not look good in person. I am still glad I have him, just wish I would have slowed down and thought it out more carefully. Mine came in a glass terrarium, wrong light,substrated bottom,(which broke the glass, discovered after purchase),wrong supplements, etc.. Of course I fixed all husbandry issues, but still, I have never felt confident that he is 100% healthy.

I guess Ill pass on it.I think people always ask too much for these half sick pets.They want all the money they spent back, like its the animals fault for not being a good enough pet.
Personally I think they should pay us to take the animal.

I will bide my time, eventually I will get the right chameleon.Its too cold for shipping and I need to build a setup first anyway.Im just getting ahead of myself.

Did my good deed for the day. Sent the person an email- "Though not interested in buying your chameleon, I thought I'd pass on some information for anyone who buys it. From the ad it looks like there are some things wrong with your husbandry (not your fault of course! I'm sure some pet store misinformed you, they tend to do that). UVA is the wrong bulb to use, UVB is what it needs (maybe you just wrote the wrong one?). Also, a heat rock is not needed at all, and a fountain can breed bacteria in an enclosure- they will drink from a dripper or misting system or by hand misting. I would direct anyone interested in your chameleon to www.chameleonforums.com, everyone on there is very helpful and can answer any questions regarding chameleons. Just trying to be helpful :)"

At least, hopefully, anyone who does buy the cham they will get some sort of help by being directed here.

Did my good deed for the day. Sent the person an email- "Though not interested in buying your chameleon, I thought I'd pass on some information for anyone who buys it. From the ad it looks like there are some things wrong with your husbandry (not your fault of course! I'm sure some pet store misinformed you, they tend to do that). UVA is the wrong bulb to use, UVB is what it needs (maybe you just wrote the wrong one?). Also, a heat rock is not needed at all, and a fountain can breed bacteria in an enclosure- they will drink from a dripper or misting system or by hand misting. I would direct anyone interested in your chameleon to www.chameleonforums.com, everyone on there is very helpful and can answer any questions regarding chameleons. Just trying to be helpful :)"

At least, hopefully, anyone who does buy the cham they will get some sort of help by being directed here.

Good job kaylie!

Does your sister still have any available

Back
Top Bottom