Covid and the emotional aspects

Beman

Social Media Manager
Staff member
While I know typically people do not share the emotional... I thought it would be nice to have a thread here where we could. Keeping it free of political BS. Sharing our thoughts and feelings. Funny memes that may give us a laugh.

As for myself we are now what 4 weeks in? I dunno my days are starting to blur together. While I have not lost income since I am self employed this is a fear since my clients are losing income. The trickle down effect is a concern.

I have been the one to venture out in the chaos to go grocery shopping as my mother is high risk. My daughter is 15 and being online schooled now. That is a whole different disaster I am dealing with. I find myself in this awkward position of trying to work, provide, be a teacher, be strong for my family, be a support for my friends, and try to hold it all together.

That is the key right putting on a happy face so others are ok???? This has started to back fire on me. I feel the cracks in my mental stability. The wishing for life to go back to normal. To be able to just drive my daughter to school and wish her a good day. Run to store to get something without having to wear a mask and gloves. Without the fear of illness that has the potential to kill.

So my thought here is since we are a community maybe sharing will be helpful to others. For us ALL to know that we are not alone in our anxiety over the current pandemic.

I am still at work because most of what we do is food labeling and is an essential part of the food supply chain. We cannot work remotely. I find I've become hyper vigilant. Every cough, sneeze and mystery noise my coworkers make puts me on edge. I have serious doubts about their hygiene and ability to cover their mouths when they cough etc. It's taken me a while to drill distancing into their heads. I had to put a dog gate up to keep them out of my cubicle. The office manager and I have put up posters on hand washing and distancing everywhere practical. By Friday I'm exhausted from having my head on a swivel. That seems to be the worst of it for me otherwise I'm managing.
I know that before very long we will look back on this and much of it will be funny. That day can't come soon enough.
I've found it's been nice to see my neighbors interacting more as families. I've seen fathers with their kids I've never seen together before. Good things are happening and bonds are being strengthened. The silver lining is faint but it is there.

I am still at work because most of what we do is food labeling and is an essential part of the food supply chain. We cannot work remotely. I find I've become hyper vigilant. Every cough, sneeze and mystery noise my coworkers make puts me on edge. I have serious doubts about their hygiene and ability to cover their mouths when they cough etc. It's taken me a while to drill distancing into their heads. I had to put a dog gate up to keep them out of my cubicle. The office manager and I have put up posters on hand washing and distancing everywhere practical. By Friday I'm exhausted from having my head on a swivel. That seems to be the worst of it for me otherwise I'm managing.
I know that before very long we will look back on this and much of it will be funny. That day can't come soon enough.
I've found it's been nice to see my neighbors interacting more as families. I've seen fathers with their kids I've never seen together before. Good things are happening and bonds are being strengthened. The silver lining is faint but it is there.
Thank you for sharing Jillian <3

Both of my parents worked from home before all of this happened so nothing has really changed. I have online school and it’s my little brothers first year of kindergarten so I have to help him with that. Making lunches, laundry, being a teacher and a student it very stressful but I fell like I’m handling it the best that I can. My mission trip got canceled and our team had been working around the clock to figure things out since it would be our first overnight week long trip. It’s sad to see all of that go to waste and I know it was to be expected but my mind didn’t think that all of this would last this long. School just got canceled for the year so seeing all of my friends that I can’t get in touch with is out the window. Being in touch with friends and family is one of the most important things right now that has helped me. Just being able to talk and make it seem normal for a few minutes resolves my sanity. Most of my extended family’s birthdays are in April so it’s really cool to put on parades for them and see everyone come together for one person. I think that when this world pandemic is over a lot of people will come closer together and things will be different. This will be a really cool book to read when I’m older and be able to say I survived it. Hope all is well ❤

Both of my parents worked from home before all of this happened so nothing has really changed. I have online school and it’s my little brothers first year of kindergarten so I have to help him with that. Making lunches, laundry, being a teacher and a student it very stressful but I fell like I’m handling it the best that I can. My mission trip got canceled and our team had been working around the clock to figure things out since it would be our first overnight week long trip. It’s sad to see all of that go to waste and I know it was to be expected but my mind didn’t think that all of this would last this long. School just got canceled for the year so seeing all of my friends that I can’t get in touch with is out the window. Being in touch with friends and family is one of the most important things right now that has helped me. Just being able to talk and make it seem normal for a few minutes resolves my sanity. Most of my extended family’s birthdays are in April so it’s really cool to put on parades for them and see everyone come together for one person. I think that when this world pandemic is over a lot of people will come closer together and things will be different. This will be a really cool book to read when I’m older and be able to say I survived it. Hope all is well ❤
Thank you for sharing hun. I know that my daughter is having a hard time coping with the changes specifically being able to go to school and have real instruction. I am happy you have a loving support system to lean on. :)

I haven't seen a single person for over 40 days now...I text...I call...I get videos sometimes... but I haven't seen my kids or grandkids or friends or relatives for over 40 days...I'm getting so tired of being alone. This too shall pass...I hope.

The only good thing about all of this is that I haven't had one telemarketing call in 40 days! That is so nice!

I haven't seen a single person for over 40 days now...I text...I call...I get videos sometimes... but I haven't seen my kids or grandkids or friends or relatives for over 40 days...I'm getting so tired of being alone. This too shall pass...I hope.

The only good thing about all of this is that I haven't had one telemarketing call in 40 days! That is so nice!
We love you and although we are not your blood family we are here for you as well. <3

My mom was the same way...we caved in last week and let her come over for dinner to see grandkids, she started crying, i felt so bad that it was so long. She use to come over like 3 times a week to eat dinner.

I work at an elementary school. It is so different to not be able to see any of my kiddos. And when I do see them in a store or something they run up to me to give me a hug, and I have to crush their little hearts and tell them we have to social distance, so they cant have a hug. I just keep thinking of my kids who do not have the best home lives. What is happening with them these days? And who is helping them with meals or schoolwork, or any of the daily essentials I was there for.
Other than that the isolation isnt too bad for me. My daughter is doing the online distant learning, but me, already being a teachers assistant, it is actually easier to only help one kid!!! ?

I will tell you tho, this pandemic has been very scary since my husband has lung cancer already gets short of breath just standing up, or walking to the next room. Our household CANNOT risk contracting this virus. That is highly stressful. Being vigilent with our small particle masks and gloves and sanitizer...it gets old.

Idt much has changed for me other than being grumpy about the state of things. My kids still see their grandparent's and we still have dinners(it's their choice).

I know you said don't get political, and I'm not much for political leanings, but I can't help thinking that a lot of this is politically motivated.

I work at an elementary school. It is so different to not be able to see any of my kiddos. And when I do see them in a store or something they run up to me to give me a hug, and I have to crush their little hearts and tell them we have to social distance, so they cant have a hug. I just keep thinking of my kids who do not have the best home lives. What is happening with them these days? And who is helping them with meals or schoolwork, or any of the daily essentials I was there for.
Other than that the isolation isnt too bad for me. My daughter is doing the online distant learning, but me, already being a teachers assistant, it is actually easier to only help one kid!!! ?

I will tell you tho, this pandemic has been very scary since my husband has lung cancer already gets short of breath just standing up, or walking to the next room. Our household CANNOT risk contracting this virus. That is highly stressful. Being vigilent with our small particle masks and gloves and sanitizer...it gets old.
I am sorry to hear about your husband. That is very stressful. I was talking to a friend of mine about the teachers. I would imagine the hardest hit are the elementary kids and the teachers that become such a big part of their lives.

Oh and I don't mean that as let the compromised die... I think the compromised should be social distancing and have support, whether it be money/deliveries/etc. I think the rest of us should get back to functioning though.

Sorry for derailing a bit, just wanted to be clear about what I was saying.

In SF Bay Area we have also been locked away since march 12 but not alot of cases so thats good. I work remotely anyway on oncology clinical trials and I am very concerned with our oncology patients. Alot of trials are not enrolling new patients or are on hold to start and for patients with only months to live without a new treatment this is a tragedy. On a different note I have so many video happy hours with friends that I now have zoom, skype, google hangout, google duo, facetime etc based on everyone's preference. My gym is offering zoom pilates so keeping up there and with weight training. This is all getting old I know but we have to keep on isolating for now. The world will definitely be changed for quite awhile but I hope some things will be for the best.

My mom was the same way...we caved in last week and let her come over for dinner to see grandkids, she started crying, i felt so bad that it was so long. She use to come over like 3 times a week to eat dinner.

I used to see my grandkids every second week. I miss it so much. I'd even be happy if they skyped me.

@AmandaS ...sorry to hear about your husband. You do have to be even more careful. I could see my son if they were all isolated...but they can't all be. The grandkids are doing home schooling. Stay safe to protect your husband.

@Sharon12 are you a doctor, nurse?

Stay safe everyone.

I used to see my grandkids every second week. I miss it so much. I'd even be happy if they skyped me.

@AmandaS ...sorry to hear about your husband. You do have to be even more careful. I could see my son if they were all isolated...but they can't all be. The grandkids are doing home schooling. Stay safe to protect your husband.

@Sharon12 are you a doctor, nurse?

Stay safe everyone.
I am actually a scientist and after a research career now work in oncology clinical trial strategy with west coast biotechs.

My kids hate it!! One going into high school the other in middle school, one has a birthday on monday......their mom is a state worker she's one week on 1 off, I'm working construction considered essential, we are lucky to be working..... the kids hate it...losing out on a critical part of social activities development....planet earth is getting a break from pollution

Back
Top Bottom