Couple questions

Kostas

Ok so basically i got kinda discouraged from building my own cage ( go figure lol). So i decided to buy it.
Just wanted to know what you guys think and do i need anything else besides what im ordering.

cage:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/XXL-48x24x24-Screen-Reptile-Cage-DIY-CAGES-SC-4-FREE-SHIPPING-ALUMINUM-NEW/121122298597?_trksid=p2045573.m2042&_trkparms=aid%3D111000%26algo%3DREC.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D27%26meid%3D8545510904089192859%26pid%3D100033%26prg%3D1011%26rk%3D1%26sd%3D121122298597%26

Dual bulb fixture ( not sure or single domes are better or not) :
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Zilla-Incandescent-Dual-Bulb-Fixture-for-Reptile-Light-/140956337794?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20d1a70682
UVB light :
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Exo-Terra-tropical-Reptile-UVB-100-26w-UVB-Light-/310684441483?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item48563c5b8b
Basking :
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Zoo-Med-Reptile-Repti-Basking-Spot-Light-Heat-Lamp-Bulb-SL-50-watt-/290920222568?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43bc324f68

now i wasnt really sure about this bulb and if i could get any info on it would be greatly appreciated.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Exo-Terra-Repti-Glo-10-0-Compact-Desert-26w-PT2189-UVB-UVA-Reptile-Basking-Light-/270952362087?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f1604f067

Does this lightbulb contains basking and uvb light all in one and how good is it.
Gonna update abit more in a bit at work lol
Oh and its for carpet or veiled chameleon not sure yet or im gonna be able to find carpet.

I'm going to save you some money and you're going to thank me for it later :D

Buy only the cage from your list.

And then as far as lighting, go to any home improvement/hardware store and buy the following:

- A linear fluorescent fixture (aim for 24")
- A normal incandescent or hallogen bulb (for heat, typically 40-60w is enough)
- A light dome

- And then online order a linear fluorescent bulb, preferably a Reptisun 5.0 or 10.0 in the same length as your fixture. I find mine on Amazon for a lot less than in stores.

The linear lights are better for UVB because they spread it across the cage evenly, so your chameleon can choose to sit under the UVB but not under the heat. The heat bulb doesn't have to be reptile brand, as they don't do anything that the light on your desk isn't doing already (producing light and heat.) So you can get a $4 6 pack of incandescents instead of $9 for one light.

And then the fixtures don't have to come from a reptile brand either. Home improvement stores sell them for less money and they work just as well. The reptile brand fixtures that actually do anything (come with nice reflectors and such) are much more expensive, but these typical pet store ones are nothing special.

I worked at a pet store and cringed when I sold people these products, they're such a scam! To think people pay $15 for a heat light that they could get for $2.

And finally, check the classifieds here on the forum - there's a member that I think is selling a few carpets right now.

I'm going to save you some money and you're going to thank me for it later :D

Buy only the cage from your list.

And then as far as lighting, go to any home improvement/hardware store and buy the following:

- A linear fluorescent fixture (aim for 24")
- A normal incandescent or hallogen bulb (for heat, typically 40-60w is enough)
- A light dome

- And then online order a linear fluorescent bulb, preferably a Reptisun 5.0 or 10.0 in the same length as your fixture. I find mine on Amazon for a lot less than in stores.

The linear lights are better for UVB because they spread it across the cage evenly, so your chameleon can choose to sit under the UVB but not under the heat. The heat bulb doesn't have to be reptile brand, as they don't do anything that the light on your desk isn't doing already (producing light and heat.) So you can get a $4 6 pack of incandescents instead of $9 for one light.

And then the fixtures don't have to come from a reptile brand either. Home improvement stores sell them for less money and they work just as well. The reptile brand fixtures that actually do anything (come with nice reflectors and such) are much more expensive, but these typical pet store ones are nothing special.

I worked at a pet store and cringed when I sold people these products, they're such a scam! To think people pay $15 for a heat light that they could get for $2.

And finally, check the classifieds here on the forum - there's a member that I think is selling a few carpets right now.
Thank you for info :)
And yeah linear lights do sound better, im just basically trying to set everything up perfect so any input is much appreciated :)
And couple more questions actually:
Misting not really sure or automatic ones would be good or no, unless theres easy way to make diy misting system that i could put on timed outlet.
Im gonna do my own humidifier with air pump and couple gallon jug. im kinda concerned about humidity in cage, cuz ac is always running inside our apartment ( florida eh).

I love my automatic misting system (Mistking) and I certainly don't regret the investment. I know others have figured out how to make their own drip/mist systems but I haven't been able to, so I have to buy something pre-made. Both Mistking and Aquazamp are great systems for a little over $100 and work superbly.

As far as humidity, it's ok if it's not at a perfect 80% all day long, every day. So don't worry if it fluctuates between mistings, but lots of live plants will keep the humidity up and you can cover up 2-3 sides of the cage to hold it in (with whatever you prefer, but something like a shower curtain or painter's plastic taped to the sides, for example).

I love my automatic misting system (Mistking) and I certainly don't regret the investment. I know others have figured out how to make their own drip/mist systems but I haven't been able to, so I have to buy something pre-made. Both Mistking and Aquazamp are great systems for a little over $100 and work superbly.

As far as humidity, it's ok if it's not at a perfect 80% all day long, every day. So don't worry if it fluctuates between mistings, but lots of live plants will keep the humidity up and you can cover up 2-3 sides of the cage to hold it in (with whatever you prefer, but something like a shower curtain or painter's plastic taped to the sides, for example).
I see, yeah im gonna go with live plants.
Well for misting i saw Zoo Med Habba Mist (rather cheaper alternative) with intervals and all but wasn't sure how good it is.

I see, yeah im gonna go with live plants.
Well for misting i saw Zoo Med Habba Mist (rather cheaper alternative) with intervals and all but wasn't sure how good it is.

The Habba Mist is horrible, honestly. If you run a search on the forum it is full of people who complaint that it never works, or stops working, or breaks. It's just throwing away money most of the time, unfortunately.

I'd do a search here and on Youtube because I know people have made successful DIY misters or drippers, I just can't remember any or I would link to them. There are patio misters that hook up to a hose, perhaps those can be tweaked to work indoors, I just don't know how.

The Habba Mist is horrible, honestly. If you run a search on the forum it is full of people who complaint that it never works, or stops working, or breaks. It's just throwing away money most of the time, unfortunately.

I'd do a search here and on Youtube because I know people have made successful DIY misters or drippers, I just can't remember any or I would link to them. There are patio misters that hook up to a hose, perhaps those can be tweaked to work indoors, I just don't know how.

I see thanks for letting me know :)

what about reptifoger with additional dripping system ? just a thought

You can always make a sort of "rain" system, as I've sort of done with my Meller's chameleon. She drinks pretty heavily and the mist takes too long to collect into large drops so essentially I have a spare misting pump that pumps water into a large, flat container on the cage with lots of tiny pin holes and the water rains down as long as the pump is on. I think perhaps a fountain pump from Home Depot (about $30 or less?) might do the job just as well, if all you need is water for dripping.

The fogger is fine for relative humidity but it won't really collect water on the leaves, or at least not for a long while. I'm not certain, though, I have never had or used one.

You can always make a sort of "rain" system, as I've sort of done with my Meller's chameleon. She drinks pretty heavily and the mist takes too long to collect into large drops so essentially I have a spare misting pump that pumps water into a large, flat container on the cage with lots of tiny pin holes and the water rains down as long as the pump is on. I think perhaps a fountain pump from Home Depot (about $30 or less?) might do the job just as well, if all you need is water for dripping.

The fogger is fine for relative humidity but it won't really collect water on the leaves, or at least not for a long while. I'm not certain, though, I have never had or used one.

Thanks i found yesterday one real cool diy https://www.chameleonforums.com/my-own-rain-system-50100/
wich im probably gonna end up doing at this point, i like rain way better then mist and all. Just gonna need pump and valves. Got outlets with timers so setting it up automatically every 4 hours or so thru the day should be good enough hopefully.
My major concern because i work nights 6 to 6, is to figure out how to put everything on automatic besides feeding and cleaning. I figured since i wont disturb chameleon often during the day stress gonna be kept to minimum. And free range when ever i have a day off or before work for couple hours.

Now feeding part (still reading into it) i guess crickets are best and all, but i understand the bigger variety is better, so kinda trying to look into it. If i understand right crickets are best or atleast everyone uses em. What i wasnt sure what would be other options, cuz roaches are like no go for me or my gf gonna freak out bad ( ill still get some once in a while, but wont be able to keep decent amount), mantis are hard to keep since they eat each other. Any recommendations ?

I love superworms, because each worm lives for months. So I always have at least 500 stored away in a bin somewhere, so I always have a treat to feed. You can find these and pheonix worms at any pet store, and in larger numbers online.

Butterworms are good too because you can keep them in the fridge. The longer you keep them the less gutloaded they are, obviously, but they're high in calcium by themselves so I tend to have a container in the door of my fridge and use them as treats for a couple weeks.

And then hornworms and silkworms you order in a cup with pre-mixed food. Hornworms grow very quickly so it's better to get them very tiny because in 3-4 days in a warm home they will very quickly get to 4" long. You can breed these at home but it takes a bit of work and I've never had the patience for it.

silkworms and phoenix worms are other everyday feeders you could use if you can get some. wax worms, butters, and supers are good for treats.

If your going to use live plants.
If i could offer one opinion on the UVB fixture choice. I would personally look for a dual T8/12 or T5 fixture (like this one).This will allow you to put in a full spectrum/plant growth (5-6800K) bulb along with your uvb. The plants and the over all light coverage in the cage will improve over a single fixture.

Thnx for the advice with food guys, also sorry for asking so many questions :/

Golden devils ivy pothos and green and white marbled pothos are safe to use I assume ?

Back
Top Bottom