Could use some centerpiece tree/plant ideas

That’s good to hear then considering dart keepers are the bio masters!

For the substrate bin, just 2 things that come to mind(that I didn’t do the first time around). Polyurethane/waterproof the whole thing, even in spots that don’t get wet. I didn’t bother with the bottom of the stand, but the humidity from the drainage tray caused mold to grow underneath. The other thing, I’d do some sort of ventilation between the pond liner and wooden substrate bin. Maybe have a vent in the sides and at the top or something. So any moisture that gets trapped between the liner and the wood won’t cause problems down the road and is able to evaporate.
Thanks! I'll definitely use those tips!

snitz427 was just telling me about this. She’s had success getting her ficus alii to root from clipped branches in soil. So I cut a few off my 3 trees(2 of them are almost 7 feet tall) and gave them a good spot hoping they’ll root. I always did this with wandering Jew, but didn’t think the ficus would root so easily. LMK how yours do! Thank you
There an easier way to get new plants from trees. Take some damp paper towel like 4 or 5 pieces. Then warp that around the branch you want to cut off. Then wrap Saran Wrap around paper towel. Then leave for 1 to 2 weeks. Root will start to grow. Then cut off and plant. Some plants you can just use a rooting hormone. But for stuff like trees way I said is easier and will take every time.

There an easier way to get new plants from trees. Take some damp paper towel like 4 or 5 pieces. Then warp that around the branch you want to cut off. Then wrap Saran Wrap around paper towel. Then leave for 1 to 2 weeks. Root will start to grow. Then cut off and plant. Some plants you can just use a rooting hormone. But for stuff like trees way I said is easier and will take every time.

Air layering is the technique if interested. IME it can take a lot longer, but far less risk. Ficus can develop aerial roots at the base of each branch / bud so I’ve found them pretty easy to root from stem cuttings. The bigger the cutting the harder it is, tho.

Got a Ficus bonsai with massive aerial roots

7C55F0BC-9A1F-4BAB-BD95-4AF2701656C2.jpeg
DFBD1936-80C2-439F-A2B4-89608A7139CD.jpeg

Air layering is the technique if interested. IME it can take a lot longer, but far less risk. Ficus can develop aerial roots at the base of each branch / bud so I’ve found them pretty easy to root from stem cuttings. The bigger the cutting the harder it is, tho.

Thank you, did not know of this method, might be cool to try on larger branches of something??

Thank you, did not know of this method, might be cool to try on larger branches of something??

Amazon has these clear ball thingies you can use, but the method mentioned above with syranwrap works great, too. I tried with ficus alii and after 3 months of nothing, I just chopped them. I tried the method where you scrap the bark, first… i think for ficus I would have doje better to wrap it around a junction where a new branch was and where I know theh put out aerial roots

Air Layering is a great way to root small branches of most woody-type shrubs.

Back
Top Bottom