Could Use Some Advise On Shipping

Hey folks,

So I figure most of you know I am moving myself, my pup, and Thalin down to Colorado the end of December.

And I suppose I want to ask those of you who have shipped holdbacks, sub adults and adult chams because he is an adult veiled, how did you get all of them in the cloth bag for shipping with the least possible stress?

I wont lie I am very nervous about how to do it (bleeding heart here, I dont like stressing my boy out) and I know this will make him mad no matter what.

So just some advise would greatly help from all of this forums experience.

Thank you everyone!

Also I want to note I won't be the one to actually put him in the box as I will be in CO getting his new enclosure ready before he arrives due to FedEx not being open when I go down (the 31st).

So if you guys could also recommend how to do it in a way that my father can do it safely for both of them that would be great. Because my father hasn't even held Thalin before so Thalin may not crawl out to him either.

Thanks!

Also I want to note I won't be the one to actually put him in the box as I will be in CO getting his new enclosure ready before he arrives due to FedEx not being open when I go down (the 31st).

So if you guys could also recommend how to do it in a way that my father can do it safely for both of them that would be great. Because my father hasn't even held Thalin before so Thalin may not crawl out to him either.

Thanks!

Hi! I'm not sure about the actual "packing", but I would suggest having your dad interact with him a little before the big day. It may help Thalin to be more comfortable while being packed up and it will also help your dad to know how to handle him and be more comfortable handling him. Chams can be kind of intimidating especially if they're stressed out. I would suggest having a couple meetings before hand if possible.

Hi! I'm not sure about the actual "packing", but I would suggest having your dad interact with him a little before the big day. It may help Thalin to be more comfortable while being packed up and it will also help your dad to know how to handle him and be more comfortable handling him. Chams can be kind of intimidating especially if they're stressed out. I would suggest having a couple meetings before hand if possible.
Thank you for the advise. I will give it a shot but to be honest it will be hard on us all (between me being a control freak and having to step back, thalin being on the more stand offish side and my dad not exactly being a bleeding heart) haha.

I will see what I can do though. Maybe get my dad to hand mist him if he is at home while I am working during the day. Maybe hand feed him.

I hope your planning to ship him over night. If not the stress he will endure with your dad will pail in comparison. I don't think a cham can live through 2+ days of ruff shipping especially in the winter. I would put him in a small bag, or box. Make sure you pack him good so he will have the least possible amount of shifting, and your going to want to put a heat source in with him. Also is there going to be a customs issue going through Canada? Might want to check into that also. Good luck

I would actually recommend that you contact Ship Your Reptiles (http://www.shipyourreptiles.com/).
If they can't handle the shipping given your location, I am sure they can make some good recommendations.

A few thoughts - you're going to need to use an insulated box. Include a Uni-Heat heat pack inside the box, but separate it very well from your cham to prevent burns. You can do this with wadded newspaper or insulation foam. Pad every side and assume the poor guy will get turned upside down during transport. Overnight shipping is a MUST. You may consider having him held at the FexEx hub rather than delivered to your door if you can have someone pick him up. At a bare minimum require a confirmed delivery - don't let them drop the package off at a door step.

I don't know if there are any issues with shipping from Alaska - Ship Your Reptiles would know. Also know that some FedEx centers will refuse live animals shipments; you may have to go to more than one location.

Good luck, this must be absolutely nerve wracking. :(

Where will you be in Colorado? At any rate welcome. If you can get a professional shipper that would be wise. All of the chameleons we have had successfully shipped were sent in plastic deli cups with a piece of moist paper towel & shipped overnight. Good luck with your move.

Thank you for the replies everyone. I will be moving to Northern Colorado, Fort Collins area specifically. Do not worry I have already contacted ship your reptiles many times (which is how I know FedEx is closed the day I needed to ship him and that he will need to be shipped down on the 4th of January at the earliest). It will be an overnight shipment as well, and if it takes any longer I will have a field day with FedEx.

I originally got him from Dez here on the forums and she seemed to have no issues shipping him up here from Florida. I will contact her to see if she had to deal with customs in Canada but honestly I think the carriers fly right over it from Alaska to the states.

As for him being driven down. There is no way, my mother will fly down with me and then return home far too late to do it, while I have just no time to do it as I have a schedule to meet down there for college orientations. And I am sure my father doesn't want to drive thousands of miles on the dangerous Alcan in the middle of winter just to bring him to me which can take a week or two (may cause thalin more stress than you think too). So shipping is the only way to go.

I will be getting one of shipyourreptiles kits within the week and getting it fully set up minus thalin in the bag and the heat pack activated) with detailed instructions for my dad on how to pick thalin up and put him in the cloth bag, where to put the heat pack and where he will need to take him (our shipping center should accept live shipments but I will definitely check into that) and by what time the day I leave.

This is very nerve wracking for me. I have jumped through hoops to get this figured out as much as possible until I found out that I couldn't ship him the day I leave and my family would have to send him down, but what stresses me out most is that my dad will be the one putting him in the cloth bag (sister is scared of Thalin and mom is down in CO with me for a while). He wont be intimidated by thalin by any means I am just concerned as to how he plans to pick him up mostly as he can be a little impatient and forceful. I strictly told him, dont even break a toenail.

So how would you all explain to a man who has never tried to pick up a cham before how to do it gently to get him in the bag, tips, tricks, several options for him to use if one doesn't work?

Is there no way to bring him on the plane? Boxed up it would be same as shipping him, but if you can make arrangements ahead of time he might be able to stay as carryon with you the whole time and you wouldn't have to worry. With two of you, having two animals shouldn't be an issue.

Is there no way to bring him on the plane? Boxed up it would be same as shipping him, but if you can make arrangements ahead of time he might be able to stay as carryon with you the whole time and you wouldn't have to worry. With two of you, having two animals shouldn't be an issue.

I am flying delta which has strict policies that doesn't allow reptiles in the cabin however you can do them as checked baggage like I will have to do with my dog. I considered this, however I would have to find a wooden shipping box and find it hard to trust those who load the baggage.

I could certainly try to call the airline and see if I could convince them to let me take him as a carry on but I doubt they will let me.

Sounds like you have considered all your options. I think since you would have to drive through Canada, that would not be an option, where shipping or flying would be a straight shot. I doubt Delta would allow him in the cabin, but in the pressurized cargo compartment, he might be better off than with FedEx on a pure cargo plane. That way, he would only be out of your possession for 6 hours instead of 24+.... something to consider. Would Delta guarantee that he would go in the pressurized pet cargo area?

Can't help you with the bag thing. I've never put a cham in a bag. Head first is probably the least stressful way. Maybe do it while he is sleeping or settling down for the evening?

I would find a forum member that lives very close to where your moving & ship him to them before you leave on your flight & once your in Colorado go pick him up! Just my .02!

I would find a forum member that lives very close to where your moving & ship him to them before you leave on your flight & once your in Colorado go pick him up! Just my .02!
That is very smart. I know there is one keeper in fort Collins I could probably send him to. Just never spoken with them.

I spoke with Dez and she recommends turning the bag inside out and holding him on that hand on top of the bag then bring the edges up around him. No stuffing required.

Back
Top Bottom