Could olive be used instead of mineral oil?

Tweet

My question is if it's safe to internally use olive oil instead of mineral oil for treating impaction in my veiled. We've been to the vet and I'm giving her showers but I think she needs an extra push.

No it is very high in vitamins A & D and could be toxic if too much is given.
Can you call your vet and get mineral oil? Most pharmacies carry it over the counter. I understand why you don't want to make a trip.

I’ll try with the vet. The corona situation is getting really out of hand here so pharmacies are out of the question. Thank you for your advice

That is a great question. Extra Virgin Olive Oil is considered to be a cure all in countries along the Mediterranean coast. Those are countries that the olive tree's are native too. There have been plenty of studies that show medical plus for people consuming diets or supplemental Extra Virgin Olive Oil (Alzhiemer and Heart Disease). A questions about health for other species seems appropriate.

Health improvements have been proven in lab mice.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Last edited:
Thank you to everyone who replied. The vet recommended the lactulose syrup. Do you guys have any tips on feeding it to them?

I doubt the effect of showers and in oerson would nebˇver ever recommend it for the reason on stress and inadequate heat shock if used warm or luke-warm water, as is often recommended (I just remind you that we soeak about temperagures if 100F and above what feels not hir fir us) but is out if temoersture rollerance fir a chameleon...

i would go for mineral oil if ar all as one of the last options to get something neutral.
Ehy do you not try massage
Overhydrating
Intestine wash through a thin catheter

I doubt the effect of showers and in oerson would nebˇver ever recommend it for the reason on stress and inadequate heat shock if used warm or luke-warm water, as is often recommended (I just remind you that we soeak about temperagures if 100F and above what feels not hir fir us) but is out if temoersture rollerance fir a chameleon...

i would go for mineral oil if ar all as one of the last options to get something neutral.
Ehy do you not try massage
Overhydrating
Intestine wash through a thin catheter

Thats why I tagged you. I wasn't sure what good the "Shower" was supposed to do??

I do differ, in that I use a mister and allow the chameleon to be sprayed by that if they want. I know you don't condone that.

BUT I do not understand, see the purpose, and think that putting a chamelein in a shower, has no benefit in any situation that I can see. That is strictly MY opinion and thoughts, not saying the practice is wrong, as I don't know that for sure.

Thats why I tagged you. I wasn't sure what good the "Shower" was supposed to do??

I do differ, in that I use a mister and allow the chameleon to be sprayed by that if they want. I know you don't condone that.

BUT I do not understand, see the purpose, and think that putting a chamelein in a shower, has no benefit in any situation that I can see. That is strictly MY opinion and thoughts, not saying the practice is wrong, as I don't know that for sure.

My Parsons has been living all of winter using the shower method as the only source of hydration. Why would this be any different than misters? I know what I'm doing is a little unconventional, but he eats great,and seems to be as healthy and content as a chameleon can be. So time will tell I guess. He's outside for summer though. He absolutely enjoys the shower IMO. Set it to the mist setting and leave him there for 2 hrs sometimes.

Oh and, I agree that if you mean the shower vs just using misters, I'm with ya. If i had him in an enclosure with mistkings(like he used to be) I'd never put him in the shower, i would just run the misters extra long once a week.

Oh and, I agree that if you mean the shower vs just using misters, I'm with ya. If i had him in an enclosure with mistkings(like he used to be) I'd never put him in the shower, i would just run the misters extra long once a week.

Thats a little bit different case.

Your putting him in a coldish shower in place of a mister. As you free-range and can't have a mister on the Free range.

I'm talking about people who already have misters, and put a fake tree in the shower and run it with the cham on it for 30 mins for some perceived health treatment, or weekly.

That doesn't make any sense to me. Maybe it does something, IDK I have just never understood it.

Thats a little bit different case.

Your putting him in a coldish shower in place of a mister. As you free-range and can't have a mister on the Free range.

I'm talking about people who already have misters, and put a fake tree in the shower and run it with the cham on it for 30 mins for some perceived health treatment, or weekly.

That doesn't make any sense to me. Maybe it does something, IDK I have just never understood it.

Oh yes, I agree with that. Maybe the enclosed space of a shower and high humidity helps a bit more than an enclosure for quick hydration. No idea, just thinking of ways it could be beneficial. I only did it in place of misters with my chams.

i see a potential but questionable benefit, which is maybe the target and logic of the showers in the following...

the only quaick way how I know how to let a xameleon to defecate wuickly is hyperthermia: increase the body temperature above the optimum, but not too much and manipullation... thisnis how I get iften fecal samples in the wild, conditioned, the chameleon has something to “share”.... the logic is, temperatire ifer kikit means the body needs to cool down and it tries to get rid of thise non-integral integral parts of the ody-mass that do not necessarily need to be there and make the process less efficient (i do not need to cool down the poop if I can dispose it, because if I leave it inside, I need to use energy to cool it down)

The ligic of water is, that it leads heat better than air

but it brings the stress from water exposure, that works in contrary reverse way: I need ti close my openings not tk drown. So, efficiently it does nit work
Plus, the heating wirks more abruptly and can cause a heat shock of the organism

and this is why I take the liberty and say that IMHO it IS a WRONG practice

Back
Top Bottom