Costa Rica!

Wife and I are heading there in February. Anyone been before? I know there aren't any chameleons there but I'm looking forward to photographing iguanas, caimans and crocs. And likely a lot of gorgeous birds. Already bought a 75-300mm macro zoom for this trip.

Any tips or hints for traveling there? Hot spots? We'll be in the guanacaste province for most of the time. Flying onto Liberia.

Good to know! It was part of the plan, but I'll inforce it. thanks!

Ya hydration is important. I got really sick in New Mexico because I didn't drink enough. Even though I drank almost 2 gallons of water.

Ya hydration is important. I got really sick in New Mexico because I didn't drink enough. Even though I drank almost 2 gallons of water.

Um… That is not what he is talking about. Staying hydrated is very important at all times but the water in places such as that is notorious for harboring all kinds of nasty things that will give you the $hits from hell! I went to Costa Rica in high school… VERY cool place; we went for a basketball tournament so did not get to do much however I did enjoy the local scene… Small town fishing and people that know where to take you without charging you a ton. Should you do that always pack a knife on you, and this I am really serous about if you do that. A buddy on mine got his butt kicked a while back simply because he was a white American. A knife will usually scare off any would be muggers. I’m not saying that you should shank anybody mind you, but better to have then not to have. You will have a great time!

Lucky you royden!

My daughter went there....saw lots of hummingbirds (there are over 50 species there), fer-de-lance snakes in the swimming pool...scorpions...jaguar passed in front of them...agoutis.

There are basilisks, poison arrrow frogs, lots of butterflies too.

I think its the season for the turtles to come into the shore at Tortuguero.

Wife and I are heading there in February. Anyone been before? I know there aren't any chameleons there but I'm looking forward to photographing iguanas, caimans and crocs. And likely a lot of gorgeous birds. Already bought a 75-300mm macro zoom for this trip.

Any tips or hints for traveling there? Hot spots? We'll be in the guanacaste province for most of the time. Flying onto Liberia.

Its an amazing trip, I will post some wild life pictures! (bewarned, i didnt have a great camera then)

Congrats,
Jake

I suppose it depends on where you are going. I went to Arenal in Feb of 02. We did mostly hiking through the rainforests and stayed at the base of Arenal volcano that erupts about 3-4 times a day. It's in the center of the country just on the other side of the mountain range from Monte Verde.

Didn't see a jaguar, but saw coati's, sloths, tons of hummingbirds and butterflies, and a baby eyelash pit viper. It's a place I'd go back again in a heartbeat.

Here's Arenal from our balcony.

View attachment 2829

AFH

Last edited:
I suppose it depends on where you are going. I went to Arenal in Feb of 02. We did mostly hiking through the rainforests and stayed at the base of Arenal volcano that erupts about 3-4 times a day. It's in the center of the country just on the other side of the mountain range from Monte Verde.

Didn't see a jaguar, but saw coati's, sloths, tons of hummingbirds and butterflies, and a baby eyelash pit viper. It's a place I'd go back again in a heartbeat.

Here's Arenal from our balcony.

View attachment 2829

AFH

What hotel did you stay at? I was at the base of Arenal also.

Jake

I want both your phone numbers! Seriously!

We're staying at the Volcano Inn for three nights in La fortuna, and then three nights in Monteverde, we're looking for a nice place in monteverde still.

We're doing most of our touring through an adventure company called desafio.

I'm PMing you both!

Thanks everyone!

Here are some pictures:

This is a beach located on the sand bar that we stayed on for a day or 2.
CostaRica078.jpg

Here is a Boa I found on the hotel grounds of the same place.

CostaRica085.jpg

CostaRica087.jpg

Here is a picture taken from the hotel grounds at the base of the Arenal valcano.

CostaRica116.jpg

Here is a Howler monkey at the valcano base. I put my lense into a telescope to get closer, LOL.

CostaRica134.jpg

This is a Viper we saw.

CostaRica138.jpg

Me and my dad on the valcano hiking.
CostaRica158.jpg

A different valcano.
CostaRica227.jpg

More below...

I dont like hieghts, so this Zip-Line tour was freaky. The longest cable stretched for 2 miles!:eek:

CostaRica301.jpg

Sprelunking

CostaRica419.jpg

Rafting
CostaRicaRiverRafting013.jpg

and the iguanas where everywhere!

CostaRica384.jpg

Thanks,
Jake

I have been to Costa Rica, many many times for surf trips. PM me if you have any questions. It is dry season during this time, but dont let that fool you, when it rains it can really come down. If you are driving dont go cheap on the vehicle, 4x4 is a must especially if you want to see the sites that most travelers never get to see.

What hotel did you stay at? I was at the base of Arenal also.

Jake

We stayed at the Arenal Lodge. It's on the other side of the volcano from where it looks like you were. Out past the observatory. It was down a 15 km dirt road (I wish someone would have recommended a 4x4 before I went!).

Anyway, it was really remote, pretty rustic, but isolated and absolutely beautiful. There was a serpetorium and a butterfly preserve right down the road.

AFH

I studied abroad there last summer. It is an amazing place. Part of the time I was at a biological research station Near Dominical(Pacific Coast). I lived in an open cabin with about ten bats, a few spiders and scorpions and some ginormous roaches, in the middle of the jungle. Yeah, no chams there, but there is plenty to keep you busy. I also keep poison dart frogs, and they have plenty of them there. I guess I'll add a few pics into the fun. That's me with a local kid painting some of the frogs of the area.

Attachments

• webcabin.jpg
    webcabin.jpg
    195.7 KB · Views: 186
  • webouthouse.jpg
    webouthouse.jpg
    219.1 KB · Views: 138
  • webknowles.jpg
    webknowles.jpg
    246.3 KB · Views: 143
  • CRweb1.jpg
    CRweb1.jpg
    189.9 KB · Views: 121
  • CRweb2.jpg
    CRweb2.jpg
    214.1 KB · Views: 192
Oh yeah, forgot to mention, I drank the water the whole time I was there and I was fine. Botttled water can get pricey there.

How Fun :)

How fun.............I am jealous too! There are a lot of green Basilisks there. I once had a female that came from Costa Rica. At some resorts the sleeping Basilisks often fall out of the trees as tourists walk around at night. They go into swimming pools sometimes too, I guess. Take a picture of a Basilisk if you see one :)

Back
Top Bottom