cost effiency vs cham happines? food q/a

wontbme

so heres a list of my chams food that she eats willingly.

crickets she will knock out 10000 in seconds lmao, she loves it. i dontknow what it is but she will never turn one down.

romaine lettuce, she will eat an entire leaf over the course of a day (the edible parts, or easy to bite)

she HATES celery, so do i but... well lol. i tried

anything other than broccoli that i shouldnt be giving?

mealworms she'll eat right off my hands in seconds, she doesn't like 'em as much as crickets, maybe its the limited movement?

i know they eat other bugs but i dont know what is cheap... dubias or w/e are EXPENSIVE... maybe i just dont understand them enough. i know crickets arent too healthy, as far as nutrition goes, but i guess its better than worms

waxworms i really dont want her to get addicted to... it'd be a shame, so i havent tried.

im sure she wants more veggies because i see her eating them ALL the time. except recently i ran out of lettuce, so i need to find good alternatives, but i dont want to feed anything unhealthy

and what are some cheap bugs?

Crickets are actually really healthy and high in protein also. They are a great staple and get more nutritious if gutloaded properly.

As for fruits and veggies, there are tons- pretty much anything u gut load with is fine.
See some other posts, but I use strawberries, watermelon, and cantelope.

Live: Crickets, Superworms, Lizards, worms.

superworms , dubias, and crickets are the wat to go

hen you have money try silkworms, butterworms, and hornworms

and buying yourself a colony of dubias will have you set for life, the dubias are easy to care for and they breed like crazy and giving you a cosntant supply, if you get a good size colony though

crickets can be actually pretty healthy if you feed romaine lettuce, alfalfa, mustard greens, squash, danelion leaves, carrots, strawberries, oranges, banana, ...just fruits and veggies

do not use broccoli, tomatoe and spinache, they have high oxalates that prevent your cham form absorbing calcium in the bones, thus slowly getting mbd , i believe..but htat if she consumes allot or the crickets consume allot

hope this helps

read sandra's blogs gutloading:) scroll down and click to read them individually https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/best-entries/

Over feeding your chameleon constantly can lead to reproductive issues, constipation and prolapses. If your chameleon is not full grown you will need to feed her more than and adult...but you still don't want to overfeed her.

BTW...veiled females can produce eggs without having been mated...and overfeeding can lead to huge clutches and shortened lives too.

Crickets are a good staple for chameleons because they are easy to get and easy to gutload.

Romaine lettuce is good to provide some extra moisture, but there are better choices...dandelion greens, kale, collards, endive, escarole, mustard greens, carrots, sweet potato, sweet red pepper, zucchini, squash, apple, berries, cantaloupe, pear, etc.

Can dubias climb on the side of the cages or do you have to cup feed them?

Dubias can climb screen enclosures but being roaches they are nocturnal, if you put them loose in the cage I find they hide within seconds and rarely get eaten. If you can train your cham to hand feed or cup feed then they are a great way to go.

Dubias can climb screen enclosures but being roaches they are nocturnal, if you put them loose in the cage I find they hide within seconds and rarely get eaten. If you can train your cham to hand feed or cup feed then they are a great way to go.

Thanks. I don't have a cham yet I am just trying to research as much as possible before I get one again. I will definitely try to cup feed him

yes superworms are very hearty, cheap to buy and can be gutloaded like crickets. They live in like ceral oats for bedding and can survive on that alone but it is good to gutload them also. I buy my stuff at the reptile store to bed them in. They are much more high in fat than a cricket though, so crickets are preferred to feed over them. Lots of us members buy from Mulberry Farms. I live in Florida so I deal with a company called Coastal Silkworms who has a location in Florida and also in California. They do not sell superworms though. They sell silkworms, hornworms, and phoenix worms and are a great company to deal with also.

If I were to get a bunch of superworms do they live for awhile? What substrate do you keep them in?

Also has anyone dealt with this site? they have alot of food for chams

http://www.mulberryfarms.com/Superworms-c14/

sorry not trying to hijack your thread

mulberry farms is great! Very reliable, good prices, great packaging and fast shipping. I've ordered reptiworms, butter worms, hornworms, silkworm eggs, silkworm chow. Never had a problem.

yeah i only did three small slices.
she hasnt eaten any of them as a whole. or w/e. she's eaten about half of one of the slices so far, she is in love with romaine.

what are some cheap bulky insects? i dont wanna pay too much...

can someone send me their website? so i can buy insects off of there... idk what to buy other than crix. i would personally find it boring to eat so many crickets... i just dont know what else to do. i do mealworms but they arent good to feed in large quantities because of their hard shells. am i right?

http://www.mulberryfarms.com/Hornworms/Hornworm-Cup-p23.html
how is this? she's about 5mo
are they cheap? any suggestions?

Back
Top Bottom