Converting homemade cage for chams? Help?

TanyaM

I recently obtained a home made cage that I want to convert into use for chams. Thug previous owner used it for birds I believe but it's very clean if that was the case. It does have some disadvantages however. It's converted originally from a cabinet of some sort. With the bottom third an enclosed cupboard with solid doors and the top two thirds open. The front and back are screened in with 1/2"x1/2" welded wire. The bottom, sides, and top are solid wood. The dimensions are 36"x24"x42" for the top section.

1. Moisture. If I run a mister or dripper that wood is going to get ruined. What are some suggestions? I was thinking maybe lining the whole inside with vinyl tiles? Not sure how safe is considered but it would be waterproof and easy to clean...

2. Insects. That 1/2"x1/2" isn't going to keep the crickets in. Is the something recommended that is safe for chams but small enough to keep in crickets?

3. Lighting. I have some nice fixtures but with a wooden top I'm imagining I'll have to secure them on the inside and use something to separate them from the rest of the enclosure. Perhaps some more welded wire or screen? Like a false top instead of a false bottom. Any experience on how far from the heat source this needs to be to prevent the wire from heating up?

4. Space. I'm thinking of dividing the space in half to keep two chams. Would this be enough room for veileds? That would be 18"x24"x42" each. I'm not sure what to use as the divider either, something solid I think with a base to keep it sturdy.

I'm thinking of lowering the bottom too, I would create a false bottom of welded wire with garden fabric on the other side to keep insects out but allow water to pass into a drip pan while camouflaging what's under there. Possibly thinking of putting potted plants (vines) down there too and allowing them to grow up through the garden fabric into the cage.

Any help, expertise, ect is appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom