Contest Question

Jonas

I had some questions about the rules PM:ed but never got an answer, could I ask them here?

I was wondering about the:
"Photos that have previously been a part of other contests or competitions of any kind are not permitted. If you previously entered a contest on this website and did not place, you may re-enter your photo."

So, if I entered a contest at my local forum i sweden, or chameleonnews, That picture is for ever out?

And also:
"No image modifications besides cropping and resizing are allowed."

I assume that regular post processing is allowed, adjusting colors, color temperature etc etc?

I was wondering about the:
"Photos that have previously been a part of other contests or competitions of any kind are not permitted. If you previously entered a contest on this website and did not place, you may re-enter your photo."

So, if I entered a contest at my local forum i sweden, or chameleonnews, That picture is for ever out?
Photos that have previously been a part of other contests or competitions of any kind are not permitted.

"No image modifications besides cropping and resizing are allowed."

I assume that regular post processing is allowed, adjusting colors, color temperature etc etc?
That would be a wrong assumption. No image modifications besides cropping and resizing are allowed.

You are welcome to make suggestions on how we can improve the contest, but those are the current rules.

I would definitely like to suggest improvements in the rules.

There need to be more concrete rules, take the "previously been a part of other contests or competitions of any kind" part. As it is now I would not be allowed to use pictures me and my friend privately compared and declared a winner out of; or would not be allowed to use a picture that won the cover of National Geographic magazine either. I find a difference between the two examples, I hope you do too.

There must be a way to specify to what extent the pictures have been used, like "It should never have been published". Also, "being part of a competition" is quite harsh in itself. Winning or getting recognition in a competition would be more reasonable.

Next thing is post processing. The rules now say NO other changes other than cropping and resizing is allowed. This is quite odd for anyone interested in photography. Even analogue photos are/where processed to improve the picture.
There are some pretty well accepted rules in photography when it comes to post processing images. It is internationally accepted to ADJUST things like color, contrast and such. This is not considered to be picture ALTERING. To remove, add or change shape of objects in a picture would be considered altering it.
The rule of thumb is this: When adjusting the image one try to reproduce the actual scene seen when the picture was taken. If you adjust contrast and color until it looks different, then its bordering on alteration.
Alteration should not be allowed, unless you find it acceptable. Things like removing dust spots could be considered acceptable.
You can contact any photographic society or similar to confirm these things.

You need to understand that there are some post processing of color, contrast and sharpening in the camera itself. In some cameras, like mine, one can choose to what extent this should be done. Personally I have all adjustments turned off as post processing on the computer is better and part of every persons photo-process if they are even slightly interested in photography.

I hope you realize that the difference in different cameras own post processing can be greater than the effect someone like me would produce in photoshop.

Think about it.
/ Jonas

Published photos are not accepted in the photo contest. One of the reasons for the competition rule is to help prevent any related legal issues. Many competitions claim exclusive publishing rights to photos you enter. It is easier for me to just make a blanket rule like this and avoid related conflicts. Another reason is I appreciate new images and the effort involved. Post processing is currently allowed under a trial basis; this has been in affect since the December contest. I do understand that some cameras have automated post processing.

The rule of thumb is this: When adjusting the image one try to reproduce the actual scene seen when the picture was taken. If you adjust contrast and color until it looks different, then its bordering on alteration.
In theory it is a great idea, but I'm not sure if it is truly practical without a lot of added work. The process is too subjective and humans in general do not always make the most ethical decisions. It is my opinion that post processing by a talented person will often create an image that improves upon reality. I frequently see this first hand outside of chameleon forums. For me to be truly comfortable with post processing, raw images would need to be paired with all entries. Additional time and knowledge would also be required to properly review suspect images. I've heard of some digiphoto contests that require a strict log of their post processing. I think post processing can be great for removing various artifact types and in general cleaning the image from digital impurities. However, when people start adding color, shadows, light manipulation, backgrounds, etc, my enthusiasm drops quickly.

But you can see the trouble Im having withe first part when I am not allowed to use a photo in one of your competitions because the photo was used in an online photocontest on a Swedish forum, with no real prices or publications, just as a game, can't you?

Maybe one should just keep those sorts of activities to oneself and not ask questions?

About the post processing. You CAN make it sound like something extreme, but it doesnt have to be. Like I said, it can come out less processed from my work in photoshop than it would straight from the camera with certain settings.
Its a bit like having a painting contest, but you cant use the type of brushes that you are used to, or the pigments that would make the most realistic colors.

In the end, it will affect the ones holding the competition as well, Im sure it is in your best interest to get as good photos as possible. If you were to find a photo suspicious, you could ask for an original. Not everyone use raw though, and considering the built in post processing in the camera, the raw could give a false indication of how a jpeg directly from the camera would look like.

With the definition I mention in the last post, sure it can be abused and it can be hard to controll. But hey, its a photo contest with the purpose of showing nice photos, its not a contest in not-using-post-processing. Its a part of photography, has been even when we used film, and it will always be.

If it is now accepted, then Im arguing for nothing. Just wanted to point out that post processing is a part of making a photo.

I just wondered if there is a rule i may have overlooked about entries from other countries as my entries never make it to voting. Did i miss a clause ? or was there another reason for it`s removal ?:confused:

Back
Top Bottom