Contest Anonymity

Pure

One thing I've noticed about this contest is the members who enter are quick to let everyone know what pic is theirs. On other POTM contests I've been involved in this was strictly forbidden and should be so here too. Mentioning X photo is mine, will inevitably lead to some members voting for the pic because of the owner not the quality of the picture.

If you want to keep this contest fair, I respectfully suggest a rule change to disallow members commenting on their photo prior to the contest being finished.

I've not entered once so I'm being completely biased here.

If that were to happen then the name of the chameleon should also not be entered as part of the entry form, as some members will know which photo belongs to which owner by the chameleon's name.

If that were to happen then the name of the chameleon should also not be entered as part of the entry form, as some members will know which photo belongs to which owner by the chameleon's name.

Indeed, For it to be completely fair all that should be provided is just the picture. Nothing more. Sure people may recognize certain Chams. It can't be helped, but at least by forbidding them from commenting on their picture you are doing what can be done. And the few that do notice won't make much of a difference in the big picture. It's not as public as broadcasting what Cham is yours.

Mentioning X photo is mine, will inevitably lead to some members voting for the pic because of the owner not the quality of the picture.
It could also hurt their chances of winning as well though. Some people may find that obnoxious/self promoting, and not vote for the photo because of that reason. ;)

I doubt it would hurt it more than help. I agree with Pure. I think the people winning are ones who have been around and have a good fan base here. I am NOT saying this because I haven't won. I believe the board has become biased in the contest. I mean, there are quite a few members with SEVERAL ribbons next to their name for winning. I think you should only be allowed to win once in a year to allow others a chance. I know there are some amazing photographers out there and they get the shot that amazes people and steals the show..and this is great for them and they deserve it, but it doesnt give the amateurs a fighting chance. Yes, I know, I was told that people have won with not so great pics, but its far and few in between. I also think that people use their situation to gain sympathy and win votes. Just my OPINION which I believe I am allowed. Thanks.

i agree with hiding names, and posters.

I dont like the idea of one win a year though, sorry betty :)

but hey i've never even entered

I agree with this, I have definitely received a few pms on how I should vote for so and so chameleon and the sob story that goes with it.

One more fan of the idea here...

I have seen people trying to shmooz votes for their pic in the Monthly Contest thread, I think it's lame... Let the pic do the talking. Especially since it is a PHOTO contest with a cash prize involved... I think this would be a great way to make sure it is the quality of the pic being judged, and not the quality of the member posting the pic.:)

~Joe

Reyes: Okay, If the photo is completely anonymous then Id go with allowing them to win once a quarter.. But some people have such AMAZING pics that its hard not to vote for the ones that get you to wsay "Wow" and a lot of the time, its from the same person who happens to be a professional photographer (or just knows how to use their camera correctly unlike myself. LOL!)

Can a moderator or someone affiliated with the contest chime in. We seem to have a positive outlook on this suggestion!!!

Reyes: Okay, If the photo is completely anonymous then Id go with allowing them to win once a quarter.. But some people have such AMAZING pics that its hard not to vote for the ones that get you to wsay "Wow" and a lot of the time, its from the same person who happens to be a professional photographer (or just knows how to use their camera correctly unlike myself. LOL!)

Can a moderator or someone affiliated with the contest chime in. We seem to have a positive outlook on this suggestion!!!

Betty... I think the rule that a winner cannot enter in the next months contest prevents people from constantly winning. A couple members come to mind when we talk about great or "pro" photographers... These people have won the contests... but I have also seen these people go many months without entering a photo, I assume this is because they want to give everyone a chance.

I can't really think of a single "pro" who enters and wins on a basis that is really noticeable like you say. It is just up to everyone who wants to win to step up to the competition. We shouldn't limit the people who have worked hard to be able to take quality shots... I enjoy seeing quality pics up on the main page.

It is a photo contest after all... And what better contestant for a photo contest than a photographer? I have seen lots of people on the site buy, new cameras, and start learning photography in order to have competitive shots in the contest... as it should be, I mean they are competing for a $50 gift certifcate.

~Joe

Betty... I think the rule that a winner cannot enter in the next months contest prevents people from constantly winning. A couple members come to mind when we talk about great or "pro" photographers... These people have won the contests... but I have also seen these people go many months without entering a photo, I assume this is because they want to give everyone a chance.

I can't really think of a single "pro" who enters and wins on a basis that is really noticeable like you say. It is just up to everyone who wants to win to step up to the competition. We shouldn't limit the people who have worked hard to be able to take quality shots... I enjoy seeing quality pics up on the main page.

It is a photo contest after all... And what better contestant for a photo contest than a photographer? I have seen lots of people on the site buy, new cameras, and start learning photography in order to have competitive shots in the contest... as it should be, I mean they are competing for a $50 gift certifcate.

~Joe

Joe I agree with you, I do not think that the winners should only be allowed to enter once a year. If they have a good photo why shouldn't they win? I know everyone should have a shot, but if your photo isn't as nice it shouldn't win.

I think people may have gotten more involved in photography because of the contest but not solely. Im sorry, but Im not going to spend $500+ on a camera to win a $50 certificate!? Makes no sense to me.. and some people cannot afford a new camera and are not given fair shot because of photographers who do have the equipment. Its 50/50.. good camera + eye = good shot.. and some people only have half that, so I just wanna speak for the little guy(gal) and says that it needs to be fair. I have a really nice camera but havent learned quite how to use it yet. I do have the ability to take great pics, but am shut out by those who are better or have a reputation amongst peers. The contest should be for EVERYONE not just "photographers". It should be an open playing field.
I also find that the colorful chams tend to win as well. I entered a pygmy shot and was shut down because of the all the colorful chams that get the oohs and ahs even though i got a rare shot that people claimed to love and got loads of compliments on. Not saying this isnt fair, Im just saying that those who are voting should look at it from all aspects as well. Not all of us OWN colorful large chams, therefore are not given a fair shot at winning either.

I think people may have gotten more involved in photography because of the contest but not solely. Im sorry, but Im not going to spend $500+ on a camera to win a $50 certificate!? Makes no sense to me.. and some people cannot afford a new camera and are not given fair shot because of photographers who do have the equipment. Its 50/50.. good camera + eye = good shot.. and some people only have half that, so I just wanna speak for the little guy(gal) and says that it needs to be fair. I have a really nice camera but haven't learned quite how to use it yet. I do have the ability to take great pics, but am shut out by those who are better or have a reputation amongst peers. The contest should be for EVERYONE not just "photographers". It should be an open playing field.

I won in February with this shot I took using my cheap Kodak easy Share point and shoot. You don't need an expensive camera... I know I am not the only person who has won using a POS(P&S);) camera either. As far as being "shut out because of the rep of some peers"... I agree that the votes should not be about who took the pic, but about the quality of the pic itself... Which is why I back the anonymity thing.

The contest should be for EVERYONE not just "photographers". It should be an open playing field.

I want to point something out to this... Here is a history of the first place winners for 2008 and 2009...

Jan '08... FL Chams
Feb '08... Arjan
Mar '08... fastdsm29
Apr '08... VerteX
May '08... Gesang
June '08... Royden
July '08... Todnedo
Aug '08... Vegas Chad
Sep '08... Royden
Oct '08... Vibrant Chameleons
Nov '08... Nicodemayo
Dec '08... Royden

Jan '09... TRA
Feb '09... SoCaliSon
Mar '09... daen
Apr '09... Jannb
May '09... Fidel

Looks like just about anyone could win to me...:confused:. Look through the Archive and you will see that these are all great photos worthy of winning. And the ones who win a few times do so because they work hard to take excellent shots... That people vote for because they are Great Shots worthy of the win... Are we supposed to vote for a mediocre shot because we feel bad that the person who took the mediocre shot and think they deserve a "chance" to win also??? Wouldn't that completely contradict the whole principle behind wanting to make the names anonymous anyway???? As well as the concept of a "Photo Contest":confused: The thing is everyone who thinks of entering has a "chance" to win... Do you suggest we take turns being the winner?

Last edited:
I agree that making the contest anonymous will also eliminate any (if there was any) need for limiting the winner to once a yr. Limiting it to once every other month is plenty. Being that it is anonymous, if that person deserves to win again then so be it. That is what makes it a contest after all. The best should win.

How about having two divisions or more?

Professionals - if you enter here you can't enter in the amateur division
Amateur - if you win three or more times you get bumped to the pros
SLR
P&S

Then for "prizes" either split them up / reduce the prize or just give out the medals and do the photo contest for the prestige.

:cool:

Look at it and ask yourself if there is really anything wrong with the current "Photo Contest" or if some people just need to suck it up and shoot for a better pic next time. I think splitting the contest up would be a huge mess. Just determining what category a member should go under would be way too complicated.

Back
Top Bottom