Containing heat in a free range setup?

BrobReborn

Hello everyone, I am currently in the market for a chameleon, and I have a few questions on freeranging and enclosures in general. I live in a pretty spacious loft style apartment, and I would like to freerange my cham. I have a corner in my living room area that is about 6ft by 6ft with a window on both walls.

How can I keep the temperature in the correct range without anything to really keep heat in? I keep my apartment between 69-72 degrees while home, and usually 72-75 while at work or away. In the winter it would be more like 67-69 while home, and as low as 64 while out. Will this be a problem for a chameleon? I really don't want to sacrifice my comfort while at home and turn the AC down. I should mention there is a heat/AC vent right by the corner, but there vents everywhere in this place and that's pretty much unavoidable.

I should also mention I will be getting a Veiled since this will be my first time. Meller's are the most appealing to me (especially since they like it a little cooler), but I know I am not experienced enough to handle one of them off the start.

Thanks for any tips in advance!

I'd be more worried about keeping humidity in. A basking bulb/any lights will keep the heat focused in an area. The cooler temps will actually be nice so you have some gradients. Having a vent next to a free range is a RI waiting to happen though. The problem with most free ranges is the humidity can't get high enough, especially in a large open room. You can attempt to utilize a fogger and have very heavy mistings along with tons of plants to create humidity pockets. I'd have any vents blowing directly in the cham's area blocked off though.

I'd be more worried about keeping humidity in. A basking bulb/any lights will keep the heat focused in an area. The cooler temps will actually be nice so you have some gradients. Having a vent next to a free range is a RI waiting to happen though. The problem with most free ranges is the humidity can't get high enough, especially in a large open room. You can attempt to utilize a fogger and have very heavy mistings along with tons of plants to create humidity pockets. I'd have any vents blowing directly in the cham's area blocked off though.
I will definitely be getting a good misting system like the mistking or one of it's various competitors. I figured I'd probably use 4-6 nozzles to spread the mist across the entire area. Do you figure a decent amount of live plants in addition to frequent misting sessions would be good enough? I will probably utilitize some curtains on a few sides as well to help keep it in.

What do you mean by RI? I can infer it is something bad lol, so I will definitely block that off.

Buy an electric heater (one that it cant burn itself on) and heat the whole room and then a humidifier if you're concerned about that????? What about providing UVB? Water? I assume you will hand feed it?

Buy an electric heater (one that it cant burn itself on) and heat the whole room and then a humidifier if you're concerned about that????? What about providing UVB? Water? I assume you will hand feed it?
I probably will not hand feed it. I planned on having a container to put the bugs in that is tall enough for them not to be able to crawl or jump out. UVB and water I am not really concerned about, I think I have that down.

Just bringing up things that need tomnbe thought about when doing a free range.
Yeah I appreciate that. After doing a lot more research, I think I might just go with a large screen cage instead. I'll leave free ranging for when I am a little more experienced.

Just in the room. It would raise the humidity of the whole room.

Thanks, curious because I get my Baby Next week, preparing. Chameleon Paradise baby male from sire Candy Cane. Here my new setup.
20170816_162119-1.jpg
20170816_162155.jpg
20170816_162142.jpg

Back
Top Bottom