Constant "snalt"

Ares05

Chameleon Enthusiast
Amaro seems to constantly have salt/mineral deposits around his nose. Its not mucus or anything, just powdery. Ive been told its not really a problem, which is probably true. But its CONSTANT. Sometimes I wipe it off, sometimes I leave it. I was thinking, I don't use bottled water, I just have a good filter for my tap water. It removes flouride, lead, chlorine, ect. But it doesn't remove calcium. Could this be it? To compensate for this, should I dust with calcium a bit less? Or just suck it up and buy distilled water? :unsure:

I don't believe I am over-dusting his feeders, I just dust so that they are slightly lighter in color. My schedule is w/o d3 every day, d3 once every two weeks, vitamins every two weeks (alternating. one week d3, one week multivitamin, ect ).

Likely caused by your tap water, even with a good filter. Switching to distilled/RO ought to lessen it! Not dangerous, in any case. It's just Amaro removing excess minerals.

Some reading: https://www.chameleonforums.com/thr...-cause-of-the-white-crusts-on-the-nose.75998/

Excerpt from the conclusion:
the recommendation to decrease calcium supplementation to eliminate the white crusts is dangerous and even more importantly completely unfounded. There have been hundred and hundreds of scientific studies specifically focused on the nasal salt gland secretions of many, many species of birds and reptiles over the last 40+ years and not one of them has ever shown the primary components of the secretions to be anything other than sodium and potassium with small amounts of chloride and bicarbonate and absolutely negligible amounts of calcium, if it’s even present at all, despite genetic, environmental, wild or captive, herbivorous or carnivorous lifestyles. I believe I have conclusively provided enough solid, scientific evidence to say that no one should be recommending a decrease in calcium supplementation as a way to address the white crusts around the nostrils. If it bothers you I would suggestion evaluating your city’s water source for salt content first and change over to a water source with less salt if you’d like to see them go away. It worked for me when my panther had crustiness…

Is "snalt" the technical term?
If you switch to R/O or distilled it will resolve. It is not associated with supplements as much as minerals in the water. I don't know of any health related problems associated with minerals in the water (no studies) but I know my cages and misting system look a lot better than those that don't use distilled.

If you switch to R/O or distilled it will resolve. It is not associated with supplements as much as minerals in the water. I don't know of any health related problems associated with minerals in the water (no studies) but I know my cages and misting system look a lot better than those that don't use distilled.

I don't think "snalt" is technical... but it is a common colloquialism! Even my vets use it, Haha! ...I think I got them started with the term, actually... :unsure:

Thanks. Now “snalt” is going to be stuck in my head the rest of the day!
No problem, lol :ROFLMAO: . I think I heard @kinyonga say it once so I got it from there.

Yeah, ill see about switching to distilled or RO water.

Do you mean they look better because of no mineral residue on the leaves? When I had live plants that crap was EVERYWHERE.

Oh.. so thats why it wouldn't come off the leaves. Good to know!

I bet Walmart or WinnDixie sells Distilled water... so hopefully I don't have to order it or something. ( we used to order huge boxes of food over amazon, lol. )

I bet Walmart or WinnDixie sells Distilled water... so hopefully I don't have to order it or something. ( we used to order huge boxes of food over amazon, lol. )
You can get them at a local HEB or Kroger they sell I think 1-2 gallons at once for almost $2

Walmart has it, 1its like 89 cents a gallon

Back
Top Bottom