Considering getting out of the reptile hobby.

ChameleonRave

Avid Member
It's not that I don't like it and all, but the vet bills are ungodly expensive and with a car payment, insurance, gas bills, and then on top of that paying for the super expensive food for the Chameleons, Geckos, Bearded Dragon and now Corn Snake. I'm thinking about just not keeping any of them except the corn snake, bearded dragon and one Chameleon. We are moving in a month or so into a bigger house out of our nasty trailer home, which I despise, but it's a roof over my head, so I am thankful for that. I'll have a massive room so I can fit all of my 5 Chameleons, 6 Crested Geckos, 2 Leopard Geckos, 1 Bearded Dragon, 1 Corn Snake, 2 Emperor Scorpions, 3 Turtles, and 1 Chinchilla and 4 incubating Crested Gecko eggs in it with out taking up too much space and all, but with the move I kind of want a little bit less stress in my life. I stress about their well being when I'm away, if the reptile sitter is feeding them properly, turning on their lights and misting them, giving them baths or showers if needed, all that stuff. I don't want to get out of it completely, but with college around the corner it might be the best in the animals interests and mine to just find them suitable loving homes until after I am settled into the new house or into my apartment for college. I love them to death, each and every one of them puts a big smile on my face, but if you love something, sometimes it's the best thing to let them go to a new loving home. Someday, in the near future, I might get one or two more reptiles, but I think I need a break from all of this reptile hobby stuff. Especially when I'm supporting all of my hobby on my own and car payments, insurance, gas, and food for myself etc. Plus, I have to pay of more vet bills.. *SIGH* I really don't want to but I think I have too. It's just going to be hard deciding what stays and goes, I know for sure that I am keeping the two Northern Black Knob Sawback Map Turtles, Corn Snake and Bearded Dragon, a family friend passed away on my birthday and the Corn Snake was his that we picked up for him at PETCO in 2010 and the Bearded Dragon was a rescue of mine that I re-homed to his son this summer, but since his father passed away may he rest peacefully, I am returning it back to him when he gets his feet on the ground and finds a new place to live in town. I guess it's time to be responsible and do the right thing.

I'm sorry to hear that you are contemplating this, but all we can do is offer our support to you with whatever you decide. For what it's worth I have a lot of respect for you as a keeper - I've read a lot of your threads and you are a wealth of information. Good luck with whatever your future holds. :eek:

Sometimes loving our pets and being a good owner is knowing when they will be better off in another home. I respect your thinking of the wellbeing of your animals. I think that whatever you decide, your pets are lucky to have you. Good luck!

Start breeding them. You'll make enough money to support the hobby and if you do it right...you'll be able to pay your car off.

Breeding chameleons makes it so much more of a hobby than just keeping a bunch of males as pets IMO. Raising 20 babies from hatchling to adult is very rewarding....and if you do it right (breed your own food etc), very lucrative.

I can understand what a tough decision you are going through, but at least you are aware that you can't give them ALL what they need and continue with your financial committments. Its the sign of a responsible pet owner that you have made your decision to downsize. Good luck!

I have to disagree with everyone here. Get rid of it all or at least 90 percent. That just sounds like a total cluster fxxx.

I have to disagree with everyone here. Get rid of it all or at least 90 percent. That just sounds like a total cluster fxxx.

It is.. I hate having all of them to be honest, my time is consumed with almost all of them. The Chinchilla goes back to the previous owner next Sunday. One down, like a dozen more to go.

I would start from scratch with just one underrated species. I had like one of every animal in the world and an emergency forced me to sell them all at a petshop doorstep. Now i have a real project going

It is.. I hate having all of them to be honest, my time is consumed with almost all of them. The Chinchilla goes back to the previous owner next Sunday. One down, like a dozen more to go.

Ok lets have a list. Give us a list of all you own if it is for sale or not. that way you may have an idea what you could sell easily and be able to make a more informed decision. Like you i agree the work involved in their keeping of reptiles in out climate is so much more than in most other climates.:( If I were not at home all day I am not sure I could do it.

If you really want to keep them, you might be able to find them new owners to house them until you are ready to get them back. Otherwise, a downgrade sounds like a good idea.

I know how hard it can be to juggle everythig at once with college and life in general. I have a variety of pets that i've gotten and it wasn't the best idea. They've been passing away due to old age slowly but surely and its a little easier. I miss them and all, but it was too much.

I have 2 chameleons and i dont want anymore right now. It's to much work untill your stable. Being able to pay for food and vet bills is super importent and if you cant you need to give them or sell them to people who can. Goodluck and i wish you the best :)

I can totally understand, there are many animals/reptiles I would love to keep but have narrowed my collection down to lower maintenance species. I love cham's, uri's, leachies, and tree monitors, i had wanted to have at least one of each but in the end had to dial it back. Raising our daughter meant a smaller range of species in my collection, and I am good with that. Sometimes stepping back from a hobby will help you find focus and help you find that happy medium/balance you need.

Ok lets have a list. Give us a list of all you own if it is for sale or not. that way you may have an idea what you could sell easily and be able to make a more informed decision. Like you i agree the work involved in their keeping of reptiles in out climate is so much more than in most other climates.:( If I were not at home all day I am not sure I could do it.

I had 5 Chameleons, 7 Crested Geckos + 4 eggs, 2 Leopard Geckos, 1 Bearded Dragon, 1 Corn Snake, 2 Emperor Scorpions, 3 Turtles, and a Chinchilla. I am selling the supplies off that I didn't use, like the 55 gallon tank I had that was sitting in our living room for 3 months now, and yes, it is hard! We are now moving out to the lake on the edge of town and it will be even harder to keep them at a good temp. I would love to start up again some day but I'm not going to make it so that I can't even turn their lights on and off and not be able to feed them on time etc. Keeping one Chameleon would be what I want to do just for now and my turtles. :) I hate the northern parts here. Too cold! I want to go to Arizona. ha ha

Start breeding them. You'll make enough money to support the hobby and if you do it right...you'll be able to pay your car off.

Breeding chameleons makes it so much more of a hobby than just keeping a bunch of males as pets IMO. Raising 20 babies from hatchling to adult is very rewarding....and if you do it right (breed your own food etc), very lucrative.

Breeding takes LOTS of time and money. If you are trying to give up some of the work and expense do not choose to breed. People think breeders make a lot of money but trust me, having done it for 5 years now I can only say it is a labor of love and constant trips to buy food and pay vet bills.

Breeding takes LOTS of time and money. If you are trying to give up some of the work and expense do not choose to breed. People think breeders make a lot of money but trust me, having done it for 5 years now I can only say it is a labor of love and constant trips to buy food and pay vet bills.

I've been there, and done that! I didn't mind going through the process, but right now that is not an option on 'how to make a quick buck'.

Totally agree with this post. Breeding is def a labor of love for the hobby. Not a get rich quick scheme. Im lucky if I make a few bucks on each clutch I produce and that $$$ usually goes right back into husbandry needs or for vet trips.

This is my take on it.

Attachments

• onedoes.JPG
    onedoes.JPG
    23.9 KB · Views: 96
Back
Top Bottom