Considering Cricket Breeding

what type of rearing bin? I have added the deli cups of soil, would moving to a plastic shoe box to hatch in be ok, does it need to be dark or clear ok? Does the soil need to be removed after pin heads hatch?

I place my laying bins in a 29L clear bin and place it on top of my fluorescent light fixture and wait. No need to take the soil out if you don't want to. The only problem I have had is trying to get the crickets out with coco core or soil. They don't call them pins for nothing you know.

i did find a good trick for sepperating the pin heads out of the dirt. i took the laying bins of soil and placed them in a medium rubbermaid, i put the laying bins up on a upside down deli cup, then when the pins hatch they jump,crawl, or fall down and end up in the rubbermaid with no way back to the dirt.

i did find a good trick for sepperating the pin heads out of the dirt. i took the laying bins of soil and placed them in a medium rubbermaid, i put the laying bins up on a upside down deli cup, then when the pins hatch they jump,crawl, or fall down and end up in the rubbermaid with no way back to the dirt.

Thanks Hoj!! I will try that next time;);)

I know this is a silly question but, I'm guessing the pinheads can't hang on to the sides of a rubbermaid? Can't climb the walls?

If they can, how do you keep them in the tubs?

Yup until they're about 5/8"-3/4" but just simply surround the top of the container with the tape !

How long does it take for them to get this big?
Also, how will they have enough air to breath if you put tape around the top? Do I need to drill air holes in the top? If I put air holes in the top, won't they escape?

hey rob,
so you haven't had any issues w/ the black crickets biting you or the chams?

i thought about getting these but i was afraid of the biting. who sells black crickets anyways?

hey rob,
so you haven't had any issues w/ the black crickets biting you or the chams?

i thought about getting these but i was afraid of the biting. who sells black crickets anyways?

Nope, never had a problem with them. I have put a carrot in the bottom of the cage just in case extra's get hungry and I do notice the carrot gets munched on. But I have been using them exclusively for a year now without any issues. I will also say I don't free range them in my crested gecko tubs either, but not because I have had issues just as a precaution. I did have a couple escape in one of my adult male cresties bin and lived in there for more than a month before I could find them and get rid of them and didn't have any problems with the gecko:rolleyes: The whole crazy cricket thing is WAY over stated!! I really think that it's one of those things like superworms eating holes in your chameleons. They do bite...but no worse than a superworm. They grow almost twice as big as a brown cricket, and I have never had an issue when they were the size of a brown cricket. The two times I have been bitten was when I was being stupid and with full sized (huge) adults.

I am sure a bunch of places have them but I have always gotten them from Mulberry farms. I think the Bug Guy has them too.

Nope, never had a problem with them. I have put a carrot in the bottom of the cage just in case extra's get hungry and I do notice the carrot gets munched on. But I have been using them exclusively for a year now without any issues. I will also say I don't free range them in my crested gecko tubs either, but not because I have had issues just as a precaution. I did have a couple escape in one of my adult male cresties bin and lived in there for more than a month before I could find them and get rid of them and didn't have any problems with the gecko:rolleyes: The whole crazy cricket thing is WAY over stated!! I really think that it's one of those things like superworms eating holes in your chameleons. They do bite...but no worse than a superworm. They grow almost twice as big as a brown cricket, and I have never had an issue when they were the size of a brown cricket. The two times I have been bitten was when I was being stupid and with full sized (huge) adults.

I am sure a bunch of places have them but I have always gotten them from Mulberry farms. I think the Bug Guy has them too.

hmmm. i may have to try these. i'm pretty tired of the die offs. thanks!

Back
Top Bottom