Considering Brevs, Need help

Hakai

I'm considering getting a few brevs and I've done my research, but I still have a few questions. From reading some threads and doing some other research I've gathered that: ABG substrate mix combined with some leaf litter is a sufficient substrate. Is this statement correct? Cuz it seems like there are sooo many layers you need. Does ABG combine everything? And also, where do those sweet horizontal pathway sticks come from (not exo terra jungle vine). Are those bamboo? I've seen some on NEHerpetoculture.com. Can pygs grip that? Are live plants completely necessary? I don't have any live plants in my cresties enclosure and the humidity stays at a constant 60% with sprays every other day. If I don't have any live plants, do I still need any sort of light to create a temperature gradient or even a weak uvb? That's about it, although I may have forgotten a few... Thanks in advance!

Edit: Oh yeah and I have tons of surplus Eco Earth. Is that okay combined with leaf litter, or should I go with ABG? I don't wanna spend any unnecessary money if I can help it.

Last edited:
You need a drainage layer of some sort. The cheapest way to do this is a layer of gravel, rocks, LECA, or charcoal covered with a sheet of weedblocker or windowscreen. Many people use plastic light diffuser- aka eggcrate to build a false bottom with a gap below held up by pvc couplings. One way or another-you just don't want the substrate to be saturated. You will need to watch the water level under here to insure you don't end up with a swamp.

ABG is great. Coir will work as well. Just cover it over well with a layer of leaflitter.

You need fairly thin twigs for pygmys...like toothpick-chopstick width. I'd just gather some suitable branches somewhere for this. If you have creeping fig growing on fences etc. where you live you could rip some of this off and put it in the tank-the thicker portions are just right. Pygs will use thicker branches if they are rough but much prefer thin ones.

I bet pygs would do ok with just ambient lighting. Plants are not needed but do provide great cover and look nice.

You can use coc fiber if you aren't making a live vivarium. ABG will work great but it's main goal is to give plants nutrients the coco fiber doesn't. I disagree that pygmies need tooth pick size twigs. I have a few zoomed twisty branches that I in raveled and that works fine, as long as the surface is rough and not smooth, the pygmies will use it. UVB in not an essential for pygmies and not at all plants, I just use 15w cfl and it works fine. Don't use fake bamboo as that's way to thick and can't be gripped. If you have any questions you can pm me:)

Awesome! Thanks a ton guys! Now I can get started on my setup. Any additional input is still appreciated.

~Ben

what my buddy willa did is she sanded down and polished pieces of wood! it looks very professional. and I haven't tried them yet but maybe consider an infinity tree.

Well all I can say is as long as there are pathways along with foliage,my our little guys will be happy. My pygmy was my first reptile and is very easy to care for. Once you create a habitat that they feel they can escape inside of, they'll settle very quickly.

Back
Top Bottom