Confusing about my chameleon sleep or closed their eyes when basking .

Thanh Tran

I bought my chameleon veiled from Petco 1week ago
Cage L: 16; W: 8; H: 11
have a dripper
UVB 5.0 compact
head lamp 60 watt
I don't use any supplement
I use fake plant and feed him 9 crickets per days
I use spray mist bottle 4 times a day in 1 minute
Recent day I saw him lay down and closed his eyes when basking ( this is a not good sign !!)
He has a shedding on his head and he often rubs his heads to vine , i think to take the shedd on his head out but accidently make his eyes hurt.
And he is not interesting eating recent day
The question is : Does the eyes often closed by he make him self hurt or the light it too close the cage ?
Thank you!!

Attachments

• tempImageaP9lvG.png
    tempImageaP9lvG.png
    2 MB · Views: 113
  • tempImagecpk6ij.png
    tempImagecpk6ij.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 112
Last edited:
Welcome to the forum.

They don't close their eyes while basking—only when something is medically wrong.
Please copy/paste the following, and answer the questions (in bold or a different color for ease of reading), and it would help to see better pics of the enclosure from top (with lighting) to bottom (substrate or drainage).

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:

1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Hi and welcome your enclosure may be on the small size you will want a 2x2x4. Do you know what age roughly your baby is . You have a t5 but is a compact bulb as you will need a long fluorescent arcadia t5ho 6% or reptisun 5%to provide the right uvb for your little 😉 guy

Very cute guy you have there!

I'm no expert but I'd also do some research about supplementation. I saw you don't Use any supplements for him. Neptune the chameleon does a great job with some of the basics and at least for me it helped to visually see everything once I read. 😀 I attached the video on supplements.

• Your Chameleon - veiled chameleon , sex: unknown
  • Handling - not often about 2 times a week
  • Feeding - 12 crickets per day
  • Supplements - I don't use any supplement
  • Watering - dripper, I mist 4 times a day in 1 minute I didn't see my chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - his poop color have black and light yellow , he not test parasite before
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - My cage is W:8; L:16;H:11 by glass .
  • Lighting -Zoo Med ReptiSun 10.0 UVB Mini Compact Fluorescent (13 watts) and Fluker's Reptile Incandescent Daylight Bulb for Pet Habitat, Blue .I use both of them from 8 AM through 8PM?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - I don't have equipment to measure the Humidity.
  • Plants - I use fake plant
  • Placement - My cage located near a windows
  • Location - I live in Hanford, California
Current Problem - Confusing does the light too close , or he has parasite or other thing make him sleep during the day .
Recent day I saw him lay down and closed his eyes when basking ( this is a not good sign !!)
He has a shedding on his head and he often rubs his heads to vine , i think to take the shedd on his head out but accidently make his eyes hurt.

Thank you!!

Attachments

• tempImageEV7Hl7.png
    tempImageEV7Hl7.png
    2 MB · Views: 98
  • tempImaged8Xjsu.png
    tempImaged8Xjsu.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 89
  • tempImageZbCGpW.png
    tempImageZbCGpW.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 96
  • tempImage1A8CpY.png
    tempImage1A8CpY.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 88
  • tempImageP3wjaE.png
    tempImageP3wjaE.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 89
Very cute guy you have there!

I'm no expert but I'd also do some research about supplementation. I saw you don't Use any supplements for him. Neptune the chameleon does a great job with some of the basics and at least for me it helped to visually see everything once I read. 😀 I attached the video on supple
thank you I would order it for today

• Your Chameleon - veiled chameleon , sex: unknown
  • Feeding - 12 crickets per day
  • Supplements - I don't use any supplement
  • Watering - dripper, I mist 4 times a day in 1 minute I didn't see my chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - his poop color have black and light yellow , he not test parasite before

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - My cage is W:8; L:16;H:11 by glass .
  • Lighting -Zoo Med ReptiSun 10.0 UVB Mini Compact Fluorescent (13 watts) and Fluker's Reptile Incandescent Daylight Bulb for Pet Habitat, Blue .I use both of them from 8 AM through 8PM?
  • Humidity - I don't have equipment to measure the Humidity.
  • Plants - I use fake plant
  • Placement - My cage located near a windows
Current Problem - Confusing does the light too close , or he has parasite or other thing make him sleep during the day .

Thank you!!
Please start reading through this now.... every module. Literally everything about your set up must be changed. You have to make changes quickly. These are arboreal reptiles with a lot of needs and this link will walk you through every single aspect of correct care. He is sleeping during the day because he is in a fish tank with the wrong UVB lighting. I am sure it is also way too hot in there. You need to learn all the steps to their care which is why you need to read through this husbandry program. We can not teach every aspect of care. You have to learn the basics first so you understand what we are trying to teach. It is not as easy as watching a video.
https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/

@Thanh Tran look i am going to be honest with you, your enclosure is really not suitable for your chameleon it is way too small . And lots of other problems. If you go through your husbandry form and write a list then you can prioritise what you need . 1 proper enclosure 2 proper lighting +heating 3 proper supplements. + bugs . 4 live plants and take it from there

@Thanh Tran look i am going to be honest with you, your enclosure is really not suitable for your chameleon it is way too small . And lots of other problems. If you go through your husbandry form and write a list then you can prioritise what you need . 1 proper enclosure 2 proper lighting +heating 3 proper supplements. + bugs . 4 live plants and take it from there

Lots (sadly literally everything) needs to be changed ASAP! My feedback and any questions will be in red. I’ve already posted helpful links, but I’ll post helpful images at the end. Take him/her an experienced chameleon vet, too! REMEMBER ALL STUFF I’M SAYING IS FOR USE IN A PROPER ENCLOSURE!!!
  • Your Chameleon - veiled chameleon , sex: unknown Could you post side view pics of the back of his/her back feet? It’ll help us sex him/her.
  • Feeding - 12 crickets per day Age and gender changes feeding schedules. Someone with more experience aging veileds will have to chime in on that. What are you gutloading with?
  • Supplements - I don't use any supplement This is absolutely crucial! A simple but trustworthy schedule is a quality brand of phosphorus-free calcium without D3 on every feeding (like Zoo Med ReptiCalcium without D3), a quality brand of phosphorus-free calcium with D3 once every two weeks (like Zoo Med ReptiCalcium with D3), and a quality brand of multivitamins without D3 once every two weeks (like Zoo Med Reptivite without D3).
  • Watering - dripper, I mist 4 times a day in 1 minute I didn't see my chameleon drinking? You should be misting for a minimum of 2-5+ minutes each time and only misting in the morning and late afternoon/night when cage temps are cooler. Obviously get a proper enclosure first before doing this!
  • Fecal Description - his poop color have black and light yellow , he not test parasite before Take him/her to an experienced chameleon vet for a general check-up, including bloodwork, x-rays, and a fecal float, etc. Take a fresh fecal sample with you, along with dropping off at least 2 more fresh fecals after that to make sure no parasites were missed in the first fecal check.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - My cage is W:8; L:16;H:11 by glass . She/he needs either an all screen enclosure or a glass or PVC terrarium or enclosure with proper ventilation ASAP! Also make sure to not put any substrate in the proper enclosure! I’d also replace all the Exo Terra vines with live ones and/or a different brand, as they can cause health issues.
  • Lighting -Zoo Med ReptiSun 10.0 UVB Mini Compact Fluorescent (13 watts) and Fluker's Reptile Incandescent Daylight Bulb for Pet Habitat, Blue .I use both of them from 8 AM through 8PM? You need a T5 High Output linear light fixture with a matching size linear Zoo Med 5.0 (replace every 6 months if you don’t get a Solarmeter 6.5) or Arcadia 6% (replaced yearly if you don’t get a Solarmeter 6.5) UVB bulb. It needs to be either as long as or a foot longer than the length of the proper enclosure you need to get ASAP. Make sure to hang it at the correct height so your chameleon gets the proper UVI levels! Also invest in a Solarmeter 6.5 if you can afford it! It’ll give you precise UVI readings and tell you when you need to replace the linear UVB bulb (when readings are cut in half)! You need to replace the blue heat bulb with a regular white light household incandescent bulb or halogen bulb. You’ll have to play around with wattages to get the correct temp. All lights (heat, linear UVB, any plant lights) need to be on for 12 hours and all completely off for 12 hours. A timer will help with this.
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? These are crucial, too! Again, age changes temp levels! Just make sure to have a digital thermometer with a probe hanging where his/her casque/top of his/her back is on his/her’s basking branch and that is the correct temperature! What is the temp at night, at basking, and ambient during the day?
  • Humidity - I don't have equipment to measure the Humidity. This is crucial, as well! Get 3 digital thermometer-hygrometer combos and place one near the top of the cage, one in the middle, and one at the bottom to get ambient temp and humidity levels. It should be between 30-50% during the day, and anywhere fro 75% to up to 100% at night (with lots of ventilation, which you don’t have)!
  • Plants - I use fake plant Veileds need live chameleon-safe plants only! No fake vines with leaves on them, fake plants, or fake leaf bunches, etc! Make sure all plants are properly prepared before putting them in, including properly cleaning them off and covering all soil in the pots with stones too big for him/her to eat! You also needs TONS more branches, vines, and plants, as well, for your new cage!
  • Placement - My cage located near a windows Is the window energy efficient or does it change the enclosure temperature when it’s hot or cold out? Can he/she see his/her reflection in the window?
And he is not interesting eating recent day Experienced chameleon vet, proper cage, proper lights, proper supplements, proper temps and humidity levels, proper gutloads, etc. ASAP just to start with! Read every link @Beman and I have posted!

Thank you!!

Attachments

• chameleon-gutload 3.jpg
    chameleon-gutload 3.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 70
  • chameleon-food.jpg
    chameleon-food.jpg
    192.3 KB · Views: 77

Thanh Tran

Please don't think anyone is yelling at you or scolding you; we all want the best for you and your pet.
Some folks can get pretty passionate about things. Many here started where you are—you're not alone. :)
Thank you- this is true- I stalk and learn but haven’t posted much because some are pretty harsh with their corrections -
I was astonished at the amount of misinformation on chameleon husbandry out there- and I would hope people really want to educate that’s the only way people will change practices and in turn it’s better for the chameleon-

Back
Top Bottom