Confused with suppliments

Hello,

I have been doing some research on the suppliments that a chameleon needs and I've found out that they need 3 different suppliments. Calcium with D3, Calcium without D3 and a multivitamin. I am unsure if the suppliments that I am using are right...

I am currently using Repti Calcium without D3 on every feed (3-4 times a week) as well as Zoo Med's Reptivite with D3 every two weeks, however both the labels say to dust 12 feeders a week, so I'm confused on how often to give her these.

I also have a suppliment that I don't use after hearing bad reports about it but its Nutrobal which is a calcium balancer and a multivitamin.

I also need a new multivitamin suppliment but I haven't been able to find anywhere that sells it, so if anyone knows any that would be great!

Thanks!

Attachments

• 20220114_163641.jpg
    20220114_163641.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 87
  • 20220114_163651.jpg
    20220114_163651.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 90
  • 20220114_163656.jpg
    20220114_163656.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 80
Reptivite with D3 is both the multivitamin and D3 supplement. You do that twice a month. Then for any other feedings you dust with calcium without D3.

Reptivite with D3 is what I use for a multivitamin because it has pre formed vitamin A and it's what my vet recommended.

How many feeders you dust is more about the age and species of your chameleon.

What species and what gender? I feed my male Veiled 3x a week, 2 big feeders. Others do 3 feeders. My guy is getting porky...I think because he's hunting isopods in his enclosure.

What species and what gender? I feed my male Veiled 3x a week, 2 big feeders. Others do 3 feeders. My guy is getting porky...I think because he's hunting isopods in his enclosure.
Veiled female. I'm currently feeding her every other day now that she has turned 1yr old.

I use Arcadia calcium with magnesium every feeding.
Except when every week alternate with zoomed reptivite no d3multivitamin & sticky tongue farms indoor (low dose d3)
Im using Arcadia pro uvb lighting, im a believer of matching the supplement with the lighting you provide if using a t8 or less reliable source of uvb then perhaps a higher d3 supplement would work better. Similarly if kept outdoors no d3 supp.

I use Arcadia calcium with magnesium every feeding.
Except when every week alternate with zoomed reptivite no d3multivitamin & sticky tongue farms indoor (low dose d3)
Im using Arcadia pro uvb lighting, im a believer of matching the supplement with the lighting you provide if using a t8 or lrss reliable source of uvb then perhaps a higher d3 supplement would work better. Similarly if kept outdoors no d3 supp.
I'm actually not too sure the lighting I have. I know that I have two lights for her.

Attachments

• 20220114_175616.jpg
    20220114_175616.jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 76
Why is a coild uvb not recommended? I'm just curious as It was given to me by someone that owns a reptile shop.
I've just googled what a coil uvb is and it isn't what I have.
I have a spare light for when she is in her tree outside of her cage. It's the same that I have in one of the lights at the minute. Its 50watts.

It isn't what I usually use, but her other light went out yesterday and it's all I have at the minute.

Attachments

• 20220114_183854.jpg
    20220114_183854.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 84
Thats a halogen bulb whats in other side?
16421861137112252551745857372303.jpg
Long tube t5ho uvb tubes is way to go. Pet shops usually sell kits that Will last your chameleon 3 months before upgrade needed

They give uvb but in a small beam and burn out sooner than the fluorescent tubes, led is future though:

Conclusion. The optimal range of LEDs emitting UVB radiation for vitamin D production was found to be between 293 and 298 nm. The 293 nm LED was found to be 2.4 times more efficient in converting 7-DHC to previtamin D3 in human skin than the sun, thus improving its safety profile.13 Sept 2017
(Taken from web)

But i dont know much about led as im using the tube type, other than my plant lights led.

They give uvb but in a small beam and burn out sooner than the fluorescent tubes, led is future though:

Conclusion. The optimal range of LEDs emitting UVB radiation for vitamin D production was found to be between 293 and 298 nm. The 293 nm LED was found to be 2.4 times more efficient in converting 7-DHC to previtamin D3 in human skin than the sun, thus improving its safety profile.13 Sept 2017
(Taken from web)

But i dont know much about led as im using the tube type, other than my plant lights led.
I'll take a look at the tube ones next time. If they work for you, they'll work for me!

Not about supplements but @Khayward014 ...are you aware that female veileds can produce eggs without having mated? If you don't control her diet and temperatures she will produce large clutches, may develop MBD, could prolapse and become eggbound. She needs a proper laybin in her cage now too.

If you're looking to review your full husbandry we can do that for sure. You'd just start a new thread and answer all the questions in our how to ask for help thread. However, since you seem to like researching and are already adjusting your setup I think you might actually do well reviewing this husbandry program on Chameleon Academy. This is one of the best resources out there:

https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-basics/

Another good resource is Neptune the Chameleon on YouTube.

If you're looking to review your full husbandry we can do that for sure. You'd just start a new thread and answer all the questions in our how to ask for help thread. However, since you seem to like researching and are already adjusting your setup I think you might actually do well reviewing this husbandry program on Chameleon Academy. This is one of the best resources out there:

https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-basics/

Another good resource is Neptune the Chameleon on YouTube.
I'll take a good read through this, it looks very helpful. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom