Conformation of set up

RachelLane95

Hi
Ive had my panther chameleon a week now and he seems very dull on his blue bars so just wanted to check ive got my set up correct, hes had a health check with the vet so hes definatly healthy!
He is in a 3ftx2.5ftx1.5ft mesh viv, he has a 100 watt infra red basking bulb and his basking spot is approximatly 8 inches away from it and the thermosat is set to 85 and that is what the temps are measuring, the cool end is 76-78, he has. A compact reptigli 5.0 25w uv bulb but will be changing it to a t8 6% as soon as i can get a reflector, he has various sized logs and vines and 4 plants, he has a reptile fountain rock in with him that I am cleaning and will soon be upgrading to the big dripper, he has no substrate and is never seen on the floor of the viv only sat on the lowest branch when too hot, he has 6-7 large locusts every other day dusted in calcium with no d3 every other feed then calcium with d3 + multivitamins twice a month, he alsp has verm-x once a month, he is eating and drinking fine, he is sprayed 2-3 times a day and has humidity of 40-50% and then rises to 65% when sprayed and then i allow it to dry out, he has his lights on from 8am to 8pm and will go to sleep within 10 mins of them being turned off, i am gutloading the locusts with watercress, sweet potato, apple, papaya and dandelion leaves, think that is everything any advice would be amazing! Thanks! :D

If you wouldn't mind posting some pictures that would be helpful as well :)

Dimensions are normally laid out in width x length x height. So with that in mind, your enclosure is too short... unless you meant that it's 3' tall?

I think he should have more variety in his food. You only mention locusts here. Is there anything else?

:) Dillon

image.jpg [/ATTACH]
Oh whoops in that case yes it is 3ft tall 2.5ft wide and 1.5ft deep
Ive only fed him locusts at the moment as i know thats what he was eating before I got him so wanted to make sure he ate but yeah i will be mixing it up a bit :)

Nice, that's a pretty neat enclosure :) I think he'd need a few more things to hide behind. I personally like pothos and colius plants the most for that. They hold moisture well and are good for climbing.

Once he's an adult you'll want to get a 24x24x48 minimally. But that one is alright for now.

So just to be clear--what are the two lights for? One is heat and one is UVB? What are you using to measure the temp and humidity?

Okay! I bought one more plant yesterday! And oh really i bought that viv being informed it would be fine for an adult panther damn it! I guess il have to have a search around and yes ones heat and ones uv but within the next week the uv will be changed to a tube and i have a thermo-hygrometer measuring the basking area and a thermometer dial measuring the bottom but thinking of getting one of the infra red readers too :)

Awesome! Yeah--I was told that about my 18x18x36 enclosure I bought my little guy in... but the internet says different all over haha. 24x24x48 is the recommended size :) Anything bigger would be nice too, as they like to be able to climb around all over. Good exercise I guess. And if you take them outside a lot they like that too :D It's good to get sunshine!

What type of plant did you end up getting?

And yes, if you get an infrared gun that's the best. They're very accurate. I have one from Cheerman that I got on Amazon that I recommend :)

Hen

Ah okay! Thanks it was one of the fake hanging plants i need to find some good live plants to add in!
Yeah i will be taking him outside when hes settled but hes been out before at the shop so hes had some good uv, can you reccomend some good live plants?
And awesome il pick one of them up!

I am wondering why you are using the red light. I know some people will use them for night time, but it's really not recommended. Also, from looking at your setup, I was not noticing a UV light. Is there a UV light on there? Need to make sure he's getting proper UV lighting. And he may just be acclimating to his new environment. But his colors did not look stressed to me in his photo. He is an attractive little guy.

My favorite plant to use is a schefflera, or umbrella plant. You can get them pretty cheap at Home Depot. They are great for catching water droplets for your guy to drink.

Oh really? What heat lamp do you recommend? And yea he has uv its in the other dome but will be changing it to a tube arcadia one this week!
And brilliant thanks will have a look for some plants!

For heat, any basking lamp should do. Just make sure you get a regular light, not an infrared bulb. If your temps are dropping below 55 or so at night, then you can try a ceramic heater to warm him up a little. But remember, you want a drop in temp at night to aid in his digestion. Sounds like you are going to be a great chameleon owner. And remember, never trust what they tell you at the pet store. You should always come on here and ask your questions. There are a lot of great chameleon owners, many with A LOT more experience than me, happy to answer questions. People on here are great.

For heat, any basking lamp should do. Just make sure you get a regular light, not an infrared bulb. If your temps are dropping below 55 or so at night, then you can try a ceramic heater to warm him up a little. But remember, you want a drop in temp at night to aid in his digestion. Sounds like you are going to be a great chameleon owner. And remember, never trust what they tell you at the pet store. You should always come on here and ask your questions. There are a lot of great chameleon owners, many with A LOT more experience than me, happy to answer questions. People on here are great.

I'm with you on all of that.

I'm probably on this site like 23/24 hours of the day... there's so much to learn! :D

Okay brilliant thanks for your help i shall make those changes!
Ive added more branches and fake plants today to give him more cove and am going to find a umbrella plant! image.jpg

After adding more plants and vines to ckicos viv he has majorly cheered up his colours are a lot brighter when i went to turn lights out (he wasnt asleep im aware they change when sleeping) just lights to sort then he should be a happy chappy! :D

Back
Top Bottom