Confirm ID of parasites in fecal float?

Gyri

Hi all,
Long time reader, first time poster. My wife and I rescued a sub-adult Veiled Chameleon that was found crossing a busy street in an urban part of Vermont. The lizard was emaciated at the time, and after eventually finding the owners learned it had been loose for about two weeks and that they were not interested in taking the animal back. The Chameleon (we named him Valspar), did start to put weight back on, but has plateaued and is still pretty scrawny. After finding out none of the vets in my area do in-house floats anymore we decided to do a float ourselves and see what turned up rather than sending out to a lab (my wife works in the veterinary field, so while not a vet, we have access to all the necessary materials). I believe what I am looking at is coccidia and pinworm eggs, but I could really use a second opinion as I am not confident in my ID (the cells with two nuclei also look like giardia to me, but from my understanding that is not very common and giardia cells are much smaller, not that there is anything in the pics for scale...).

From what I have read, pinworms are often not problematic, but coccidia definitely is. I am sorry these pictures are not great (cell phone through the microscope lens). Can someone here confirm for me what I am looking at? Thank you so much in advance!

Untitled-1.png Untitled-2.png Untitled-3.png Untitled-4.png Untitled-5.png Untitled-6.png Untitled-7.png Untitled-8.jpg

Can’t answer your question, but if you could fill out the ask for help form (link in my signature below) and post pics of your cham and his cage, it’ll help us make sure your husbandry is spot on!

I believe you are correct but those pictures are a bit blurry. From what I can see that is pinworm ova and coccidia oocysts. Giardia are smaller and more translucent. You could take your pictures to your vet for confirmation.
Some people will treat coccidia no matter how many are found on a fecal others only when there are symptoms or very high counts. It is extremely difficult to eliminate and is not easy to disinfect on surfaces so the possibility of reinfection is high. It can be done but takes commitment to medicating and cleaning.
I have found that poor doers respond to treatment for pinworms. I would not rule out treating them. I have had a few of my chams gain weight after treatment for pinworms.

All parasite can slow the appetite and if they go untreated will make your chameleon ill and eventually kill it. My vegs treat for all and any amount of parasites.

Back
Top Bottom