Concrete cricket hides

Rootman

hey everybody I made Cricket hides to keep them out of the plants and such I have sealed them with a non-toxic grout sealer from what I can find it should be safe just wanted to get thoughts and opinions from other people thanks for your input

Attachments

• 16547982101075210888707256957570.jpg
    16547982101075210888707256957570.jpg
    264.2 KB · Views: 52
Cool idea... I am not sure how widely used they would be with chameleons since most forums recommend using a feeder run rather than free feeding.

He seems to be a hunter you put food in front of him he will ignore it you put it in the cage he will go watch it for a minute and eat. He appears to come out from under the Basking light 3 or 5 times a day looking for food, eat and repeat. I figured something for the Crickets to hide in being the same to congregate like that put the openings near were I have food for the crickets hopefully they will be easier for him to find.

Cool idea... I am not sure how widely used they would be with chameleons since most forums recommend using a feeder run rather than free feeding.
Doing the Crickets like this I do worry about him getting enough calcium in vitamins. I do use cut loading Cricket food to feed the crickets and I do Dustin with calcium and vitamin dust before I put them in the cage. his poop looks normal.

Looks neat, if you used non toxic brown paint it would blend in with the surroundings. Could you put a pic up to see how they look in enclosure?

Have you tried a feeder run though? Or have you always free fed like that. The issue is crickets will clean them selves and if he is chasing them around then they are getting a lot of the supplements off of them. The main point of supplementing is to balance the phosphorus to calcium ratio of the feeder.

Runs and dishes take awhile to get used to. Free range feeding is not something someone new to chams should be doing for alot of reasons. Supplements bites gut loading and not knowing how much they eat. There are more reasons thar just a few. Mbd is a bad thing for them. Which does not pop up over night so you might think your doing good till it pops up. You also have to do weigh checks when free range. How are you gut loading and feeding them while they free range.

Looks neat, if you used non toxic brown paint it would blend in with the surroundings. Could you put a pic up to see how they look in enclosure?
Just put them in today the crickets at least our checking them out going in and out of them maybe they'll serve their purpose

Attachments

• 16549039004972472963462145130708.jpg
    16549039004972472963462145130708.jpg
    262.3 KB · Views: 44
Have you tried a feeder run though? Or have you always free fed like that. The issue is crickets will clean them selves and if he is chasing them around then they are getting a lot of the supplements off of them. The main point of supplementing is to balance the phosphorus to calcium ratio of the feeder.
Yes I feed him like this because if you put the food in anyting he will ignore it if it's not running free he won't pay them no mind I do dust them with calcium and vitamins I also feed them gut loading Cricket food which is supposed to have vitamins and calcium in it too. I believe it's because he was wild caught and is used to catching his own food

Runs and dishes take awhile to get used to. Free range feeding is not something someone new to chams should be doing for alot of reasons. Supplements bites gut loading and not knowing how much they eat. There are more reasons thar just a few. Mbd is a bad thing for them. Which does not pop up over night so you might think your doing good till it pops up. You also have to do weigh checks when free range. How are you gut loading and feeding them while they free range.
I am feeding the Crickets gut loading Cricket food with vitamins and calcium in it and as far as him getting used to the Crickets being in a dish or something if he's not going to eat them is not going to make any difference at least this way he eat and he is putting on weight from what he was when I got him you can visually see that. And I watching he goes down toward the bottom and gets a couple crickets two or three times a day or so so he's eating doesn't like being misted so I got a drip for him and he drinks so we'll see how it goes

How big is the enclosure? I don't see many branches. Here's what mine looks like also diy feeder on right side

Attachments

• IMG_20220606_070659_hdr_kindlephoto-896340306.jpg
    IMG_20220606_070659_hdr_kindlephoto-896340306.jpg
    175 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
Yes I feed him like this because if you put the food in anyting he will ignore it if it's not running free he won't pay them no mind I do dust them with calcium and vitamins I also feed them gut loading Cricket food which is supposed to have vitamins and calcium in it too. I believe it's because he was wild caught and is used to catching his own food
I think it would be beneficial for you to start reading through everything here. https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/

Chameleons have very specific requirements for housing and environment. Everything needs to be right or they start having health issues. From the image you posted you will want to make corrections.

How big is the enclosure? I don't see many branches. Here's what mine looks like also diy feeder on right side
13 by 32 by 50 inches working on more branches and such for him to climb on had fake Vines and leaves they were giving him issues and was reading a lot of stuff about people said they could eat pieces of them by accident so I got rid of them
16550440568825152984765151060779.jpg

Yeah he's got a spot on the tree that he goes to every night somewhere around 7 and that's about his bedtime

hey everybody I made Cricket hides to keep them out of the plants and such I have sealed them with a non-toxic grout sealer from what I can find it should be safe just wanted to get thoughts and opinions from other people thanks for your input
When my cham was younger I was able to drop 20 crickets in his enclosure and watch him run around and eat them all within minutes. Now that he's older his appetite is not what it used to be. If I drop them in he will just watch them. It's cup feeding from now on. Seems with cricket hides you will have more crickets dying off inside them than being eaten.

Yeah he's got a spot on the tree that he goes to every night somewhere around 7 and that's about his bedtime
Sassy heads to bed around 5:30 😴 same spot likes to be vertical.

Attachments

• IMG_2535_kindlephoto-84599728.jpg
    IMG_2535_kindlephoto-84599728.jpg
    215.3 KB · Views: 37
Back
Top Bottom