Concise Chameleon lighting guide video

Thank you! I’m trying…I just started making videos. It’s a lot of fun so far. The vent fans have been great…improved the environment and give me a bit of peace of mind 🙏🏽🙏🏽

Really good an informative video. One thing I have to comment on though is the 90 degree basking basking temp I think you mentioned that you keep your males at, you would want to keep females at 80F and males at 85F usually :) this is to slow metabolism to help your chams live longer lives :).

Also, nice set-ups you have!

One thing I have to comment on though is the 90 degree basking basking temp I think you mentioned that you keep your males at, you would want to keep females at 80F and males at 85F usually :) this is to slow metabolism to help your chams live longer lives :).
That may account for sex of one or a few species, but not all species nor age.

Is there a study or other credible source for the statement that cooler basking temps can increase longevity, or is this just conjecture? :unsure:

That may account for sex of one or a few species, but not all species nor age.

Is there a study or other credible source for the statement that cooler basking temps can increase longevity, or is this just conjecture? :unsure:
Yes of course, but the op has a Panther chameleon so that’s what I was commenting toward.

Higher temps are seen to increase metabolism and thus increase growth rates in organisms, and such decreases life span.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4486781/

also note that I mentioned lowering the temps would *help* not definitely lead to an increase in longevity.

Yes of course, but the op has a Panther chameleon so that’s what I was commenting toward.
That's the one species out of three (panther, veiled, Jackson's) that Chameleon Academy lists as having a higher basking temp of 85-90F.

Higher temps are seen to increase metabolism and thus increase growth rates in organisms, and such decreases life span.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4486781/

also note that I mentioned lowering the temps would *help* not definitely lead to an increase in longevity.
Thanks for the link! I can't say it's conclusive by any stretch. Other factors (genetics, diet, lifestyle, etc.) seem to override temperature, and I'm finding many exceptions. Enough that I'd be hesitant to apply it to chameleon basking temps within 5 degrees (80-85 vs. 85-90).

Yea the basking temp isn't as important as is the overall ambient temperature in the chams cage/room w.r.t how temperature, in general, affects longevity.

I would argue that both internal and external factors are equally important in how they can each individually affect an organisms longevity. But, for instance, temperature can affect gene expression, so who knows.

Really good an informative video. One thing I have to comment on though is the 90 degree basking basking temp I think you mentioned that you keep your males at, you would want to keep females at 80F and males at 85F usually :) this is to slow metabolism to help your chams live longer lives :).

Also, nice set-ups you have!

Thanks for the reply. My boys are usually at 87 on average, because I aim to be between 85-90 and my girls are at 83 usually, aiming for 80-85. It of course fluctuates up and down depending on my house temps, but these are my usual numbers ❤️

Imo I would keep your girls cooler I don't know about cooler temps increasing life as Thompson mentioned but higher temps and to much food ( even though some might think their starved but get more than they would in the wild) will increase egg clutch size putting more strain on their body and potentially decrease life expectancy. 78 to 80 max. Hey just my opinion

Back
Top Bottom