Concerned mama. Need input.

Bazelthechameleon

Avid Member
I found Bazel towards the bottom of the cage sleeping today. It was only 30 mins before his bed time but I’ve never seen him close his eyes before his light go off. He ticks himself in but he never falls asleep until the lights have been off for a few mins. I gently picked him up and placed him at the top of the cage where his lights could hit him better because I wanted to test his grip strength and check for injury since he usually doesn’t chill that low in the cage. He promptly woke up and crawled back onto a branch. Should I be worried or is he just getting older and starting to fall asleep earlier? I’ve never had this problem before. Eating and drinking habits are the same and his color is fine. I don’t know what could be wrong. He had a negative fecal test less than 2 months ago.

I found Bazel towards the bottom of the cage sleeping today. It was only 30 mins before his bed time but I’ve never seen him close his eyes before his light go off. He ticks himself in but he never falls asleep until the lights have been off for a few mins. I gently picked him up and placed him at the top of the cage where his lights could hit him better because I wanted to test his grip strength and check for injury since he usually doesn’t chill that low in the cage. He promptly woke up and crawled back onto a branch. Should I be worried or is he just getting older and starting to fall asleep earlier? I’ve never had this problem before. Eating and drinking habits are the same and his color is fine. I don’t know what could be wrong. He had a negative fecal test less than 2 months ago.
I’m gonna run the humidifier tonight in case he’s dehydrated. The only thing that’s changed is I’ve changed his feedings from every other day to every 2 days because I was told he’s on the chubbier side. Should I switch back?

I don’t know much to give any good advice , but in the meantime maybe it will put your mind at ease to say that when we were having colder weather I found my chameleon down towards the bottom sleeping under a plant leaf before lights went out and nothing ever came of it. He has seen a vet since. We chalked it up to winter funk… I don’t know if this is what he could be experiencing?

I don’t know much to give any good advice , but in the meantime maybe it will put your mind at ease to say that when we were having colder weather I found my chameleon down towards the bottom sleeping under a plant leaf before lights went out and nothing ever came of it. He has seen a vet since. We chalked it up to winter funk… I don’t know if this is what he could be experiencing?
His temp is a little low right now. I’m hoping that’s it. His husbandry is exactly following what’s recommended on the forum. I put him up top after I found him sleeping so hopefully he’s warming up.

His temp is a little low right now. I’m hoping that’s it. His husbandry is exactly following what’s recommended on the forum. I put him up top after I found him sleeping so hopefully he’s warming up.
I hope so too! And I hope you are able to figure it out! Hopefully it’s just a weird off day

Hey there... This is not abnormal as they age. If he was really low in a fully planted out cage it will be darker down there. Do not go back to every day feedings if he is chubby. Being overweight brings many health issues that are better to avoid.

Hey there... This is not abnormal as they age. If he was really low in a fully planted out cage it will be darker down there. Do not go back to every day feedings if he is chubby. Being overweight brings many health issues that are better to avoid.
Yeah that makes sense. It was quite shaded where he was and the lights in my room were off. I’ll continue with the every 2 day feedings.

Yeah that makes sense. It was quite shaded where he was and the lights in my room were off. I’ll continue with the every 2 day feedings.
Unless your seeing repeated issues or sleeping during the day or closing eyes then what your describing sounds more like him bedding down for the night.

Also do not freak out about the reduced feedings... I know it can feel wrong since all other "normal" pets we feed every day. Beman has been on a feeding schedule of 3 feeders 2 days a week now for the last 2 years to maintain a healthy weight. So he will not starve with you reducing to every 2 days.

Back
Top Bottom