Concerned about female behavior

Camy+Leon

I bought a male and female Jackson Chameleon 2 months ago, the breeder told me that they were 9 months old the female is less active than the male. She doesn’t really move from one spot. She doesn’t even let the male get close to her. In the other hand the male is very active moving a lot throughout the day. Is this behavior something that I should worry about??

I bought a male and female Jackson Chameleon 2 months ago, the breeder told me that they were 9 months old the female is less active than the male. She doesn’t really move from one spot. She doesn’t even let the male get close to her. In the other hand the male is very active moving a lot throughout the day. Is this behavior something that I should worry about??
Yes, this should worry you and must be fixed immediately. Welcome to the forums, looks like your already in good hands.

You need to pay extremely close attention to the behaviors of both of them.

We house a pair at my job as well and in my opinion they shouldn’t be housed together... BUT if you are going to house then together keep in mind you should probably have double the space you would have for just the one and double the misting time/how frequent you do it. If the male is being more territorial you will find the female lower on the bottom and vise versa. Pay close attention to the colors and keep an eye out for stress patterns and how their eyes look incase they’re dehydrated from improper care before they were in your care

We house a pair at my job as well and in my opinion they shouldn’t be housed together... BUT if you are going to house then together keep in mind you should probably have double the space you would have for just the one and double the misting time/how frequent you do it. If the male is being more territorial you will find the female lower on the bottom and vise versa. Pay close attention to the colors and keep an eye out for stress patterns and how their eyes look incase they’re dehydrated from improper care before they were in your care
No, do not encourage this behavior. Under no circumstances should they be housed together. Period.

Yes, I do house them together in a large terrarium, female is usually on the top and male a little lower, I mist 3-4 times a day ever since I got them the female had dark markings, which was the reason I liked her, but last night for the first time I saw her changed to mint green,

I’m I’m thinking of housing them separate, when I bought them, the breeder told me I Can house them together and I did some research and I found post saying that you can house 1 male with up to 2 females. That’s why I didn’t separate them but now I think I will.

5887CDD3-F40A-4281-BE8C-ECC551E3A3AA.jpeg
C618588E-526A-4841-B11D-5D136EBA87FD.jpeg

from what i see the male has calm colors but in my opinion they’re super chill. the female i have some concerns about. do you have any pictures of them in the enclosure ?

Those are her leave me alone colors. Agree with the above that they should be separated ASAP. If they were nine months old when you got them and housed together it is entirely possible that they have already mated, and she is in her gestation period. This can be anywhere from 5-7 months.

Back
Top Bottom