Concerned about chameleons color & lack of activity

Ok so I am not seeing edema. So that is good. He is a little overweight but otherwise looks good to me physically. His colors are actually pretty stunning there.

Do you ever put him in that outdoor enclosure?
He goes out all the time, typically. Last summer he practically lived in it. But it has been brutal heat here lately. So he hasnt been out in a while. I try to take him out early for a couple hours, but I dont trust my kids not to forget to bring him in before it hits 90. & it has been getting above 90 before I can get home on my lunch. Even in the shade its too hot.

His colors were always yellows & oranges before. But after reading some threads, the color change may be somewhat normal for panthers.
I will cut back his feeders & I swapped sprayers. Hopefully that will kick up his activity level back to 'normal' & he will stop staying in his sleeping spot all day.

His colors were always yellows & oranges before. But after reading some threads, the color change may be somewhat normal for panthers.
I will cut back his feeders & I swapped sprayers. Hopefully that will kick up his activity level back to 'normal' & he will stop staying in his sleeping spot all day.
Color changes are quite common from what I have heard. But your boy is not showing like dull yucky colors. I would just do the things we spoke about. Over all he really looks good. He definitely perks up when he is out so that is good as well.

And yes I would say if you can get him outside mornings well before it hits 80 then get him back in then that would be good otherwise I would not have him out in those temps. I am dealing with the same thing here. Way too hot to get mine outside.

He definitely looks a bit husky. You can see it in his arms and legs and casque. If everything else husbandry-wise is good, then I also agree that's a good place to start. The real problem is the fat eventually builds up inside the chameleon, and can push and constrict the internal organs.

He definitely looks a bit husky. You can see it in his arms and legs and casque. If everything else husbandry-wise is good, then I also agree that's a good place to start. The real problem is the fat eventually builds up inside the chameleon, and can push and constrict the internal organs.
oohh, good to know. It makes sense. Maybe his lack of activity is do to being chonky. I know my fat cat is much less active than the healthy weight cat.
Thank you!

I add 1 part bee pollen 1 part spurilina to 3 parts supplement..I do also add them into gutload. But to be honest I'm not confident the bugs eat the gutload..I shared what I mix up and all say it sounds very good so idk

I add 1 part bee pollen 1 part spurilina to 3 parts supplement..I do also add them into gutload. But to be honest I'm not confident the bugs eat the gutload..I shared what I mix up and all say it sounds very good so idk
I also add in repashy bug burger and superload into gutload..just never seem to see any crickets wanna go for it

I did just change his basking bulb a couple months ago. Its a bit hotter than it was before. I had to get a different brand bulb, the store didnt have the ones i normally buy. I just figured he'd bask less or move lower if it was too hot. 😟
It is a 12%. its a single bulb fixture with reflectors on both sides.
His basking branch is 6" from the top. The next highest branch is 8.75" from the top.
I cant remember what % my last bulb was. My husband had bought it. This 1 was changed 5 months ago. So I'll swap it out.

You could also lower the basking branch, with the 12% it needs a distance of about 12” to be at 3 on the basking branch.

I wanted to update on my guy! Hes doing so much better!! I swapped out his sprayer & put him on a diet & he's much more active & his colors have mostly returned to normal! Although, he is angry about the diet🤣
Wonderful post some new pics when you get a chance. :)

Here he is tonight getting ready for bed.

Attachments

• Polish_20210922_195253596.jpg
    Polish_20210922_195253596.jpg
    250 KB · Views: 86
Here he is tonight getting ready for bed.
HOLY HELL ok I now understand what you meant by lack of colors! Looks like a totally different boy with his greens and reds lol. Looking thinner as well. Looks like he is still storing some fat in the casque it is a bit bubble shaped still but so much better! Great job! What is the feeding schedule right now?

HOLY HELL ok I now understand what you meant by lack of colors! Looks like a totally different boy with his greens and reds lol. Looking thinner as well. Looks like he is still storing some fat in the casque it is a bit bubble shaped still but so much better! Great job! What is the feeding schedule right now?
He gets 5 medium crickets or 4 large crickets every other day.

Back
Top Bottom