Completed new custom build for Norman...so proud of how it turned out!

While my wife does have cats, the squishy face kind aren't really what I'd call "energetic". They like to sit in front of the beardies tank or my cricket bin and watch the crickets. Occasionally I'll give them one or two to chase.

My issue is actually sight lines. The ability to incorporate a shutter so I can control when/where they can see is perfect. I have 4 different custom cages. One is a giant hutch [which is actually 2 enclosure], the other was an entertainment stand [two big towers and the bridge]. I just have my wife watch Facebook for "free if you pick it up" stuff... really cuts the costs.

I've used different things to block off this part or that part, but my issue is that I don't want to obstruct the air flow. Being a general Contractor and previously a PM for a door and hardware company.... I can't believe the concept of louvers hasn't come to me sooner!

Either way, top notch work! Thanks again for the idea ; )

I'm so happy to have provided you with ideas! I used mini blinds on Normans last enclosure. The cat has destroyed those. Bu I still loved the directionality too. The cats are bad enough, but Norman also enjoys taunting the cats when he sees them. Literally would come down from his perch and the top to get face to face and hiss at them through the plexiglass doors. If there had been screen there on that enclosure he'd have probably caught some claw...Norman....sigh... He's such a badass lol.

I'm so happy to have provided you with ideas! I used mini blinds on Normans last enclosure. The cat has destroyed those. Bu I still loved the directionality too. The cats are bad enough, but Norman also enjoys taunting the cats when he sees them. Literally would come down from his perch and the top to get face to face and hiss at them through the plexiglass doors. If there had been screen there on that enclosure he'd have probably caught some claw...Norman....sigh... He's such a badass lol.
Haha, that's hilarious. Our bird will do that. He will actually "meow" to call the cats over and reach his claw through and pet the cat... then he moves on to trying to eat the cat.

And my male Faly knows he's the boss. He will literally hang from his back legs and tail facing down at the dogs when I bring him through to the porch. He actually has climbed on the dog once.. that was fun! [Not so much].

The Joy's of being a keeper!

Coda does something like this but it’s with the dogs..... hearing 2 giant dogs barking at a hissing chameleon isn’t fun while your trying to sleep lol

Haha, that's hilarious. Our bird will do that. He will actually "meow" to call the cats over and reach his claw through and pet the cat... then he moves on to trying to eat the cat.

And my male Faly knows he's the boss. He will literally hang from his back legs and tail facing down at the dogs when I bring him through to the porch. He actually has climbed on the dog once.. that was fun! [Not so much].

The Joy's of being a keeper!

Maybe self preservation is not a big consideration for these guys? Thank goodness they have us!

This was a beautiful job on the cabinet, but is that a reptile carpet on the bottom I see? If it is you need to remove it. They do nothing but hold bacteria

This was a beautiful job on the cabinet, but is that a reptile carpet on the bottom I see? If it is you need to remove it. They do nothing but hold bacteria

Yes, Although not specifically for reptiles its fake grass carpet. I don't know if this bothers you less but it provides drainage. Water does not sit on top. His poop does, and dead crickets do, and falling leaves do. But it's easily removeable and washable, which is why I like it. That said, I am sure it harbors bacteria, but I'm not too worried about it as Norman spends little time wandering on the ground, and generally picks off his food higher up as well. I kinda figure whatever the bottom is is going to harbor bacteria. Still open to having my mind changed if you think I'm not considering something important?

Yes, Although not specifically for reptiles its fake grass carpet. I don't know if this bothers you less but it provides drainage. Water does not sit on top. His poop does, and dead crickets do, and falling leaves do. But it's easily removeable and washable, which is why I like it. That said, I am sure it harbors bacteria, but I'm not too worried about it as Norman spends little time wandering on the ground, and generally picks off his food higher up as well. I kinda figure whatever the bottom is is going to harbor bacteria. Still open to having my mind changed if you think I'm not considering something important?

The problem with artifical grass or any substrate withoutt a clean up crew / bioactive setup is just that -- that cleaning it is hard. I have a bare bottom that I can easily wipe down on a regular basis -- I can even remove if it necessary. If I had it all to do again I would (and will) go bioactive.

Bare floor or Bioactive is my advice.

The problem with artifical grass or any substrate withoutt a clean up crew / bioactive setup is just that -- that cleaning it is hard. I have a bare bottom that I can easily wipe down on a regular basis -- I can even remove if it necessary. If I had it all to do again I would (and will) go bioactive.

Bare floor or Bioactive is my advice.

So why would cleaning the bare floor be any more hygienic than washing the fake grass?

Because anything with nooks and crannies is going to be harder to clean thoroughly.

I'm not saying it can't be done I'm just saying I don't think it's a great idea. It's not necessarily even that he could snag a feeder off of it -- but these are creatures prone to fresh flowing air so anything stagnant, wet and gross is not something I'd mess with.

I'm not saying it can't be done I'm just saying I don't think it's a great idea. It's not necessarily even that he could snag a feeder off of it -- but these are creatures prone to fresh flowing air so anything stagnant, wet and gross is not something I'd mess with.
I see what you are saying with the nooks and crannies. I’m not sure I’m concerned enough to change my system though. Maybe it because as a nurse I believe worrying too much about absolutely pristine conditions creates people (and animals) that have built no immunity to help them when they need it. The carpet, in this case, also provides a necessary barrier between Norman and any potential standing water until it fully gravity drains. There is no bottom screen to perform that function like more typical screen enclosures provide. It is damp right after a misting but dries quickly and does not stay wet like soil or felt, which I like. I have considered many options and since bioactive is not an option in this piece, I’m gonna stick with what’s been working. I’m still listening, but it may be hard to change my mind, I’m so happy with it lol.

I see what you are saying with the nooks and crannies. I’m not sure I’m concerned enough to change my system though. Maybe it because as a nurse I believe worrying too much about absolutely pristine conditions creates people (and animals) that have built no immunity to help them when they need it. The carpet, in this case, also provides a necessary barrier between Norman and any potential standing water until it fully gravity drains. There is no bottom screen to perform that function like more typical screen enclosures provide. It is damp right after a misting but dries quickly and does not stay wet like soil or felt, which I like. I have considered many options and since bioactive is not an option in this piece, I’m gonna stick with what’s been working. I’m still listening, but it may be hard to change my mind, I’m so happy with it lol.

Cool yo you do you.

I may consider something less grassy tho, so maybe you’ve changed my mind a little. I’ll see what’s out there.

I agree with @AnamCara... you do you...but been around long enough to see these carpets or whatever you what to call them ,give one too many a chameleon a RI

Thank you for being concerned. I really do appreciate it and I will look into better alternatives. I really think that his conditions will not be problematic for respiratory infection as humidity is monitored and airflow is good and moisture is not hanging around. However I will be looking for less nubby possibilities for better cleaning to harbor less bacteria. Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom