Compact bulbs

Im an idiot. People say that compact bulbs are not good for your chameleon. I just realised that my female veiled has been living on compact bulbs for 1 1/2 yrs. When I was a new keeper, I bought the dual exo terra compact bulbs and I always thought i had the right ones. My panther, on the other hand, has the correct T5HO. I cant give you a photo right now bc its night here and the chams are sleeping. So my question is how bad are compact bulbs and is it normal thats shes healthy even when having compact bulbs?
one of these things
So my two cents on this.... I want to make it clear that I in no way think that this is an alternative to the T5HO or that these should be used. But in answering your question for your specific situation. I have taken uvi measurements on this type fixture. My neighbor was using it and was running two 10.0 compacts in it. The Cham was 4 years old. Not the healthiest but no visible signs of MBD. The basking branch was literally 5 inches below and this was pulling readings of 5.5 uvi at the back of the cham. So we know from Bill Strand that a safe high for Veileds only is 6 uvi. Dropping down a few inches these still lower in UVI quickly and to almost nothing. Since they are situated sideways with a reflector there is a bit more UVB available that reflects down and in. Except in the center where the two bulbs hook into the fixture. So in a sense if your going to screw up and use a compact this is a better fixture to do it with.

I am guessing you have basking up higher in her cage and that is why your not seeing signs of MBD. In a dome these bulbs are highly unreliable because the cham has one small area very close to the top where it can get UVB. In the type of fixture you have it does disperse better then in a dome because the bulb is sideways. But still has to be quite close to the bulb. Difference being a 6% uvb in a single fixture T5HO puts you at a distance of about 9 inches for basking to get a 3UVI. So the cham is much farther away and a safer distance for having a heat fixture as well.

Here is the video on UVB as well.

So my two cents on this.... I want to make it clear that I in no way think that this is an alternative to the T5HO or that these should be used. But in answering your question for your specific situation. I have taken uvi measurements on this type fixture. My neighbor was using it and was running two 10.0 compacts in it. The Cham was 4 years old. Not the healthiest but no visible signs of MBD. The basking branch was literally 5 inches below and this was pulling readings of 5.5 uvi at the back of the cham. So we know from Bill Strand that a safe high for Veileds only is 6 uvi. Dropping down a few inches these still lower in UVI quickly and to almost nothing. Since they are situated sideways with a reflector there is a bit more UVB available that reflects down and in. Except in the center where the two bulbs hook into the fixture. So in a sense if your going to screw up and use a compact this is a better fixture to do it with.

I am guessing you have basking up higher in her cage and that is why your not seeing signs of MBD. In a dome these bulbs are highly unreliable because the cham has one small area very close to the top where it can get UVB. In the type of fixture you have it does disperse better then in a dome because the bulb is sideways. But still has to be quite close to the bulb. Difference being a 6% uvb in a single fixture T5HO puts you at a distance of about 9 inches for basking to get a 3UVI. So the cham is much farther away and a safer distance for having a heat fixture as well.

Here is the video on UVB as well.

Yeah her basking spot is pretty close to the lamps. maybe 6-7 inches. Shes also outside A LOT. I try to make it daily but sometimes the weathers bad so I dont. I take her out if its like above 75 degrees.

Yeah her basking spot is pretty close to the lamps. maybe 6-7 inches. Shes also outside A LOT. I try to make it daily but sometimes the weathers bad so I dont. I take her out if its like above 75 degrees.
Honestly I think you just got lucky since you put the basking up high and because of the fixture type it was reflecting more down. Then you also take her out for real sun.

I take my boy out as long as it is full sun and over 63 degrees here. It is much warmer in full sun and no breeze. The climate I live in on the coast of northern California I rarely see temps over 70 f. 55-65 is our year round norm. In full sun it easily gets 10 degrees hotter though. I have tested it with a wired thermometer.

Honestly I think you just got lucky since you put the basking up high and because of the fixture type it was reflecting more down. Then you also take her out for real sun.

I take my boy out as long as it is full sun and over 63 degrees here. It is much warmer in full sun and no breeze. The climate I live in on the coast of northern California I rarely see temps over 70 f. 55-65 is our year round norm. In full sun it easily gets 10 degrees hotter though. I have tested it with a wired thermometer.
Sometimes its quite cold (maybe 50-60) where I live but still sunny. I still take her out then. In other cases when its like 30-40 and sunny she just stays inside but gets the sun through the glass. (although I heard somewhere that uvb is useless through glass)

Sometimes its quite cold (maybe 50-60) where I live but still sunny. I still take her out then. In other cases when its like 30-40 and sunny she just stays inside but gets the sun through the glass. (although I heard somewhere that uvb is useless through glass)
Yeah I do not take him out if it is below 60. Too much of a chill then with the ocean. And no UVB does not penetrate glass or anything like it.

Back
Top Bottom