Common chameleon....

They do a variety of colors with basically the same pattern...eh can be very green, dark brown, beige/yellowish, etc. The females get spots when they are gravid. The babies could change to the various colors too.

They are really pretty!
I liked their somewhat simple colors and patterns...and they almost all had calm gentle natures too. I kept some of the adults in 1.1 pairs except when the females were gravid....and they seemed fine. I think it's because they only reproduce once a year as a rule that they would get along the rest of the year.

It's protected by the European market I think.
IDK, it's got quite a range outside of Europe (Middle East, N. Africa...). And if they're relatively fecund and easy to breed, I would think they'd be more popular—unless it's a low demand or desirability issue. Definitely not among the "Big 3" (Veiled, Panther & Jackson's) but IDK if they're in the top 5 or even top 10... :unsure: Even goggling Chamaeleo chamaeleon for sale, I don't find any on the first page (except for some art on Etsy, but no live critters).

Was it difficult to find or obtain yours?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_chameleon#Distribution
Distribution
In Europe, it is only autochthonous [I love it when I have to look up a word!] to the Iberian Peninsula: southern Spain and Portugal,[3][4] Cyprus and the Greek island of Crete. Nevertheless, it has been successfully introduced into other Greek islands, Canary islands and Malta. In Malta, Jesuit priests are thought to have introduced this species around 1880 in a small private garden in St. Julian's.[5] Since then, this species seems to have flourished and spread across the island, with sightings being reported in Gozo, Malta's sister island.[6] The species was introduced to Sicily in the early 19th century but its current presence has not been confirmed. A small introduced population is reported to be present in Apulia in southeastern Italy.

In North Africa and the Middle East, it occurs in Morocco, Algeria, Tunisia, Libya, Egypt,[7] Israel, Palestine, Jordan, Western Sahara, Saudi Arabia, Yemen, Turkey, Lebanon, Syria, Iraq, and Iran. In Greece the species is now only found on the island of Samos, having disappeared from the other islands in recent years. Conservation efforts on Samos are being led by the Archipelagos Institute of Marine Conservation to preserve the remaining populations, but the species is not currently evaluated under the IUCN redlist.[8]

Conservation and threats
While the species is common throughout most of its range, it is threatened locally by habitat loss, principally through urban development, the intensification of agriculture, predation by domestic animals, illegal collection for the pet trade, and roadkill mortality. Wildfires constitute a threat in Turkey.

DSC_6017_00001.jpg
DSC_6178_00001.jpg
DSC_6196_00001.jpg
DSC_6256_00001.jpg
DSC_9511_00001.jpg
DSC_9514_00001.jpg
DSC_9545_00001.jpg
DSC_9554_00001.jpg
DSC_9673_00001.jpg
DSC_9763_00001.jpg

Back
Top Bottom