Colour question

vangarret2000

I saw someone that said they bred a male blue bar ambilobe panther with a female red bar ambilobe panther. I was wondering what would happen to the offsprings colors? Would they take characteristics for either red or blue bar Or would they get a whole new look? Or would the cross just muddy up or make their colours not as nice?

Okay what I first wrote was totally wrong.

The problem with this question is that I dont think anyone knows which is the dominant gene/allele Red bars or Blue bars. If you have a 100% Red bar (homozygous dominant) mated with a 100% blue bar (homozygous recessive) and red bars are the dominant allele, you'd have 100% red barred offspring.

Breeders do this all the time, you get a mix of red bars and blue bars in the offspring, both equally nice. They're still Ambilobes, so it wouldn't degrade the quality of the animals in any way. In some cases offspring can even have both colors in their bars, which gives the look of them having purple bars (which is pretty neat.)

Breeders do this all the time, you get a mix of red bars and blue bars in the offspring, both equally nice. They're still Ambilobes, so it wouldn't degrade the quality of the animals in any way. In some cases offspring can even have both colors in their bars, which gives the look of them having purple bars (which is pretty neat.)
That's what I thought at first but I though there had to be a dominant and recessive allele. So there is no dominant color? This is an interesting question

That's what I thought at first but I though there had to be a dominant and recessive allele. So there is no dominant color? This is an interesting question

Must admit, I have no idea. I don't think anyone has looked into it, at least not that I'm aware. But even if one is more dominant than another you'd still get a mix within a clutch. Especially when you're talking about a clutch of 30-50 eggs, the numbers are in your favor to get a few of each! Whether it leans more heavily towards red bars or blue, I don't know.

Back
Top Bottom