Colored plant grow light in same room as chams?

ItsMike64

Established Member
Hi everyone!

So in my cham room is also where I keep my plants, as chameleon keeping has turned me into a hardcore botanist and I am collecting far too many plants to keep up with. Across from my chams I have a shelf and wanted to get a grow light to put on it, but I’m wondering if that would or wouldn’t be safe…I have a sansi in both of my enclosures but the grow light im looking at for my shelving has colored led red or blue options. It’s about 5’ across the room from the chams. It would be on a timer the same times as them so it wouldn’t ever be on at night. Do you guys think this would be okay or would it strain their little turrets?

Thanks!

Hello! I cannot help you in your questioning about grow lights. But I did want to say I find it so cool you have become a hardcore botanist in your chameleon keeping. I think it is one of the most fascinating things about the chameleon hobby. There are so many other areas to branch off into. Whether it be with plants, bug farming, or even carpentry with diy builds! Anyway, that's my very unhelpful 2 cents.

Hi everyone!

So in my cham room is also where I keep my plants, as chameleon keeping has turned me into a hardcore botanist and I am collecting far too many plants to keep up with. Across from my chams I have a shelf and wanted to get a grow light to put on it, but I’m wondering if that would or wouldn’t be safe…I have a sansi in both of my enclosures but the grow light im looking at for my shelving has colored led red or blue options. It’s about 5’ across the room from the chams. It would be on a timer the same times as them so it wouldn’t ever be on at night. Do you guys think this would be okay or would it strain their little turrets?

Thanks!
I’m no light doctor, but what you described sounds like no problem.

Hello! I cannot help you in your questioning about grow lights. But I did want to say I find it so cool you have become a hardcore botanist in your chameleon keeping. I think it is one of the most fascinating things about the chameleon hobby. There are so many other areas to branch off into. Whether it be with plants, bug farming, or even carpentry with diy builds! Anyway, that's my very unhelpful 2 cents.
Thank you :) You have a really great point! It’s definitely interesting how the cham keeping hobby can open people into a whole world of other things. I definitely will not be bug farming lmao!! And I have the handiness of a plastic spoon, but at least I don’t kill plants! 😂

I was wondering about that too, my daughter wanted to give me a led grow light with blue and red leds. I ordered a sunblaster T5ho instead.

Blue light can also be an issue....for the parietal (third) eye when used on the chamel one cage IMHO. The parietal eye works in green and blue light from what I've read.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/agricultural-and-biological-sciences/parietal-eye
"there is a chromatic antagonism in a given cell. Depending on the relative intensities of green and blue light, the cGMP level rises or falls, causing the cGMP-gated channels to open or close, hence a depolarization or hyperpolarization."

I'm sure your plant light will be ok though since its across the room.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom