Colored lights

Correct me if I'm mistaken, but AFAIK, all they would detect from a CHE is possibly infrared, which they would similarly detect from any kind of heat source, and I don't know that it would be enough to disturb sleep patterns. Would they be awakened in the rainforest by the heat from other native animals? IDK.

This is a... fascinating (if slightly strange) discussion (and now I have a book to find! 😃), but TBH, in all the decades that I've kept different reptiles, it has never once occurred to me to put Christmas lights in an enclosure—day or night.

I think if I had a schedule such as that, I'd keep a reptile that was nocturnal, crepuscular, or even cathemeral (if there are any), or I'd keep the reptile in a light-proof room and set the light timers for "B-shift".

I actually mused this over when I was split between getting the beardie and different possible species of geckos (I kinda like Leachies ☺).
I don’t know if chameleons can detect infrared. I don’t think they have pit organs like boas, vipers, and pythons use to detect infrared

Completely different but chameleons have very under developed Jacobson's organs (but not completely absent) compared with other lizards and snakes due to the mode of capture of pray. Perhaps is same with this pit organ/perennial eye perhaps simply feels a warmth rather than visualize like like some boas & vipers have a 3d night vision. Pointing to the chameleons heavy reliance on full colour vision for me still a hunch or a feeling though would like to know more🧐

Correct me if I'm mistaken, but AFAIK, all they would detect from a CHE is possibly infrared, which they would similarly detect from any kind of heat source, and I don't know that it would be enough to disturb sleep patterns. Would they be awakened in the rainforest by the heat from other native animals? IDK.

So No. you are comparing the heat from an animal to the heat generated by an artificial source. The are detecting wavelengths of light. Not heat. The theory goes that a CHE produces heat through infra red waves, so it is detected. None has been proved. Now I really can't say how a che works on that level. I know there are differences in how heat is produced. For my snakes I have heat tape. This works through convection? Any way it doesn't get warm, but what is sitting on it does.

What we know for sure is they have the third eye that can interpret wavelengths of light. It helps to regulate their sleep and seasonal rhythms.
How an artificial light is "affecting the cham" is theory, as far as I know. We know enough "light" can mess it up, but as to what particular wavelengths and amounts it takes to create a change. This is unknown.

If you are asking me personally, I think animals in general are less susceptible to disrupted sleep and stress from noise and light pollution. This has been seen many time over in the wild whey major constructions, Airports in particular, that have high levels of noise and light. It was believed at first it would disrupt the native wild life. The opposite occurred. Because these areas don't allow people, the wild life flourished. The noise and light seemed to be irrelevant. The San Francisco Airport I know is one, I just don't have any article on it.

Completely different but chameleons have very under developed Jacobson's organs (but not completely absent) compared with other lizards and snakes due to the mode of capture of pray. Perhaps is same with this pit organ/perennial eye perhaps simply feels a warmth rather than visualize like like some boas & vipers have a 3d night vision. Pointing to the chameleons heavy reliance on full colour vision for me still a hunch or a feeling though would like to know more🧐

Yes it is more of a detection rather than an eye. I believe snakes have them as well. It has always caused debate in the snake world as well, Over head heating like the sun, or under tank. Turns out it depends on the type of snake. Who would have guessed. lol Old logic was to apply one rule to everybody.

Sorry... I know nothing about camera lenses.
Im PRETTY sure its a stretch idk much about either 🤣 but i found this particularly interesting

" First, even in isolation, the parietal-eye photoreceptor continues to respond to light after intense illumination, suggesting that there is a chromophore-recycling system within the cell that allows autonomous pigment regeneration, a feature absent in rods and cones. Second, there appear to be two pigments in the same cell, optimally responding to blue and green light, respectively. The green pigment when active depolarizes the cell, whereas the blue pigment when active hyperpolarizes the cell."

Last edited:
How i see it especially as the chameleon top trump in senses would be its vision i think not giving the chameleon the full spectrum too see with would be disabling somewhat the sense it has evolved to mostly rely on in capture of pray and avoiding predators.
Also the display colours in courtships leads me to believe colour means alot to chameleon

Back
Top Bottom