Color changing question

alaskachick

I have a 4 month old veiled chameleon that is recovering from early stages of MBD. We've been giving her plenty of calcium powder since seeing the vet 2 weeks ago, and gut loading the crickets better (mustard greens, carrots, broccoli). In the last week, I've noticed that her baseline coloring is much darker. Is that a sign of growing up? or stress? She becomes light green when she is eating and when she is sleeping. (I'll attempt to post pictures.) I'm wondering if this is normal or not. The other odd thing she did this week was eat like a pig! Usually she won't eat while people are standing around, but for a couple of days she would gobble up the crickets as fast as I could put them in her bowl. It was really cool! Maybe just a growth spurt??:confused:

Attachments

• dark Emily.JPG
    dark Emily.JPG
    239.7 KB · Views: 164
  • emily light.jpg
    emily light.jpg
    195.4 KB · Views: 139
Yes, please fill out the questionnaire, it will give us a better all over picture and maybe see what's going on. There are a few things that could be going on. These could be her receptive colors, if she's basking she could be dark to absorb more uvb, or could be stress.

She usually sits under the basking light, so hopefully that's all it is (trying to soak in more rays). I've ordered a new thermometer for her new Reptibreeze cage but it hasn't arrived yet. I'll grab a household thermometer and put it under the light to make sure it's warm enough. Come to think of it, she is ALWAYS under the light. Is that normal? Or do they usually roam around throughout the day?

My female is pretty lazy, just sits around moving between basking spot and at the top (other side to basking spot). Does your girl have difficulty moving? Always under the light suggests that it's not warm enough for her.
Considering your situation I also think filling in the form would be best.
P.s. Broccoli is not so good, it is high in oxalates which actually prevent Calcium absorption.

Good to know about the broccoli! It has been removed from the cricket cage. I put in a new basking bulb and it raised the temp 8 degrees. I'll see if she likes that more. I noted today that she is a lighter green on the bottom 1/2 of her body.

When my veiled chameleons sleep they turn really bright green so i'm pretty sure that's a good sign.:)

Back
Top Bottom