color changes

houzah

i know that chameleons change color depending on mood, and i know that dark means that they are stressed or not happy, i know that bright also means that they are happy or excited, it there descriptive meaning to color changes? also my main question on color is if your chameleons pattern and main colors will change as they age or if they will be about the same over time? for example my 6 month old veiled cham is a nice brown with a ton of turquoise, and green, however will his colors ever change to be mainly green or something like that??

With veileds, they change colors to show aggression or sometimes to show that they are too hot or cold. The females also change colors to show that they are gravid/non-receptive or that they are receptive. In addition to the color changes, they will use body posture to communicate to other chameleons.

Generally, once they are sexually mature, the colors they have will stay the same...except to indicate the above things.

I've done a couple of threads on this forum about colors and what they mean...you should be able to find them by using the "Search" tool in the bar on this page.

i know that chameleons change color depending on mood, and i know that dark means that they are stressed or not happy, i know that bright also means that they are happy or excited, it there descriptive meaning to color changes? also my main question on color is if your chameleons pattern and main colors will change as they age or if they will be about the same over time? for example my 6 month old veiled cham is a nice brown with a ton of turquoise, and green, however will his colors ever change to be mainly green or something like that??

Many veileds go through a sort of "brown" phase at this age. His colors will probably get greener as his hormones settle in, though it varies a lot. However, where his various stripes, spots, darker markings appear is genetically determined and they will usually show up in the same places. The range of his "main color" may change up until maturity then stabilize. The intensity of any one color can be affected by stress, health, mood, etc.

hey thank you guys a lot, how old are they usually when their hormones set in and they go through this process?

Back
Top Bottom