College with a chameleon?

I have not yet gotten my chameleon but am doing my best to plan ahead and make sure everything is perfect before I decide to bring one home. My only concern would be that I will be going to college in three years. I am worried about if it would be too difficult to have a chameleon on a college campus. I'm not worried about it not being allowed, but basically just living on campus with a chameleon, in a dorm room. If anyone has experienced this I would greatly appreciate your input! I would appreciate any opinions, I am just not sure what to do here and would like to hear anyone's opinion on the situation. Thank you all in advance!

I hate to be the spoiler, but I suspect no dorm room will allow it. I think it would be very complicating to your life. My experience is with college boys, and think a pet is the wrong thing to bring to college. It is one thing if you already have one but quite another to get one at this very exciting and changing time in your life. Wait a few years. Do your research. If you really are interested, volunteer in the repitile section of the local zoo. Enjoy your school life without worrying about what to do if you go out of town for Christmas vacation or even a weekend.

I hate to be the spoiler, but I suspect no dorm room will allow it. I think it would be very complicating to your life. My experience is with college boys, and think a pet is the wrong thing to bring to college. It is one thing if you already have one but quite another to get one at this very exciting and changing time in your life. Wait a few years. Do your research. If you really are interested, volunteer in the repitile section of the local zoo. Enjoy your school life without worrying about what to do if you go out of town for Christmas vacation or even a weekend.
Although the college I am aiming to get into allows no pets with the exception of reptiles like lizards, I have to say I agree with you and have just been hoping to find a way to figure it out haha. Thank you!

Although the college I am aiming to get into allows no pets with the exception of reptiles like lizards, I have to say I agree with you and have just been hoping to find a way to figure it out haha. Thank you!

Honestly, you will be happier without one. There is also the risk that some others in the dorm might harm your chameleon should they get a little out of control as many freshmen and women do the first time they are on their own out of their parent's control. I've heard some horror stories from my own kids about some of the nonsense that goes on in dorms. Kids that age are not yet the responsible people they eventually grow up and become.

I have not yet gotten my chameleon but am doing my best to plan ahead and make sure everything is perfect before I decide to bring one home. My only concern would be that I will be going to college in three years. I am worried about if it would be too difficult to have a chameleon on a college campus. I'm not worried about it not being allowed, but basically just living on campus with a chameleon, in a dorm room. If anyone has experienced this I would greatly appreciate your input! I would appreciate any opinions, I am just not sure what to do here and would like to hear anyone's opinion on the situation. Thank you all in advance!

It can be done and if you are respossiable and work for it you can be successful. My daughter had chameleons and a chinchilla all through college but she only lived in the dorms the first two years. The other 6 years she was in various houses and apartments that allowed pets. Her college allowed pets also. Do your research and prepare ahead of time. I recommend saving up some money too for feeders and vet bills. If you are thinking of a veiled or panther you should find my blog for new keepers helpful. https://www.chameleonforums.com/blo...-with-young-veiled-or-panther-chameleons.325/

I didn't have a chameleon in college but I did have two bearded dragons. If I did it all over again, I wouldn't have had them in college. I would have absolutely waited. People constantly wanted to see them and hold them and these were beardies who were quite content to be out and about. It was still stressful for me and pretty distracting at times. I was also constantly nervous my roomie would have friends over and they might touch or harass my beardies while I wasn't around. I have a chameleon now and he is very friendly but I wouldn't put him through a college dorm environment. Too many people in and out. I think you will also find that your first year you are going to be busy and slightly overwhelmed for a bit, not the best time to enjoy an awesome chameleon. But that's just my two cents

Sorry dude, but I knew of someone who took their chameleon to school with them and ended up getting it really sick. She got too caught up in the college life I guess I don't know. But she ended up taking it back home to nurse it back to health. My suggestion would be if you want to take it then to either get a singular dorm or an apartment. Somewhere where you can control the whole situation around your chameleon.

I can't even tell you how many posts I've seen on here where someone got a chameleon, and then started college so looked to re-home it. Can it be done? In some circumstances yes, but honestly why chance it? Life is uncertain - the college you begin may not be the college you end. You may get a chance to go overseas for a semester abroad and then what? You may also get caught up in the college life, and the chameleon may suffer for it. I began my love for reptiles in college, but didn't get one until I had graduated and was more stable and I don't regret that decision one bit.

So many opinions. . .

As a former retailer in the pet industry I would ask you two questions if you came in to the old store asking to buy a chameleon and worrying about college in three years.

1 - Why a chameleon? They are a time sink and in college I would sink my time into a lot of other things as I rack up all that college debt. If you want a chameleon that bad, wait until after college, that is assuming you have money left.

2 - If you just have to have a pet while in college, and I've met plenty of people who did, get something super low maintenance. I would then steer you away from my old chameleon displays, then past all the fancy looking snakes, away from the display Iguana, and over to the gecko cages before pointing out a leopard gecko.

They need minimum equipment to stay healthy, don't smell, only need food three days a week, their food can be purchased off of your ramen budget too. They also can live for about 15 years in the hands of a beginner, where a chameleon in the hands of a beginner might not make it three years.

Either way, good luck. Have fun storming the castle!

Back
Top Bottom