Collected this cute lil dude via a notification from the FWC, never seen this before.

MarkP6644

His eyes look as through they have an infection/abscess, but it’s bilateral and I’ve never seen anything like this. He was collected tonight, and my plan of action is as follows; I will initially start with ofloxacin eye drops 2x per day for about 3days along with metronidazole for 3days. Depending on what happens I may switch to Poly-Oph eye drops, or a terramycin ophthalmic ointment.

But again I have never seen this or treated this before, so if anyone has, please feel free to chime in!

Attachments

• A71356CA-155B-4C38-BA5A-047E9BD902C3.jpeg
    A71356CA-155B-4C38-BA5A-047E9BD902C3.jpeg
    103.4 KB · Views: 280
  • 4014E90F-B62A-44B2-86E0-5C600928BE9C.jpeg
    4014E90F-B62A-44B2-86E0-5C600928BE9C.jpeg
    841.1 KB · Views: 262
  • 295ED0B7-A50A-4785-9489-316943E26BF5.png
    295ED0B7-A50A-4785-9489-316943E26BF5.png
    3.5 MB · Views: 271
Also; I have treated numerous eye infections, as well as mandibular abscess’ and other issues. His eyes were like this when I collected him and haven’t changed (I.e. it’s not water in his eyes like chameleons do when the clean their eyes—they definitely are bothersome to him and he can barely open them and keeps them closed mostly). Also I noticed that he has some drainage from them (it didn’t look like puss, and I wasn’t able to swab enough to be able to scope it with my microscope.

Good luck with the poor little thing!
Make sure you don't handle it then handle your other critters without washing your hands thoroughly and using separate equipment for it.

Thanks! And for sure. He’s in a stowaway fold-up butterfly cage for now. Which is nice because its 2’x2’x4’, and he gets to be outside! But yeah I’ve made the mistake of not cleaning a cage thoroughly after a guy dropped of his sick female panther, and put one of my cham’s in the same cage b4 cleaning it not even thinking.

On a good note; this guy is the sweetest little thing ever! He loves attention, and doesn’t want to get off of me. He’s been on my should all morning, and still is haha. My main dude, my panther who I hold ever day, is up on his fake bamboo perch eyeing me and this lil guy, he’s jealous for sure! Haha

Also; I have treated numerous eye infections, as well as mandibular abscess’ and other issues. His eyes were like this when I collected him and haven’t changed (I.e. it’s not water in his eyes like chameleons do when the clean their eyes—they definitely are bothersome to him and he can barely open them and keeps them closed mostly). Also I noticed that he has some drainage from them (it didn’t look like puss, and I wasn’t able to swab enough to be able to scope it with my microscope.

I lied. He actually has been keeping his eyes open for the most part, he may have been tired. He also ate...A LOT! lol. Still does blink and close them a bit, but it looks like they don’t really bother him as much as I origanally thought

Don't forget it needs proper temperatures and UVB so don't keep it out of the cage too long. When it's already having a health issue it's important to make sure the husbandry is right to help it recover.

Back
Top Bottom