Closing one eye and rubbing it

AmberFarrar

Chameleon Info:
Al Capone
  • Your Chameleon - Veiled, male, two years old, had him since he was 2 months old.
  • Handling - He lets me hold him about once a week.
  • Feeding - I feed him wax worms mostly, with an occasional meal worm or cricket (gutloaded with carrots and spinach). He eats about 20/week, sometimes more if he is molting. (I would love to know how you get your veiled chams to eat fruits and veggies!! Mine is a princess who only wants juicy worms!)
  • Supplements - I dust with ZooMed Reptivite without D3 every other feeding, and ExoTerra Calcium on the vitamin off-week.
  • Watering - I use a ReptiRain that mists for 15 seconds every 6 hours, and I hand spray his cage 2x a day for 30+ seconds. I also have a shallow leaf "bowl" that is suction cupped to his wall that he drinks out of regularly.
  • Fecal Description - He was tested for parasites a year ago; negative. The consistency is normal, and it is brown and white in color.
  • History - No history of problems.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Combo- 18 L x 18 W x 24 H
  • Lighting - All Living Things 18" UVB Slimline, 15W Tropical, 25 UVB; ExoTerra Light dome UV lamp with a Grreat Choice Daytime incandescent heat bulb, 60W; 12 hours on, 12 hours off
  • Temperature - 85 in his basking spot, 65-70 on the floor. Lowest overnight is 60. Measured with All Living Things thermometer.
  • Humidity - 80-90% during mistings. 50-60% throughout the day is normal for his cage. I measure with All Living Things hygrometer.
  • Plants - Dracaena and another plant. Not sure what it is called. (see attached picture)
  • Placement - Cage is located in a very-low traffic area, no fans, one vent across the room. Height is approximately 6 feet.
  • Location - Saint Louis, Missouri.

Current Problem - His eye has been closed for a few days. He can open it when it's feeding time, but just barely. He is constantly rubbing it against a vine or squeezing it shut. He did molt recently (see attached picture). I gave him a 30 minute long shower to see if that would help; maybe he has something in it. There doesn't seem to be a hydration issue, fecal color is normal and I see him drink from his "bowl" and from leaves. He is active, eats, and still wants to come out and "play." He's sleeping now. Hopefully the shower helps and his eye will open up in the morning. Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated!
If this doesn't clear up soon, I will take him to the vet. I haven't taken him to the vet up here in Saint Louis, Clarkson-Wilson Vet Clinic, the last one he saw was at Cornerstone Vet Hospital in Joplin, MO. I live about 45 minutes away from the exotic pet vet; I am worried about the drive over there. Anyone have any advice for transporting him to and from? He was so small the last time that he fit in a Tupperware container with holes punched out and a damp paper towel.
image1.JPG

image2.JPG

It looks like he may have an abscess between the eyes - the round "pimple" in his forehead. The infection is probably affecting his eyes too. He'll need to see a vet, have the abscess cleaned out, and get antibiotics.

Edit: Waxworms are high in fat and low in nutrients. I would suggest switching his diet to crickets and superworms with only the occasional waxworm as a treat. You can mix in hornworms, too. A better balanced diet will help him fight this infection.

Yikes! Thanks Lathis!

I'll grab him some superworms and a few crickets in the morning. I'll gutload them with greens and carrots before I feed him to help get some extra nutrients in him. My pet store doesn't carry hornworms though. Have you ever ordered them offline? Maybe I should try it!

Great Lakes Hornworms is a great place to order. Lindas Gone Buggie also has lots of great bugs and some variety packs.

His cage seems rather small for an adult male veiled. Their minimum cage size is 2ftx2ftx4ft. Btw you may have some issues weaning him off the wax worms, they are incredibly addictive for chams. So I wouldn't panic if he refuses to eat anything the first few days.

Lathis- Both of his eyes are completely open as of this morning! I'm going to start giving him showers more regularly now.
He has an appointment for the vet on Friday to see if that is indeed an infection.

Andee- He seems to be doing great in the cage he is currently in. I am planning on upgrading soon, I just haven't found one that I like. Still researching. I am leaning towards a screened-in cage, but I don't want to disrupt the humidity levels that he is used to. I'll have to find some ideas on how to keep his levels stable.

wodersorel- Well, he doesn't feed daily. I will ask the vet what he thinks about it! Maybe I should be giving him calcium every day. He does have a UVB light that gets a new bulb every 6 months, so I know he is producing calcium regularly.

That's good news! Let us know what the vet says, and hopefully his issues can be cleared up!

Back
Top Bottom