Closing one eye all the time

Shaunny

Ok so up until recently Trevor has been so much happier and I'm seeing so may more colours that I used too.

The thing is is he has had one of his eyes closed for the last 2 day. He does open it and tends too look around as normal but he will then close it again. It is really sunken when closed too.

I have changed from spraying every time the mistking goes off too a home made rain dome. I mist in the morning and evening still. He had a poo earlier when I had him in the shower for nearly half and hour which was white so the dome is working better. I watched him closely and he seemed to be cleaning the one that stays open but not so much the closes one.

What should I do next? Vets? Or another few days of a long shower?

Just been watching him and he seems to be climbing around his cage ok. Sometimes he has his eye closes and others open....

Normal eye

I have a panther that has a similar issue. He keeps his right eye closed. He has seen the vet twice and they can't find anything wrong with his eye. We have even tried flushing w saline and two rounds of antibiotic eye drops. He has had blood work and fecal testing that are all normal. I have tried long mistings and showers and it never seems to improve. The last vet finally said maybe he has some systemic issue that we can't find yet that is causing him to close his eye.

I really don't know. But I'm spending lots of money at the vet and getting no answers. We even tried the vitamin A route and he did not improve.

I hope your guy gets better and you can figure it out. It is very frustrating for us. He has had the eye issue for several months now. And his previous owner stated that he has had it off and on for a long time. She took him to the vet for it and they gave him a vitamin A shot but it didn't help.

Mmmmm interesting. I'll see how it goes over the next few days. It's not like he is struggling with it which is odd. He is however not acting as normal in terms of cleaning it like he does his other eye.

He has possibly got man boobs (can't remember the real name) which I'm keeping an eye on and have asked questions about it. The response seem that know one knows much about it, what causes it and how to treat it. I do everything that everyone has ever said as to proper care and husbandry so it's frustrating in that respect. He came out earlier before I put him in the shower and you'd think there was nothing wrong....put him on his plant and he is climbing all over it. Down to the floor and all over the sofa ect.

Could it have anything to so with the arcadia T5 12%?

He has never been a big eater since about 6-8 months old so it's been a struggle to supplement right when he may only have 1 or 2 feeders a week (adult locusts, adult Dubai's, full grown silk worms) so this may be the cause as I have read many posts that it could be vitamin A related

I too am in the same situation as pigglett. I've also been to the vet several times over the last 9 months and tried several rounds of two different antibiotics. Vet said it's probably just something he will have to live with. I hope the same is not the case for you. I would continue with the long showers and possibly try flushing the eye with sterile saline solution, but if it does not get better I'd take him to the vet. I've seen many people with eye issues say it clears up with meds from the vet so it's worth a try. My vet said that most chams respond to meds and that mine just seems to be one of the few he sees that does not. Good luck!

Pigglett, I feel your pain. This has been nothing but frustration since it began. I hope it gets better for your little guy!

How do I go about flushing it when he instantly shuts his eyes when he come into contact with water? Do I just use a syringe and gently squirt it into his eye when open?

Ok, since I've done this a bunch and explained it to several members, below is the technique taught to me by both my vet and a senior member on the forums. Sorry it's long-winded. I'm copying it from another post. (Thinking of making this a blog post for everyone in this situation).

First, you want to use a sterile saline solution specifically for eyes, like contact solution. You will see many such solutions contain many chemicals and ingredients. You want one with the least amount of stuff in it if possible. Avoid anything with the chemical: thimerosal. I was told a good rule of thumb is that when you open the box, if the bottle has a red cap it is not safe for in-eye use, but if it has a white cap it is safe to use in the eye. I'm not sure where you are located, but I'm in the US and the one I got is from Costco (Kirkland brand). It was recommended to me by another forum member who has dealt with chameleon eye issues in the past. You want a squeeze bottle with a small opening as you will be squirting a stream of liquid fairly forcefully into the eye.

The technique:
(If you can make this a two person operation it will work better. One person holds the cham, the other squirts) While we have tried doing this with the chameleon standing upright, it works better to turn the chameleon on his side. He will hate this. (Some wrap the cham in a towel to make this easier and keep them from squirming. We don't since the towel freaks Egon out even more). *Tip - you want to hold the chameleon firmly enough to disable most squirming but not so hard you are squishing him. I try to make a firm "cage" with my fingers but I don't necessarily bear down on his body too much.

With the chameleon on his side and the eye facing up at you, squirt a firm stream of liquid into the eye. You must be more firm than you would think as the stream must fill/inflate the skin of the eye turret. This is how my vet does it and it is the only way to be effective. If the turret does not inflate then there is really not enough liquid getting under the skin to flush the eye. The stream may even come out the chameleon's nostril and this is ok. I used to think it was bad, but my vet corrected me, saying this is helping to clear anything out of the nasolacrimal duct (which would occur if there was an infection). The squirt should last for a second or two. You can stop once the turret inflates (it will go right back down). We usually repeat once so that we get two good squirts in. Allow him to stand upright as soon as you are done since the side position is very uncomfortable for them. We were told to do this as often as once a day for a week, but even one or two treatments may help if it is just debris.

Also, I like to monitor him for a few minutes after treatment just to make sure there are not complications like choking on the liquid. This has never been an issue, but I think it's good practice.

As I mentioned. If this does not get better within the week I'd see a vet.

How do I go about flushing it when he instantly shuts his eyes when he come into contact with water? Do I just use a syringe and gently squirt it into his eye when open?

To answer your question, yes, I think a syringe would work, but it would probably be best to sterilize it each time which might be a pain. The sterile bottle of contact solution will remain cleaner than a syringe that must be cleaned and re-used each time. You don't want to be adding any new irritants or bacteria from a non-sterile solution.

Also, it is easier to wait for the eye to open before shooting the stream in. Your cham may get wise to this and close his eye when he sees you coming.

My cham is now like one of those baby dolls. As soon as you turn him on his side his eye closes. As soon as he's upright his eye opens! :p

Lol funny old things ain't they. I'll look into getting some after work tomorrow. I'll go to the pharmacy and make sure I get the one with less in it and without what you mentioned. Hopefully it shouldn't be a problem as when he is on me he opens his eye

Thank you for the help I'll keep you updated.

Back
Top Bottom