Closing eyes ??

Char.claugh

I’ve been away for the weekend and left my Cham with a family member. He hasn’t ate the whole time and was in the living room which leads me to believe he might now have had much sleep. He was grey when I got him back so he was obviously stressed but he climbed on my head and turned his normal lime green. In the car on the way home he started closing his eyes and everything I’ve seen about closed eyes has been bad so just want to see if it could be normal... when he was falling asleep he was on my head in the car and it was pretty dark in the top of the car and it was 1-1/2 hours before his bedtime. He’s never fell asleep outside his tank so I got a big scare and it’s worth sharing that I fed him a few dubia roaches (his first time trying them) when I got him home as I guessed he’d be hungry and he missed the first one, could it be because it’s his first time seeing the bug or could this be an eye problem ??

I dont think its an eye problem. Give it a day and a few misting, he may just be tired. Closed eyes are a problem, if they can not open them, due to dehydration or infection as an example. Plus he eating, thats always a good sign :)

You said..."In the car on the way home he started closing his eyes and everything I’ve seen about closed eyes has been bad so just want to see if it could be normal... when he was falling asleep he was on my head in the car and it was pretty dark in the top of the car"...what was the temperature in the car? If it was cooler than his cage and darker as well then that might explain why he fell asleep.

You said..."In the car on the way home he started closing his eyes and everything I’ve seen about closed eyes has been bad so just want to see if it could be normal... when he was falling asleep he was on my head in the car and it was pretty dark in the top of the car"...what was the temperature in the car? If it was cooler than his cage and darker as well then that might explain why he fell asleep.
It wasn’t cold but definitely not as warm as his tank so I think he was just falling asleep. The thing that worried me more was he shot his tongue out too short to catch his dubia roach, I was thinking it might have been because he’d never had one before and Just didn’t know how flat they were or something stupid like that ? The only time he’s missed before this was if the bugs moved out the way.

I’ve been away for the weekend and left my Cham with a family member. He hasn’t ate the whole time and was in the living room which leads me to believe he might no[t] have had much sleep. He was grey when I got him back so he was obviously stressed ....
General relocation stress could explain it.

What kind of environment was this? Any children or pets (or anyone) who might have stressed him by watching him a lot? (Suggested by comment above that he might not have gotten much sleep in the living room).

I'd give him a few days to settle back in to what he's used to, then update us on the situation.

It wasn’t cold but definitely not as warm as his tank so I think he was just falling asleep. The thing that worried me more was he shot his tongue out too short to catch his dubia roach, I was thinking it might have been because he’d never had one before and Just didn’t know how flat they were or something stupid like that ? The only time he’s missed before this was if the bugs moved out the way.
I think he was just falling asleep too. For the tongue...has it happened again since?

General relocation stress could explain it.

What kind of environment was this? Any children or pets (or anyone) who might have stressed him by watching him a lot? (Suggested by comment above that he might not have gotten much sleep in the living room).

I'd give him a few days to settle back in to what he's used to, then update us on the situation.
My dog was there and he doesn’t like her at all and also I think because he was very low down in quite a busy area he was very stressed. When I dropped him off I was under the impression he’d be on a nightstand in a bedroom which would have been better but apparently his tank didn’t fit on it.

My cham literally cant keep his little eyes open if he's tired... he will pass out anywhere. If you think he didnt get proper sleep, that might be the issue; coupled with a new environment which maybe left him stressed and dehydrated. Just watch him the next couple days...

Back
Top Bottom