Closed eyes and not moving much

loc

I noticed the past few days his eyes seemed to be a bit sunken but he was still acting the same. Yesterday I went to feed him and he wouldn’t even go near the crickets. I picked him up and he hissed but didn’t really try to get away as he normally would. He licked up some water after I took him out and he came around a lot. So I figured he hasn’t been drinking enough.... but this morning he was still in the same spot and he was there with his eyes closed. I rarely take him out but when I do he doesn’t enjoy it and he won’t stay still and he tries to run away. But when I took him out this morning he barely moved.

Was wondering what caused this or what I could do to help him? Should I try taking him to the vet?

Attachments

• C1493AA0-37CB-4BF2-9764-95E2084C8034.jpeg
    C1493AA0-37CB-4BF2-9764-95E2084C8034.jpeg
    215.1 KB · Views: 143
I noticed the past few days his eyes seemed to be a bit sunken but he was still acting the same. Yesterday I went to feed him and he wouldn’t even go near the crickets. I picked him up and he hissed but didn’t really try to get away as he normally would. He licked up some water after I took him out and he came around a lot. So I figured he hasn’t been drinking enough.... but this morning he was still in the same spot and he was there with his eyes closed. I rarely take him out but when I do he doesn’t enjoy it and he won’t stay still and he tries to run away. But when I took him out this morning he barely moved.

Was wondering what caused this or what I could do to help him? Should I try taking him to the vet?
Something is very wrong and yes you need a reptile vet. Not a regular vet... You need a vet that actually works with reptiles and understands them.

Then we can do a husbandry review to ensure you got all the correct information for his care and enclosure set up.

If you tell us where you're located we can try and help find a reputable exotics vet for you. I agree he needs vet treatment immediately. Once they start acting like that, they go downhill very fast :(

At the vet now. There’s one who specializes in reptiles there. I will keep you both posted and I hope to figure out what caused him to be like this

So... she said that he is extremely dehydrated... and he may have a respiratory infection or parasites.

He has antibiotics for every 48 hours for 3 weeks.

And we are doing a fecal tomorrow. Along with potentially more test.

She also told me to blend crickets with water and to syringe feed him to help rehydrate him and to get him to eat.

So... she said that he is extremely dehydrated... and he may have a respiratory infection or parasites.

He has antibiotics for every 48 hours for 3 weeks.

And we are doing a fecal tomorrow. Along with potentially more test.

She also told me to blend crickets with water and to syringe feed him to help rehydrate him and to get him to eat.
Ok you need to be very careful with force feeding though. Please read this to see how and where your aiming in the mouth. Their airway is in the front and you can aspirate them if you put it in the wrong spot. http://www.muchadoaboutchameleons.com/2014/05/how-to-give-different-medicines.html

Can you please fill out this form with detail and provide pictures of the enclosure including the lighting on top? Copy paste the form into your reply.

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:

1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Thanks, the vet tried to show me how to properly do it but it is definitely challenging, I will look into the site before I try.

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
Veiled chameleon, male, about a year old, has been in my care for 11 months
Not very often, about once every two weeks when I clean his cage or sometimes to feed him.
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
Crickets and occasionally silkworms. I feed 5-8 crickets once every second day. (I feed less crickets if I include silkworms) To gut-load I usually give them some apple or vegetables and I also have some pre-made cubes that I bought from the pet store recently. (Definitely in need of advice on the gut-loading aspect.)

Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?

I have exo terra calcium, calcium +D3 and multi vitamin. I use the calcium daily... the calcium with D3 and the multivitamin once every two weeks during separate feedings over 2 days.
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
I use an exo terra mister. I mist 3 times a day for 2 minutes and I spray a little water around in between mistings. I very rarely see him drinking.

Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?

Brown but a bit softer than usual and he also hasn’t been pooping as often. He has not yet been tested but he will be tomorrow.
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
I don’t have much information as I just got him from a pet store.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
Screen, it is a built cage but it is the same dimensions as the XL mesh cage. 4ft tall and 2ft wide I believe.
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
I have Zoo med reptisun 5.0 uvb.. and I also use a zoomed heat bulb (The smaller uvb bulb that is in with the heat bulb is not in use and doesn’t get turned on.)
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
Near the cage floor ranges from 70°-75° while the basking spot is 80°-85°, the lowest overnight temp is around 75°... I measure these with a thermometer at the basking spot and near the bottom of the cage.
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
Humidity usually stays around 35%-40% I maintain it by misting and including live plants.. I also have a shower curtain on a the outside of a side of the cage to help with humidity. To measure it I have a hygrometer.

Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?

I currently have 2 live plants. I have a corn plant and the other one I am unsure of the name but I had purchased it at a reptile store.
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
It is in a bedroom, not near any fans or vents and it is a low traffic room. About 4ft as the bottom of the cage is just on the floor.
Eastern Canada

Closed eyes and dehydration. Possibility of respiratory or parasite issues.
--------------

Attachments

• BF7B5AC9-EE9E-4E35-AA2F-A607890C1EAB.jpeg
    BF7B5AC9-EE9E-4E35-AA2F-A607890C1EAB.jpeg
    305.6 KB · Views: 113
  • 2B50491D-FAD3-4695-B983-B3652D1A8B15.jpeg
    2B50491D-FAD3-4695-B983-B3652D1A8B15.jpeg
    270.7 KB · Views: 102
  • 537C9112-12F7-4042-BE57-79423E26838C.jpeg
    537C9112-12F7-4042-BE57-79423E26838C.jpeg
    310.4 KB · Views: 103
You said..."So... she said that he is extremely dehydrated"... Based on his eye being sunken in or what? What color are the urates?

You said...."he may have a respiratory infection or parasites"...is he gaping? Stringy saliva? Wheezing?

You said..."He has antibiotics for every 48 hours for 3 weeks"... What antibiotic?

You said..."And we are doing a fecal tomorrow. Along with potentially more test"...so he's pooping? I would use bigger rocks on the tops of the plant soil.

You said..."She also told me to blend crickets with water and to syringe feed him to help rehydrate him and to get him to eat"...@beman has already talked about this.
This might help if you decide to do that...
https://www.adcham.com/html/husbandry/bug-juice.html

@loc See my feedback in bold. Please let me know what questions you have and respond to my questions.

Veiled chameleon, male, about a year old, has been in my care for 11 months

Not very often, about once every two weeks when I clean his cage or sometimes to feed him.

Crickets and occasionally silkworms. I feed 5-8 crickets once every second day. (I feed less crickets if I include silkworms) To gut-load I usually give them some apple or vegetables and I also have some pre-made cubes that I bought from the pet store recently. (Definitely in need of advice on the gut-loading aspect.) See gutloading image below. When exactly did he go off food?

Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?

I have exo terra calcium, calcium +D3 and multi vitamin. I use the calcium daily... the calcium with D3 and the multivitamin once every two weeks during separate feedings over 2 days. Ok are you using all exo terra supplements? If so your giving too much D3. The exo terra multivitamin has D3 in it. So you would drop the Calcium with D3 totally. Use the multi 2 times a months say the 1st and the 15th. Then at all other feedings you would use the exo terra calcium. If your not using all exo terra please post pics of the three supplements so I can confirm that they are being used correctly.

I use an exo terra mister. I mist 3 times a day for 2 minutes and I spray a little water around in between mistings. I very rarely see him drinking.

Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?

Brown but a bit softer than usual and he also hasn’t been pooping as often. He has not yet been tested but he will be tomorrow.

I don’t have much information as I just got him from a pet store.

Cage Info:

Screen, it is a built cage but it is the same dimensions as the XL mesh cage. 4ft tall and 2ft wide I believe. Talk to me about this cage... Did you seal the wood? What kind of wood is it? How long has he been in this enclosure? Is the screen aluminum window screen or something else?

I have Zoo med reptisun 5.0 uvb.. and I also use a zoomed heat bulb (The smaller uvb bulb that is in with the heat bulb is not in use and doesn’t get turned on.) The UVB bulb is a T5 fixture or a T8? This is important. Also these bulbs should be replaced every 6-9 months.

Near the cage floor ranges from 70°-75° while the basking spot is 80°-85°, the lowest overnight temp is around 75°... I measure these with a thermometer at the basking spot and near the bottom of the cage. night time temp needs to drop more you want between 60-70 at night. They need the temp reduction.

Humidity usually stays around 35%-40% I maintain it by misting and including live plants.. I also have a shower curtain on a the outside of a side of the cage to help with humidity. To measure it I have a hygrometer. This is fine for a Veiled for daytime.

Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?

I currently have 2 live plants. I have a corn plant and the other one I am unsure of the name but I had purchased it at a reptile store. Plants look like they are struggling. You want to pull all the fake plants out. You can hook them to the outside of the cage to provide cover but with a Veiled these are dangerous because they eat their plants. Becomes an impaction risk. Here is a link to safe cham plants use the Veiled tested ones https://chameleonacademy.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/Chameleon-Plants-122819.pdf

It is in a bedroom, not near any fans or vents and it is a low traffic room. About 4ft as the bottom of the cage is just on the floor.

Eastern Canada

Closed eyes and dehydration. Possibility of respiratory or parasite issues.

chameleon-gutload.jpg
chameleon-food(1).jpg

Back
Top Bottom