Climbing to the top of cage

So, when I first got my cham Walker, he climbed to the very top of his cage. Then, he only did it for maybe 30 seconds at a time. Well, now I've had him for a little over two weeks, and he's been basking up there, you could say, for quite a while. The first time he did it today, he was up there for maybe 10 minutes. He'd move out of the light when he needed to cool off. I tried to lure him down with food, but that didn't work. He eventually came down, so I decided to take a short walk. When I came back, he was up there. I came back from the walk around 3:30, it's 4:20 right now. I don't see anything wrong with him, like burns and etc. And I don't want to grab him and make him get down. He can't directly touch the light, but he's hanging right under it.
20170416_161633.jpg

Mine did this from when i got him. I added branches and plants, but he still did this regularly. I have him on a free range now and he explores every inch of it that he can. If there were screens next to it he'd probably still climb them. I think lack of hiding and space can contribute a lot, but it seems like some chams are just very active and will go wherever they can. If that is a heat lamp, raise it up. He will burn himself.

Haha my veiled chameleon Vincent would do this as a baby. He by nature isn't very friendly, and is absolutely terrified of my hand. (I spent a long time trying to tame him, but to no avail) Its just his personality ^-^. Whenever he would hang under his light, I would stick my hand in there and move it close to him. He'd quickly clamber away. After awhile whenever i'd catch him in the act, he'd look at me real guilty and get down. He now doesnt do it at all. Though you may want to check/ raise the temperature of his basking spot, and see if that solves it.

Haha my veiled chameleon Vincent would do this as a baby. He by nature isn't very friendly, and is absolutely terrified of my hand. (I spent a long time trying to tame him, but to no avail) Its just his personality ^-^. Whenever he would hang under his light, I would stick my hand in there and move it close to him. He'd quickly clamber away. After awhile whenever i'd catch him in the act, he'd look at me real guilty and get down. He now doesnt do it at all. Though you may want to check/ raise the temperature of his basking spot, and see if that solves it.
I try to check it often, but Walker like to climb on wherever I set the temperature prob. He climbed down a while ago. Sort of sadly, he isn't afraid of my hand anymore, so I can't just shoo him down by holding my hand by him. He associates my hand with food, so he thinks it's a good thing when I put my hand by him.

My cham did this for weeks when I first got him. You need to be sure that the spot under the lamp where is hanging from is not above the safe basking temp!!!

full

He should stop as he gets older and used to his surroundings. Then adjust the basking temp back so the highest point he goes is correct.

My cham did this for weeks when I first got him. You need to be sure that the spot under the lamp where is hanging from is not above the safe basking temp!!!

full

He should stop as he gets older and used to his surroundings. Then adjust the basking temp back so the highest point he goes is correct.
Thank you. I did. Heck, it's always been at the right temp, but I guess he likes to be warmer?

Back
Top Bottom