Clicking sound?

Now he just started to open his mouth, how do you see if they breath with ther mouth or if they have a open mouth just becuase they are to hot?

A clicking sound generally means that they are breathing through a blockage of mucus or bubbles, which would mean there is a respiratory infection. Having the mouth open while this is going on could be confirmation.

Try to get the cham to gape and see if you see a cloud of tiny bubbles deep in the throat.

What are your temps?

Please answer the questions below from the healthy forum "how to ask for help":

Here is some recommended information to include when asking for help in the health clinic forum. By providing this information, you will receive more accurate and beneficial responses. It might not be necessary to answer all these questions, but the more you provide the better. Please remember that even the most knowledgeable person can only guess at what your problem may be. Only an experienced reptile veterinarian who can directly examine your animal can give a true diagnosis of your chameleon's health.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
Location - Where are you geographically located?

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Current Problem - The current problem that you are concerned about.

Pictures are helpful

I will try to see if he have any bubbles in his throat.

Cage Info:

* Cage Type - I have a two screened glass cage and the demension are 50*50*70. But my chameleon is only three months old now, so he will get a bigger cage soon.
* Lighting - I use a Reptil glo 5,0 UV lamp and a 60watt bulb.I have a timer on both lights, they turn on 9am and turns off 10pm.
* Temperature - I measure the temperature with a termometer that shows the humidity too. The lowest tempeerature over night is 70 degrees. During the day the temperature is 77 degrees. The baskin spot is between 90-95 degrees.
* Humidity - My humidity levels are often between 50-60%, but sometimes it's 70% and sometimes even 40%. I always mist in the cage, planty times a day, because I have a two screen cage and the rest of it is glass.
* Plants - I had a Photos plant before but i replaced it with one Hibiscus and on shefflera today.
* Placement - My cage is in a warm room in to a corner on a table. My cage is 70cm in hights but it stands on a table so the top of the cage is 117cm over the floor.
* Location - in south Sweden.

Chameleon Info:

* Your Chameleon -My chameleon is abouth three month and it has been under my care for 1month. Its a male Yemen Chameleon.
* Handling - It depends, maybe 2-4 times a week.
* Feeding - Im feeding my chameleon whith silk worms and crickets. He ate abot 12 crickets a day and 4 silkworms, but now he only eats 5-6 crickets and 2 silkworms. Im gut loading my crickets and silkeworms with apples, carrots, dog food, planty of various greens.
* Supplements - I have a Terravit JBL (Multivitamins and trace elements for terrarium animals) and also Kalcium that i bought from the reptile store and kalcium D3. I always feed him with the vitamines one day then the other with Kalcium and then with vitamines and so on.
* Watering -I mist a couple of times a day, then i miste the whole cage and both the plants. I have seen him drink once. I also have a dripper
* Fecal Description - A little bit loose with some white stuff on it, maybe urine? No, he's never been tested for parasites as i know.
* History - I bought him from a reptile store, i dont no anything more, sorry.
* Current Problem - I think he eats to little and he's always black when the light turns off. And 5 days ago he was breathing with he's mouth when he wasnt angry, just sat there for 20 minutes, and he did it today to, but when the mouth is open i cant hear any clicking sounds, but I hearde it once but the mouth was closed then.

Please help me out!

Here are som pictures, I dont have the uv light on because it was a coil uv lamp and ill get a new on in two days!

And if he have a infection, what will the vetrinary give him and will he be okey? Is this a serious disease?

Here are som pictures, I dont have the uv light on because it was a coil uv lamp and ill get a new on in two days!

And if he have a infection, what will the vetrinary give him and will he be okey? Is this a serious disease?

If it is a respiratory infection it will likely claim his life if left untreated. We treat ours with Reptaid and they clear up quickly, generally within 3 days. But because there is a conflict of interest (we are the sole distributors of Reptaid) I can't actually recommend it to you.

A vet visit would definitely be in order. Describe the clicking sounds to the vet. It does sound like a respiratory infection. His chest looks expanded, too, which is another sign of resp infection.

Your basking temps might be a little high for a 3 month old. I would say perhaps no higher than 90. You can back off the vitamins to once a week, the calcium with D3 twice a week and the calcium w/o D3 for other feedings. Only dust VERY LIGHTLY. In a few more months you can back off the vitamins to twice a month, the Calcium with D3 to once a week and the calcium without D3 for the other feedings. Other than that your care looked good.

I've been able to cut down the 7-10 days to 3 or 4. I reply on clearing LRI by getting the cham in a hot steamy shower (on the top of the shower curtain/door and leaving them in that sauna). Then have a warm mist humidifier on the animal until it clears repeating the shower trick every day or several times a day. You're trying to get the mucus up and out of their lungs.

This is in conjunction with a general anti-botic prescribed by a vet usually Baytril.

I wish I could support the claims of ReptAid as it is non prescription but I've never been able to duplicate the success of Gesang.

Okey, thank you. I will call the vet tomorrow, How long time could he make it without visiting a vet? Im not saying that i wont go to a vet, i will defenitly, but im just wondering how serious this infection is.

When im taking him to the vet, how should I bring him? Because i live in seden and it's 41 degrees outside.

Can i shower my chameleon? He's only 3months.

What's happening is the same thing as a human with pneumonia. He can't breath and is drowning in mucus.

The showering will help break it up and make it easier. The sooner the better. Since he's only three months put a vine in the shower so he can feel secure and hold onto something. If he's used to you showering with him is no problem. If it stresses him out best to let him alone in the shower.

Remember you're after the mist not hot water touching his skin.

Best to make an appt with the vet. This will help in the meantime.

make an apointment asap..sooner is always better and cheaper!!!! also make sure the vet is very good with chams someone on here may be able to recomend a good vet to you. also when you take him to the vet make sure you warm up your car if you have one if not make arrangements. also if he is a calm cham he might rest on your chest beneath your jacket where its warm if not put him in a kritter keeper thats big enough for him and a vine to hold onto wrap a thick towel or blanket around it so cold air doesnt blow in it when going in and out of doors...that what i did with my cham last winter when i moved

I got a time to the vet in 4 days :(:( Will he be ok til then? Should i shower with him every day noe before we go to the vet?

Please help, i love this guy :(

I would give him warm showers to keep the mucus fluid. Also, another thing our vet recommends is to keep the chameleon slightly warmer at night than is usual. Our cham room drop to 68 at night. If I have a sick cham I try to keep it in the mid 70s at night, but no higher. This can be achieved by placing a nightime (red) heat bulb over the enclosure.

Can you help me a little more about the showers? Should i shower him once a day? and how hot water? And for how long time?

No you should shower your cham more. Maybe 3-4 times a day. And now you can maybe have 2 a day with long warm showers. maybe 10-20minutes each.

Normally 5-15 min

You're getting the right information. Just make sure the bathroom is 'steamy' The idea is to have the Cham breath in warm mist. So a warm shower is not as good as a hot steamy shower. Again you don't want the shower on the cham you're just creating a sauna.

Get a warm air humidifier. These can be purchased for ~$30. Keep a warm mist on the cham all the time. I find Chams with LRI will actually go to the mist and sit in it day/night as it helps them breath.

Yes, keep him warmer at night but I do recommend the humidifier to do this as a heat light can suck the humidity down. However, you do need to keep him around the temps as Gesang mentioned.

Thank you i hope he'll be alright, i will buy it today or tomorrow, I don't know what i would do without you gouys, this forum is perfect! Couldn't be better

I just got the warm air humidifier, should I have it on the whole night too? How many hours during the day, and what temperature should it be in the cage and what humidity level when he's sick? Please write back as soon as possible..

Just remember this is not taking the place of the vet. Keep that appointment, even if you see some improvement in your cham. With all the moisture, the clicking may stop, but the infection will remain.

Back
Top Bottom