Clear film on chameleons eye (pictures)

erik775

Established Member
So yesterday night I got home and noticed my Cham had one eye closed ...but it was late and I didn't want to shower her so I let her sleep...this morning I showered her in warm water and she ended up opening her eye but now I noticed that she has like a clear film over her eye ball or something like that...what should I do or what can it be? After the shower she seems to be able to open it better...View attachment 100526View attachment 100527

2uzupama.jpg
abe7ube8.jpg
aravyha9.jpg

Sorry for the double post...

Looks like a infection and I would get him to the vet. That eye looks sunken in too.
It's not sunken in the eye is out normal...it just has a clear like film over it...I am going to make a vet appointment tomorrow cause its closed today...

You can try rinsing it out with saline? Might just be eye goobers from something like shed getting in there.
Where can I buy saline from and how do I do it? Cause she has her eye closed a lot of the time like it bugging her...
ahe2u6ad.jpg

its the eye wash stuff~ Usually find it at CVS or walgreens by the contact solution.

But the vet is the best option.
Ok I will go buy some...cause I need to try and do something for the time being cause I'm planning on taking her to dr.greek but they usually give you appointments a few days later..

It resembles cataracts. It has the sheen of a dogs eye, when you see one who has cataracts. Can your chameleon see from it? Hunt from that side? Probably I'm wrong, as usual. As soon as I saw it I immediately thought it. Well anyway, the vet will give you an answer. Maybe ferret will chime in here soon and help. Good luck. :)

Ok I will go buy some...cause I need to try and do something for the time being cause I'm planning on taking her to dr.greek but they usually give you appointments a few days later..
I know I really hope ferret chimes in also...it's bugging the crap out of me...and I think the vet is going to give me an appointment in the middle or end of the week...

Geesh junglefries...it was thinking the same thing when I looked at the pictures. Hooe one of the vets speaks up.

I hope a vet chimes in too...or that at least tomorrow you will have an answer.
Yup same here... I rinsed her eye out today with eye wash but the clear film was still there on her eye... So tomorrow she will be going to the vet...

I agree that a vet visit is in best, though once in a while if the infection hasn't gotten entrenched yet, the saline rinses can help get rid of irritating debris and clear up a minor infection.
Rinsing with saline solution can be helpful until the vet visit. Typically eye infections are treated both with drops and an oral antibiotic.
You want to gently squirt the saline solution into the eye and fill it up so the lid puffs out temporarily.
I've used these for eye rinses http://m.cvs.com/mt/www.cvs.com/shop...jtt_v_menu=exp
AND have also used this one by Bausch and Lomb
This Bausch and Lomb solution is made with the same ingredients called Sensitive Eyes Plus http://m.cvs.com/mt/www.cvs.com/search/_/N-0?pt=global&searchTerm=Sensitive+Eyes+Plus&un_form_encoding=utf-8&un_jtt_searchCVS.x=19&un_jtt_searchCVS.y=10[/QUOTE]

You also want to review your care to see if something brought the infection on.
Stagnant water beneath a plant or poor air circulation or a missed cage cleaning can all be culprits.

Back
Top Bottom