Cleaning Dubia Cage?

Sancho

Well I couldn't find anything on here about cleaning a dubia cage but I've had them for about a year now and there is about 1/4 inch of dubia crap along the whole cage and today I decided to clean it completely out. Hopefully it wasn't a bad thing.

Did you know they actually don't mind and might possibly enjoy running around in their own fecal matter?

However it's not a bad thing to do a clean!

Did you know they actually don't mind and might possibly enjoy running around in their own fecal matter?

However it's not a bad thing to do a clean!

Yeah but I rather them not if they really don't need it. with the heat and water I don't want anything roasting in there lol.

I always put my hydration, whether it be carrots or water crystals, on top of something to keep the poop off and away from it.. I try to clean it daily as well.

Do what you want. :p

I always put my hydration, whether it be carrots or water crystals, on top of something to keep the poop off and away from it.. I try to clean it daily as well.

Do what you want. :p

I do the same with my water crystals but they seem to always knock them around all over the place.

I normally have them in a small tupperware container, I cute a hole in the egg crate so its easy for them to get in and out of.. I will see if I can't get pictures tomorrow, if I remember.

I would rather clean it seriously.
Not so much for the dubia, as i'm sure they do not mind swirling around in their mess.
But, people often develop allergies of roaches' fecal matter.

you should clean your dubia cage about every 90 days , but leave in a couple tsp of dubia pooh , because it is what the babies initially use for food. if you have a second container setup, it makes it super easy, without disturbing any more than neccessary, just put the egg crates in the new container, lay the skinny side of the old container over the new one, but keep about level, but DONT DUMP IN, most remaining roaches will run right in to the new container , you can just use bamboo skewers to chase the rest in , put in at least a tsp of fairly clean dubia pooh and you are good to go, takes about 5 min. way easier than trying to work around the dubia

Gross. I clean out, thoroughly, all my roach colonies monthly. No need to leave any crap behind. The adults will make plenty more in short order. The less crap in the bin, the less poo-ticulate to potentially become airborn allergens. My partner is allergic to dust and all sorts of things, so cleaning is even more important.

http://www.aerias.org/DesktopModules/ArticleDetail.aspx?articleID=90

"POO-TICULATE" is the word of the day. Roughly translated in bug terms, it means "flying crap":D:D

It seems we all POO-TICULATE at times on the forum, don't we?;)

Nick

I would rather clean it seriously.
Not so much for the dubia, as i'm sure they do not mind swirling around in their mess.
But, people often develop allergies of roaches' fecal matter.

I have them off in a storage room not in the house :D I cleaned it all out yesterday will do it every other month.

Speaking of Eww..

Funny enough, when cleaning out my Dubia container over the weekend, my Father was down, and he suggested putting the poo in a pepper grinder and putting it on my neighbors picnic table :p

I clean mine out every few months
the droppings can be a food source for beetles, gnat larva, bacteria and assorted fungus.
best to keep it clean.

the process is simple
by taking the egg crates and shaking them out into a new enclosure
(storage tub w/ new egg crates)
The old egg crates are then used as a transport carrier to lift the colony from one enclosure to another.

Question:
Whatever gave someone the idea of seeding with fecal matter?
Sorry but that is silly. While the young do indeed burry themselves in the litter
they don't survive upon the droppings...
I've watched them raid the fresh food just like everyone else.
Nor do I believe that those droppings are required to seed
their digestive systems with microflora. IF they did they'll be able to
pick it all up with the fresh excreta from the relocated adults.
Trust me, the adults will be dropping little fresh bombs
in the new enclosure as soon as you put them in there.

Just move them all into the fresh and cleaned container.

The Dubia will crawl up onto the crates as soon as they settle down
from you placing it in their container. So figure one move every 15 min.
I can get about 90% of all the dubia transported via the egg crate method within an hour or so
I usually let the crates rest in the old container overnight
The remainder will usually crawl up onto the crates in preference
to staying in the droppings *hiding* overnight.

when satisfied, I'll dispose of the remaining insects, droppings waste and the old egg crates
into a doubled up trash bag, tie it all off and discard into the trash... one bag tied inside the other.
There's still going to be a few D's left in there and you don't want them
to get out and frighten the neighbors.

I've been keeping them for 5 years now
this is the best method I've been able to work out thus far.

Back
Top Bottom